Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 14:42   #1

SSB Net for Transat in May 2011

Hi People,

This is my first post on these forums so be gentle! Not even sure this is the correct forum to post on so please put me right if there's a more relevant one!

I'm planning on making a Transat from Titusville (Florida) to UK with a single stopover in the Azores. This will be my 7th Transat but for a change, this crossing will be with a SSB transceiver on board. In the past I've listened in to Herb (Southbound 2) on a receiver. I do also have an Iridium phone for email and weather.

I'd like to use the SSB for a daily social chat with other boats making the crossing at that time, swapping details of actual weather encountered, position reports, tall fishing stories. Crew constraints mean we'll be departing mid May and hoping to hit the Azores about 3 weeks later.

I've looked high and low but can't identify any established SSB nets for this fairly popular crossing although I already know of 2 boats departing around that time from my same marina - unfortunately they're not equipped with SSB transceivers! There must be loads of others? Does anyone know of any established SSB nets?

Otherwise, would anyone making this trip be interested in forming a temporary net for the crossing?

I can be contacted at briangonesailing (at) hotmail (dot) com or post a reply here. Thanks.

Cheers, Brian.
flobbergob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 15:01   #2
Eternal Member

Brian,

The Maritime Mobile Service Net (MMSN) on 14300 kHz USB daily from about noon to 8PM or so covers much of the North Atlantic. It is a ham net, however.

Within about 400-600 miles -- say out to Bermuda -- the WaterWay Net (7268 kHz LSB daily at 0745 EST) will work. It's a ham net also.

On the marine bands, the Cruizheimers Net (6516 kHz USB in winter and 8152 kHz USB in summer beginning at 0830 Eastern Time) will also work out as far as Bermuda.

Beyond that, I don't know of any marine net.

There's no reason you couldn't start an impromptu net, however, much as does the Caribbean 1500 and the TransAT rallys. Just choose a time -- or times -- and a frequency, and get the word out for others making the crossing.

BTW, WLO in New Orleans operates marine operator and WX services on a number of marine frequencies, many of which can reach well out into the North Atlantic.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:41   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Checking in to Cruiseheimers and the WRCC Nets is a good way to find other boats heading out at roughly the same time as you.

For a fleet net you are likely going to be best served on the 2 or 4 MHz marine bands or 80m ham band unless you get really spread out. If you try to use a regional or long-haul net you will all hear the net but not each other.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb