Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 19:44   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Folks, I have not been able to follow this thread in quite some time. Just in case anyone uses it for local info for St Augustine inlet, please be advised that the channel markers got moved North (!) a bit... It is still the best to hug the red buoys when traversing the inlet. When approaching from offshore, it almost looks as if the two reds and the green are in a 'line' - this is because they moved the green further North then the reds to avoid the shoal.

Even then, unfortunately, a 30 footer got in trouble a couple of days ago attempting to enter in heavy wind and seas: if not familiar with the inlet, it is difficult to see the markers when there is a stiff Norther and the resultant heavy seas.

http://m.news4jax.com/wap/news/text....=Top%20Stories

Be careful out there! Fair winds,

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:55   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
St Augustine inlet dredging has begun (yes!) as of March 2012. Here is some info on the current state of the inlet for those who may be heading our way:

The following info is what I observed when I sailed through the inlet last Saturday (March 17)

It appears they have removed all pairs of inlet markers except the very first pair after the sea buoy and the pair at the 'turn' location. Additionally, the two red buoys (once you get inside the jetty) have been moved around: There are still two reds but they are a lot closer to the jetty and along a NE-SW orientation... (used to be E-W) They are now marking the dredge pipes, etc type of obstructions and it is very important to leave these reds on starboard side while approaching/entering the jetty portion of the inlet.

During the approach from the sea buoy, one can find the 'turn' mark pair by lining up the sea buoy with the Vilano bridge (can't miss it; very large causeway bridge) and once at these (turn) marks, aim at the reds by the jetty (roughly a turn of about 30 degrees to port if my memory serves me right)

I have no idea what the newly dredged inlet location and direction will be. When they finish dredging, I'll try to post it here.

Hope this helps. Fair winds to all!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 03:02   #18

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: St Augustine Inlet (Shoaling) Info

I also went through last week. And found it confusing. The dredging equipment blocked some familiar landmarks I've previously used to line up the channel, especially coming in from the south. Most important is to start from the first channel mark and make sure the temporary green marker (5A as I recall), stays to port. Never saw less than 12 feet at low tide. Tried to call TowBoat/US for guidance, but they didn't reply. It will be nice when the dredging is complete.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 09:19   #19

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

It is nice to hear that they are finally dredging the inlet. My family and I plan on sailing down to St. Augustine in late June, so hopefully all will be well (and straight-forward) by then!
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 09:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
St Augustine inlet dredging has begun (yes!) as of March 2012. Here is some info on the current state of the inlet for those who may be heading our way:

The following info is what I observed when I sailed through the inlet last Saturday (March 17)

It appears they have removed all pairs of inlet markers except the very first pair after the sea buoy and the pair at the 'turn' location. Additionally, the two red buoys (once you get inside the jetty) have been moved around: There are still two reds but they are a lot closer to the jetty and along a NE-SW orientation... (used to be E-W) They are now marking the dredge pipes, etc type of obstructions and it is very important to leave these reds on starboard side while approaching/entering the jetty portion of the inlet.

During the approach from the sea buoy, one can find the 'turn' mark pair by lining up the sea buoy with the Vilano bridge (can't miss it; very large causeway bridge) and once at these (turn) marks, aim at the reds by the jetty (roughly a turn of about 30 degrees to port if my memory serves me right)

I have no idea what the newly dredged inlet location and direction will be. When they finish dredging, I'll try to post it here.

Hope this helps. Fair winds to all!

Sailndive
thanks for the update.
I plan on leaving St Augustine one day.
cheers
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 10:02   #21

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
thanks for the update.
I plan on leaving St Augustine one day.
cheers
And we will be coming from the South, into St Augustine. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote