Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 17:05   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Sprint Global Roaming in Bahamas

Anyone using Sprint Global Roaming in the Bahamas? They said this is a relatively new plan, only available since December. Not clear on coverage, but they say they use the BTC network, although some question whether phones may be compatible with all antennas. We have an HTC One M8 and an IPhone 6 that we plan to use there, starting in about a month. Have the IPhone unlocked just in case it does not work, then we will be searching for a BTC sim card to get service. But I am hoping someone can comment on coverage experience there with Sprint, especially in the Exumas?

Cheap $0.20/minute voice, and free data and text - although limited to 2G speed. Can upgrade to 3G speed for a price.

https://www.sprint.com/landings/inte...:globalroaming

Can anyone comment on Sprint service in the Exumas? We have elderly parents and need to be in contact sometimes. We have an Inreach that we can text home anytime, but sometimes you just need a voice call.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:32   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Sprint Global Roaming in Bahamas

Sorry I have no direct experience with the Sprint roaming agreement, but I've used AT&T, Verizon and BTC itself on a phone I purchased in the Bahamas. Last time I went through the Exumas, cell coverage was fairly good overall, but there were definitely some areas I anchored where I had no reception.

When I took one unlocked iPhone and put a new sim card in it, the phone wouldn't work, asking me to re sync it with my computer first which I didn't have. I understand that may not be an issue with the newer generation iPhones. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can address that.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 14:33   #3

Boat: Pearson 422

We are traveling in the Bahamas with a boat that is using Sprint exactly as you describe. It works but is very slow. Apparently they are only getting 2g speeds. But the price is as advertised and their phones work

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 15:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
We are traveling in the Bahamas with a boat that is using Sprint exactly as you describe. It works but is very slow. Apparently they are only getting 2g speeds. But the price is as advertised and their phones work

THANKS. Are you heading down the Exumas? What is their experience there? Sprint said some of the larger islands would work, but were not real sure about thru the Exumas.
Old 06-03-2016, 16:46   #5

Just came up to Eleuthera from the Exumas. Pretty much same everywhere. We did some side by side comparisons (their Sprint vs our ATT w Intl plan). No comparison. Sprint works but crawls. Might be worth considering a prepaid BTC sim card if you really need to connect.

BTW- there are still stretches of the Exumas w spotty cell coverage- mostly around Exuma Park. We had very good success with a Wilson cell phone booster (<$100 incl a 14" antenna) that made it possible to connect just abt everywhere, although we did have to climb to the top of boo boo hill on Warderick wells even with the booster.

Have a great trip. The people here are fantastic!

Old 06-03-2016, 19:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
We had very good success with a Wilson cell phone booster (<$100 incl a 14" antenna) that made it possible to connect just abt everywhere, although we did have to climb to the top of boo boo hill on Warderick wells even with the booster.

Hmmm, I couldn't figure out which booster that is. Most show up as being much higher priced, and I don't see one with an antenna.

And when you referenced speed, you were talking about data - correct? Sprint is upfront that their basic Global service is 2G speed. THat is what you get for free. Can upgrade to 3G for a fee. But as you say, I suspect best bet is the BTC sim card.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:39   #7

Yes. Data. Of course, they use skype so are also talking with data. They rarely get video but fairly reliably get voice only on skype. The speed issue comes with web or email

The booster we use is a Wilson 460006/460106 (avail amazon and walmart) and an optional 14" antenna with a small coil in the middle. We were told the little 2" antenna that comes with it doesnt work well. Havent tried it so cant confirm. We always use the bigger antenna

Old 07-03-2016, 17:09   #8

Boat: Hunter 40.5

What about Google Project Fi? - in the US, it runs on sprint and t-mobile ( as well as WiFi) . Does it run on Sprint in the Bahamas as well? Anyone have experience with that?

/ed

https://fi.google.com/about/rates/?country=BS
Old 07-06-2016, 04:46   #9

I will close this out for the benefit of others who have sprint service and may be traveling to Bahamas. We have sprint plans in US, and used our phones in Bahamas via their Global Roaming plan. For my HTC phone, that just meant turning on global roaming and data. For my wife's I-phone, the instructions were a bit more difficult so you should contact sprint for that.

Before we left, sprint rep said the plan would work in some larger islands, but some of BTC towers were incomparable with our newer phones. That all turned out to be wrong. Our phones worked with every BTC tower. North Bimini, Nassau, chub, all thru the exumas except in the Exuma Park - as there are no towers. Was able to get good voice service, texting no problem, and even kept up with this forum, passageweather sites. The speed is only 2G, but didn't really notice it. Cost was confirmed on my bill at $0.20 per voice minute, free texting and free data. Plus I have an underlying sprint plan I was still paying for.

Compared to BTC $0.90 per minute, it was good deal. And when you need to upload data, just find a restaurant or marina with Wi-Fi. Just need to be a patron as all we found were secured servers. No problem.

Tags
Bahamas