Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 17:57   #211
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Security

"I don't carry a gun ... but I might. I know myself enough to know that I could kill another human being if my life depended on it and I know that I am not fast enough or strong enough to compete with a professional gun thug. But I might just be smarter and have quicker wits."

I absolutely could kill another human being if it came down to him or me -- or one of my children. And, I would sleep well that night. Any concerns I have do not include whether or not I would pull the trigger if I needed to.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:05   #212

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. Shakespeare had it right. Walk or sail where you want and can. Avoid obvious hazards but living in fear will hamstring you.
Old 31-07-2013, 18:12   #213
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
"I don't carry a gun ... but I might. I know myself enough to know that I could kill another human being if my life depended on it and I know that I am not fast enough or strong enough to compete with a professional gun thug. But I might just be smarter and have quicker wits."

I absolutely could kill another human being if it came down to him or me -- or one of my children. And, I would sleep well that night. Any concerns I have do not include whether or not I would pull the trigger if I needed to.
Sociopath...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:15   #214
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sociopath...

Well, that's better than psychopath! From you, It's a compliment!
Old 31-07-2013, 18:23   #215
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, that's better than psychopath! From you, It's a compliment!
ROFL....

Old 31-07-2013, 19:05   #216

Boat: Pearson Triton
Re: Security Bars/Grates

Someone asked about metal bars/grates many pages back. No, I don't have an online source even though I scoured the net. For local fabrication in the US I was getting ridiculous quotes...near and over a thousand bucks.

I took some exact measurements and had these 316L stainless grates custom made while on vacation in Ecuador. They slide into reinforced stainless u-channel in my companionway. Took the guy 2 days -- 1 to get the material and a half day to make. Total cost = $150 (but this also included another custom piece I had made that was much more complicated, so I'm guessing less than $100 for just the grates). For the price difference I feel like I got a free plane ticket!

They are heavy but stout. I'm still trying to come up with a design for the forward hatch that is quickly removable if any one has any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	64929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	64930  

vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:37   #217
cruiser

Re: Security Bars/Grates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver25 View Post
Someone asked about metal bars/grates many pages back. No, I don't have an online source even though I scoured the net. For local fabrication in the US I was getting ridiculous quotes...near and over a thousand bucks.

I took some exact measurements and had these 316L stainless grates custom made while on vacation in Ecuador. They slide into reinforced stainless u-channel in my companionway. Took the guy 2 days -- 1 to get the material and a half day to make. Total cost = $150 (but this also included another custom piece I had made that was much more complicated, so I'm guessing less than $100 for just the grates). For the price difference I feel like I got a free plane ticket!

They are heavy but stout. I'm still trying to come up with a design for the forward hatch that is quickly removable if any one has any ideas.

You might find that what you need for the forward hatch is already made. We lived in a borderline neighborhood and had such bars over the basement window. it was easily undone from the inside in case of a fire but not from the outside. Drive around any city and you will see them in all sorts of sized.

To slide into a companionway, it would have to be custom made, but maybe not for the forward hatch.

You can't keep everyone out. But you can make it hard.
Old 31-07-2013, 20:52   #218

Boat: PT-11
Quote:

You might find that what you need for the forward hatch is already made. We lived in a borderline neighborhood and had such bars over the basement window. it was easily undone from the inside in case of a fire but not from the outside.
50 posts ago you were looking for info, now you've got it all figured out? If you know any ready made bars that will attach to a Moonlight overhead hatch and lock in a way that people inside but not outside can readily open, let me know. Bonus if it is strong enough so that it can't be just kicked in.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 00:34   #219
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

That is true of most of the human race, especially mothers. Most don't do it , because they are restrained or try and fail. Humans arnt sheep.

Dave
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53   #220
Armchair Bucketeer

As I mentioned on another thread, I am going to make some companionway grills out of oven shelves! (I have collected a couple, just done SFA about it as no need around here)....obviously smaller than the companionways themselves (I also have an aft cabin) but will be making a frame out of wood.......clearly they won't survive a sustained assault, but am regarding them simply as an anti sneak thief device and a noise alarm for the more determined......likely I will also use them to allow the hatches to remain open for ventilation when am away from the boat, albeit that will be in more civilised waters than some of the places folks here seem to frequent.

There is a possibility that I may even dispense with the oven shelves and go for 90% wood, with or without some metal reinforcement.....but I stumbled across the shelves for free, so will start my hands on ponderings with them.

My guess on getting something fabricated is that you either have to be very sure on your measurements or get to suck up the cost of someone visiting the boat to measure and to fit, but at least then not fitting is down to them and not you!.....or maybe as a compromise get the grills made smaller than needed and then fit yerself (with wood to make up the gap / for the sliding)
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00   #221

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

When measuring for a "prison's window", allow a few mm reduction in size for metal expansion when it gets hot outside.

Mauritz
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06   #222

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
broken record ...
Yes, we should get back to the point - what guns to use on board.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12   #223
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
As I mentioned on another thread, I am going to make some companionway grills out of oven shelves! (I have collected a couple, just done SFA about it as no need around here)....obviously smaller than the companionways themselves (I also have an aft cabin) but will be making a frame out of wood.......clearly they won't survive a sustained assault, but am regarding them simply as an anti sneak thief device and a noise alarm for the more determined......likely I will also use them to allow the hatches to remain open for ventilation when am away from the boat, albeit that will be in more civilised waters than some of the places folks here seem to frequent.

There is a possibility that I may even dispense with the oven shelves and go for 90% wood, with or without some metal reinforcement.....but I stumbled across the shelves for free, so will start my hands on ponderings with them.

My guess on getting something fabricated is that you either have to be very sure on your measurements or get to suck up the cost of someone visiting the boat to measure and to fit, but at least then not fitting is down to them and not you!.....or maybe as a compromise get the grills made smaller than needed and then fit yerself (with wood to make up the gap / for the sliding)
Dave... the problem is not so much the filling (grate) its the slide it fixes into that's the weak link in the chain...
To be honest 1/2" lexan or similar with spaced air vent holes would suvive a good kicking for long enough for you to get dressed, assemble your Mossberg and brew a coffee before having to take action...
However if the 'Invader' has a crowbar.. or even just a long heavy duty screwdriver that wood slide is gonna last less than a minute...
Its like the average house door that can be opened with one well placed kick if the frames set for it to open inwards.. and most are..

Old 01-08-2013, 11:23   #224
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
However if the 'Invader' has a crowbar.. or even just a long heavy duty screwdriver that wood slide is gonna last less than a minute............Its like the average house door that can be opened with one well placed kick if the frames set for it to open inwards.. and most are.
Cheers for the heads up , with smashing my way in to reach someone I am outside of my personal direct experience.....was simply going to take the approach of thinking through how I could do it.....which came up with the highest risk being opening up the hatch to investigate a noise on deck as you stick your head out to have a peek.......

But you've not seen the sort of stuff I end up building , it's not so much about "quality" more that I seem to naturally lean towards building stuff that will likely survive armageddon .....the penalty is usually a bit () of weight. and time .

In any event, all I need is to buy time to get out of bed with whatever I have already decided would be that night's implement of choice ........unlike for some that is plan B - Plan A being to avoid visiting places where that scenario is likely to happen.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58   #225
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
When measuring for a "prison's window", allow a few mm reduction in size for metal expansion when it gets hot outside.

Mauritz
another good tip, keep a file and a hacksaw blade handy in case you lose the key
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security