Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15   #1
cruiser

Spanish Virgin Islands

I just got back from the Spanish and US Virgin Islands........Great trip and would highly recommend Spanish Islands.

You can see trip on my blog:

ON WET PAINT
wet paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:53   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wet paint View Post
I just got back from the Spanish and US Virgin Islands........Great trip and would highly recommend Spanish Islands.

You can see trip on my blog:

ON WET PAINT
Look's like you guys had a very good trip. One of you seems to have been a killer fisherman, did you actually eat all those fish or catch and release? WHat did you think of the marina in St. Thomas? When we were in that harbor that location seemed to leave a bit to be desired. Still so?

Cheers...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Thanks for sharing the blog. I enjoyed my time there as well and your blog makes me want to spend more time there.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:15   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
thankyou for the report--- you followed a similar track to the one i was shown when i was there in 2008, december-- i WILL return in my own ketch to redo the journey in diferent direction so as to make optimal use of the winds and currents--is sooo beautiful there-- i cant wait to get back!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39   #5
cruiser

Thanks

SV- We killed the fish on our long runs......I do a lot of fishing in New England, but this was pretty easy fishing......We went about an hour without a fish and I put a stinger rig onto my primary rig and we nailed two fish.....We trolled one rig in lieu of two....I made my own rods (38") so I can carry and store easy on boats and carry on the plane.....We only kept one the yellow tail to eat....All others were catch and release except the mahi that was chewed in 1/2......St Thomas (charlotte) is not my favorite....The marina and shops are beautiful, but they better start getting some yachts in there or you might buy on .50 on the dollar....All brand new......I liked red hook better......

Thanks Naut

Zee.....We could only really sail on our return from st thomas to puerto rico due to winds on the nose........yes, i would do things differently, but my buddy's wife only let him off the leash for one week
wet paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:55   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wet paint View Post
SV- We killed the fish on our long runs......I do a lot of fishing in New England, but this was pretty easy fishing......We went about an hour without a fish and I put a stinger rig onto my primary rig and we nailed two fish.....We trolled one rig in lieu of two....I made my own rods (38") so I can carry and store easy on boats and carry on the plane.....We only kept one the yellow tail to eat....All others were catch and release except the mahi that was chewed in 1/2......St Thomas (charlotte) is not my favorite....The marina and shops are beautiful, but they better start getting some yachts in there or you might buy on .50 on the dollar....All brand new......I liked red hook better......

Thanks Naut

Zee.....We could only really sail on our return from st thomas to puerto rico due to winds on the nose........yes, i would do things differently, but my buddy's wife only let him off the leash for one week
lol yup gotcha--mine was a timed tip also--next is not timed at all. fishing--love it-- ty for the tips even tho for someone else..LOL... i listen in, as it were.charlotte amalie was so busy-- too busy but had access to stuff on that side of st thomas--red hook was not accessible to private yachts of small size. no anchorage and no mooring balls. i dont do marinas if i can help it. there were other and better anchorages in different parts of water island.
water island at charlotte had moorings and allowed us to anchor. there was a boat like mine anchored right astern of us..LOL... gave me big hopes of seeing mine there too. just have a small land mass in my way with a tiny canal .......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote