Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 17:24   #1

Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

I'm considering meeting someone in the coconut Grove area. I've been studying navionics and and Google Earth trying to make some kind of sense of this area. The problem is there is SO MUCH information in this small area in navionics I'm overwhelmed.

The anchorages look like skinny water. The notes mention a public dinghy dock, but I cannot find it. I see several dinghy docks on Google Earth but I don't know which is considered the public dock/City marina.

I'd like to either find a decent day anchorage spot with a dinghy dock nearby, or a restaurant with a dock I can either dinghy to our tie to with a 27' boat, 4' 8" draft.

Any suggestions??

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 17:46   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Shore access in coconut Grove Florida

Seminole boat ramp maybe.
Grove Isle Marina?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 18:15   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Just follow the channel markers through the moorings just south of Miami city marina heading west and you'll run right into them.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 18:21   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I just looked at the satellite view of the Seminole boat ramp near the dinner key marina. The dock to the north that doesn't look like it's connected to the shore used to be the dinghy dock before Irma. Last time I was there Dinner Key was letting people use their dinghy dock until the city repaired the city dinghy dock. I'm not sure when the picture was taken, but it doesn't look like the city has dome anything to it yet. Dinner Key's dinghy dock is further east along the seawall and you can see lots of dinghys tied up to it in the satellite view. You can safely anchor just outside of the mooring field in about 7ft of water and dinghy in.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 22:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

I agree with this quote about Dinner Cay Marina's dinghy dock, I was there for a few weeks there years back and it was welcoming. The anchorage is OK but holding is not great, I would have liked a 500 pound fisherman anchor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I just looked at the satellite view of the Seminole boat ramp near the dinner key marina. The dock to the north that doesn't look like it's connected to the shore used to be the dinghy dock before Irma. Last time I was there Dinner Key was letting people use their dinghy dock until the city repaired the city dinghy dock. I'm not sure when the picture was taken, but it doesn't look like the city has dome anything to it yet. Dinner Key's dinghy dock is further east along the seawall and you can see lots of dinghys tied up to it in the satellite view. You can safely anchor just outside of the mooring field in about 7ft of water and dinghy in.
Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 04:07   #6

Boat: Mariner36

The public dinghy dock is next to the boat ramp, you'll pass the marina's dinghy dock which is always crowded on your right, the public dock is marked and will be on your left
bkrizmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 04:23   #7

Boat: Boatless

We sail out of the Grove at Coconut Grove Sailing Club...

You can anchor outside the Dinner Key mooring field but holding is poor. It is much more sensible to get a guest mooring at www.CGSC.org where there is a free 24/7 launch service. If the Club does not have a mooring you can get a mooring at Dinner Key but the launch service is not 24/7.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 06:47   #8

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We were just there a few weeks ago. If you can get a mooring at Coconut Grove Sailing Club do that. It’s easy and they are wonderful.

The public docks are open and are in great shape. I’d lock up your dinghy there and most places in Miami, just like I would lock a car.

An alternative is to go across the Bay to No Name Harbor and meet your guest there. You can tie to the wall during the day with your boat beginning 8am until 11pm. No overnight allowed on the wall.
You can also anchor inside or Outside No Name Harbor and dinghy in. They’ll probably be 25-75 boats there, many getting ready to cross to the Bahamas.

There’s a restaurant and a bar in No Name Harbor. And download the Freebee app and you can get free rides around key Biscayne where there are multiple restaurants.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 09:24   #9

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

There is a public dinghy dock landward of the Dinner Key dinghy dock. A year ago the Dinner Key one was crowded but they don't seem to worry too much about non-mooring people using it. Public dock was pretty open. There is room to anchor not that far out along the channel coming into Dinner Key.

Other option might be over at No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne if they want to that far.

Edit: guess I should have refreshed my page before posting. Sorry for the redundancy.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 10:55   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
I'm considering meeting someone in the coconut Grove area. I've been studying navionics and and Google Earth trying to make some kind of sense of this area. The problem is there is SO MUCH information in this small area in navionics I'm overwhelmed.

The anchorages look like skinny water. The notes mention a public dinghy dock, but I cannot find it. I see several dinghy docks on Google Earth but I don't know which is considered the public dock/City marina.

I'd like to either find a decent day anchorage spot with a dinghy dock nearby, or a restaurant with a dock I can either dinghy to our tie to with a 27' boat, 4' 8" draft.

Any suggestions??

- AT
Unless things have changed, I think you can anchor just off of Scotty's Landing and dinghy in and tie to their bulkhead. Good food and atmosphere.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 13:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Unless things have changed, I think you can anchor just off of Scotty's Landing and dinghy in and tie to their bulkhead. Good food and atmosphere.
I think Scotty's is now Regatta Harbor [the smaller one, bottom right].

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida