Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 10:23   #1

Small boat for the Fla. Keys

My wife and I are planning to spend four to six weeks in Fla. this winter. We spent three weeks last winter on the gulf side and rented small sailboats to day sail. This summer I took a week sailing class in the San Juan Islands and got a bare boat cert., We don't have a lot of experience but would like to find a pocket cruiser ( 19 to 26 ft.) to sail in the Keys. I haven't found any one that rents small cruisers, can anyone help?
And thanks for any advice.
joe faro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 10:30   #2

Boat: 1982 Catalina 30
Re: Small boat for the Fla. Keys

It would probably be cheaper in the long run to purchase a small sailboat in florida, sail it for the six weeks, and sell it.
theatiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:31   #3

I did think of buying a trailer sailor and then leave it in storage to use on our next trip. What would it cost for storage in Sothern Fla. and would I have to worry about damage from rain or mold, etc..
Old 22-09-2014, 12:44   #4

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

These guys rent waterfront cottages that include unlimited use of their pocket cruisers. I think they use Catalina 22's or similar.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...4._NpnHf2p21W8-
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 04:06   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

How far from Florida do you live? You could just trailer the boat home, and then back to FL next year. Then you could keep it in your yard, or somewhere local, and tinker with it as much as you wish in the off-season.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 04:46   #6

Sorry for bad link. It is the Key Lime Sailing Club.
Old 23-09-2014, 15:53   #7

Boat: Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe faro View Post
I did think of buying a trailer sailor and then leave it in storage to use on our next trip. What would it cost for storage in Sothern Fla. and would I have to worry about damage from rain or mold, etc..

You should be able to keep something like that up on the hard for $150 a month. Many of us do it... You put her away as best you can and take your chances. This year it will be 5 weeks next it will be two months... It's addictive. Best...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 08:30   #8

Thanks Steve, but I don't want to stay in a cottage and day sail. I want to stay on a boat and cruise the Keys.
We live in Colo. and are planning on driving down towing a camper. We would put the truck and camper in storage wherever we find a boat and then sail . If I can line up a boat before we go, we would just fly down.
Thanks.
Old 24-09-2014, 08:48   #9

O'day 25 with CB would probably be a good choice. It's well built (especially for a trailerable boat), definitely has enough berth room for 2 adults+2 kids and has a decent size cockpit with great lockers. And very easy to sail. Also very forgiving with 2' draft with the board up (6' with CB down), you can almost beach it at the right kind of beach. And the best part they're relatively cheap and plentiful as about 3,000 were built and one in very good shape can be found for under $5K, with luck under $3K, even with a trailer. Diesel models of course a little more if the engine is in good shape. If you look go for the 1979 or later models as those have anchor lockers, large pull out double berth in the cabin and sturdier ports.

On the minus side - the standing room is only 5'6" and it has limited galley/icebox space but those can be improvised as there is plenty of space all over for coolers, stores, etc. And the CB version tends to be a little squirely in waves and winds but than again sailing in the keys you will probably be going from key to key on the inside anyway.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 09:29   #10

logistically this is sounding like a complicated process which is not what you are after, even buying (not that simple) and then storage will also chew up your time, let alone come down the following year and think you will just plop it in and go will not happen, keep looking for a charter, that way you fly down and go, might even want to think about the islands.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 10:23   #11

Joe, other than using a charter company, you might do a search for sailboat day rentals in the Keys and see if you can find a company that will charter one of their day sailors for a few weeks (if the boat meets your needs). Their insurance may not allow it, but worth a try. Also, winter is their high season, so availability may be an issue. Here's a link to sailboats on craigslist: florida keys boats "sailboat" - craigslist Looks like there are several for sale that would fit your needs.
Maybe you can talk someone into renting you their unsold boat.
Old 25-09-2014, 07:52   #12

Thanks for everyone's input. I have looked at Craig's List, and I've looked at other online sailboat sites. We may just have to wing it and see if someone will rent a boat they have for sale when we get there in Jan.
Or I might find a sailboat in Colo. and we can camp in it towing it to Fla.
Old 25-09-2014, 09:12   #13

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Camping in the boat on the way down is a fine idea. I've towed our boat from NY to Miami and back, and slept on board in truck stops both ways. It's quite nice -- all the familiar comforts of home.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote