Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 18:24   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 309
Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

I'm considering meeting someone in the coconut Grove area. I've been studying navionics and and Google Earth trying to make some kind of sense of this area. The problem is there is SO MUCH information in this small area in navionics I'm overwhelmed.

The anchorages look like skinny water. The notes mention a public dinghy dock, but I cannot find it. I see several dinghy docks on Google Earth but I don't know which is considered the public dock/City marina.

I'd like to either find a decent day anchorage spot with a dinghy dock nearby, or a restaurant with a dock I can either dinghy to our tie to with a 27' boat, 4' 8" draft.

Any suggestions??

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 18:46   #2
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 16,468
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

Seminole boat ramp maybe.
Grove Isle Marina?
__________________
Num Me Vexo?
For all of your celestial navigation questions: http: fer3.com
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 19:15   #3
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,845
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

Just follow the channel markers through the moorings just south of Miami city marina heading west and you'll run right into them.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 19:21   #4
Registered User
 
Captain Bill's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Punta Gorda, Fl
Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Posts: 3,011
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

I just looked at the satellite view of the Seminole boat ramp near the dinner key marina. The dock to the north that doesn't look like it's connected to the shore used to be the dinghy dock before Irma. Last time I was there Dinner Key was letting people use their dinghy dock until the city repaired the city dinghy dock. I'm not sure when the picture was taken, but it doesn't look like the city has dome anything to it yet. Dinner Key's dinghy dock is further east along the seawall and you can see lots of dinghys tied up to it in the satellite view. You can safely anchor just outside of the mooring field in about 7ft of water and dinghy in.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 23:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Yucatan, Mexico
Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch
Posts: 169
Images: 2
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

I agree with this quote about Dinner Cay Marina's dinghy dock, I was there for a few weeks there years back and it was welcoming. The anchorage is OK but holding is not great, I would have liked a 500 pound fisherman anchor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I just looked at the satellite view of the Seminole boat ramp near the dinner key marina. The dock to the north that doesn't look like it's connected to the shore used to be the dinghy dock before Irma. Last time I was there Dinner Key was letting people use their dinghy dock until the city repaired the city dinghy dock. I'm not sure when the picture was taken, but it doesn't look like the city has dome anything to it yet. Dinner Key's dinghy dock is further east along the seawall and you can see lots of dinghys tied up to it in the satellite view. You can safely anchor just outside of the mooring field in about 7ft of water and dinghy in.
Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 05:07   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Boat: Mariner36
Posts: 43
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

The public dinghy dock is next to the boat ramp, you'll pass the marina's dinghy dock which is always crowded on your right, the public dock is marked and will be on your left
bkrizmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 05:23   #7
Registered User
 
s/v Moondancer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami
Boat: Boatless
Posts: 1,552
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

We sail out of the Grove at Coconut Grove Sailing Club...

You can anchor outside the Dinner Key mooring field but holding is poor. It is much more sensible to get a guest mooring at www.CGSC.org where there is a free 24/7 launch service. If the Club does not have a mooring you can get a mooring at Dinner Key but the launch service is not 24/7.
__________________
Phil

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 07:47   #8
Registered User
 
JasonS's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Currently cruising the Bahamas
Boat: Manta 40
Posts: 198
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

We were just there a few weeks ago. If you can get a mooring at Coconut Grove Sailing Club do that. It’s easy and they are wonderful.

The public docks are open and are in great shape. I’d lock up your dinghy there and most places in Miami, just like I would lock a car.

An alternative is to go across the Bay to No Name Harbor and meet your guest there. You can tie to the wall during the day with your boat beginning 8am until 11pm. No overnight allowed on the wall.
You can also anchor inside or Outside No Name Harbor and dinghy in. They’ll probably be 25-75 boats there, many getting ready to cross to the Bahamas.

There’s a restaurant and a bar in No Name Harbor. And download the Freebee app and you can get free rides around key Biscayne where there are multiple restaurants.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 10:24   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Posts: 652
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

There is a public dinghy dock landward of the Dinner Key dinghy dock. A year ago the Dinner Key one was crowded but they don't seem to worry too much about non-mooring people using it. Public dock was pretty open. There is room to anchor not that far out along the channel coming into Dinner Key.


Other option might be over at No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne if they want to that far.


Edit: guess I should have refreshed my page before posting. Sorry for the redundancy.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 11:55   #10
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 10,210
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
I'm considering meeting someone in the coconut Grove area. I've been studying navionics and and Google Earth trying to make some kind of sense of this area. The problem is there is SO MUCH information in this small area in navionics I'm overwhelmed.

The anchorages look like skinny water. The notes mention a public dinghy dock, but I cannot find it. I see several dinghy docks on Google Earth but I don't know which is considered the public dock/City marina.

I'd like to either find a decent day anchorage spot with a dinghy dock nearby, or a restaurant with a dock I can either dinghy to our tie to with a 27' boat, 4' 8" draft.

Any suggestions??

- AT
Unless things have changed, I think you can anchor just off of Scotty's Landing and dinghy in and tie to their bulkhead. Good food and atmosphere.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 14:24   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 46,380
Images: 241
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Unless things have changed, I think you can anchor just off of Scotty's Landing and dinghy in and tie to their bulkhead. Good food and atmosphere.
I think Scotty's is now Regatta Harbor [the smaller one, bottom right].
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone familiar with Coconut Grove-Stuart ICW? avb3 Navigation 15 13-02-2014 19:23
moorings in coconut grove defever Atlantic & the Caribbean 5 28-02-2013 15:38
Vero beach to coconut grove BEENONLAND Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 30-05-2012 12:31
Machine Shop Near Miami / Coconut Grove sgtPluck Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 19-03-2011 10:52

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.