Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17   #1

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
SAR Mystery Solved

Now that I'm within good phone reception (wifi, Vonage), I called the CG number I'd posted here earlier.

After some lovely chatter about our gratitude for the *real* extraction we enjoyed a couple of years ago, the desk guy called me back after looking up the file.

It was, indeed, a concerned friend, one who's given me hands-on assistance with a knotty problem I had aboard as well as email assistance on others of the same ilk, and with whom I communicate fairly often, who called. Given the realities of the time, a bit overreactive, and likely the friend had no clue that a full-scale search would be launched as a result of his call.

However, when I was talking with the CG guy, and expressed horror and remorse at the level of unneeded response, he said "Don't worry about it. No big deal. It's what we do."

So, unless the CG contacts me for further info, that's how I'm accepting it - it's "what they do" - and all in a day's work.

I expect that all the media was a bit like the game of "telephone" - info started one way, and by the time it had been passed along, edited, enhanced and otherwise molded for their purposes, it grew into a media event. LOL, prolly even more folks we've never heard of will hail us asking us if we're that famous Flying Pig (you'd have to read back in last years logs to see what I mean in detail about that) :{))

Never a shrinking violet, like someone famous once said, there's no such thing as bad publicity - only "NO" publicity. So, while it's embarrassing, if you let it be so, I have always held the position that if it won't matter in 5 years, or if I can laugh about it later, I'll laugh about it now. I have to admit, it's been nice seeing that lovely picture, from Georgetown last year, of our home shown to several TV audiences. Much better than the one on the title page of my gallery :{))

Enjoying Manjack Cay, soon to go to Green Turtle Cay (see the spot page), in the Abacos. Saw a couple of nurse sharks swimming up close and personal yesterday on the beach inside the scoop at the north side, but no good snorkeling and not the first fish on the line :{/)

L8R, ya'll

Skip and crew

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at Web-Folio -- Your Portfolio on the Web !
Follow us at TheFlyingPigLog : Morgan 461 Hull #2, Flying Pig
and/or Flying Pig Log | Google Groups

"You are never given a wish without also being given the power to
make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:03   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Good old media - not letting the facts get in the way of a good story (I also was once a victim of them).
Glad to hear you are OK and 'twas only a "storm in a teacup"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote