Thanks for the prompt replies.
I finally found a SeaTow that covers the area and he says that all of the markers are in place and accurate. He also recommended anchoring
up Black Beard Creek on the south side of the inlet. If that anchorage doesn't look good we will go further in and try one of the anchorages that you suggested.
We will be leaving Hilton Head
via Tybee Roads and my wife won't do another overnight run, so we needed something between Tybee and St Marys. Sapelo is almost exactly half way and can be done in day light.
We left Charleston on Friday morning with a weather
forcast of 10-15 out of the N, what we got was glass. Not a puff of anything. The forecast
for Friday night was 5-10 out of the N, what we got was 20-25 from the south (yes, we were heading SSW). From 23:00 until 04:00 we made 13nm headway. At that point we gave up and ran back to Tybee (about 24nm), arriving at about 0630. We really got the **** kicked out of us and now my wife won't do another overnighter. If I could find the idiots at NOAA, I'd "bitch-slap" them!!!<g>
Hopefully three months in the Bahamas
and lots of sundowners will fog
her memory of the trip.