Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40   #16

Boat: Pearson 33'
Re: San Juan, Puerto Rico to Cartagena, Colombia Passage

Thanks Hud!
Looking for something a bit smaller (the "lake" inland is only 26km by 6km), but will contact JC when we go out to C'gena to look around.
Cheers!
LandlockdSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockdSailor
Hi all... I know this thread is a bit old, but it was helpful. We recently got posted to Colombia for work and have been looking for a 20'-30' cruiser to sail on a decent-sized reservoir close to Bogota. There are not a lot of boats in this market, and when they come up they are very overpriced. One thing we were considering was sailing one from Puerto Rico to Cartagena. For those who have done the passage through the Leeward islands, is this something to do on such a small boat? We chartered a 52' Beneteau in the BVI 2 years ago, and the stretch from Virgin Gorda to Anegada was fun, but big swells that tossed the boat about pretty good. We're trying to determine whether it's safer to sail ourselves, or hire a crew... and get an idea on prices.
Any thoughts?
LL-
My wife and I moved to Cartagena last summer. One of the challenges I think you might encounter has to do with what flag a prospective boat is under. We don't own a boat down here, no first hand knowledge - so please research the "bar talk" that follows... Colombian flagged vessels have had their import duties paid and therefore demand a steep premium to their US or CAD counterparts. US flagged vessels are subject to a 3 or 6 month permit- don't know how they'll handle that if you put her on an inland lake. Here in CTG, folks seem to hop over to Panama to renew that re-entry. Let alone the headaches of shipping a boat from the coast.
Very interested to hear what you find and eventually buy. There's an "pricey" Cheoy Lee 35 that we've seen (colombian flag) and a very reasonably priced WS32 both in CTG... I'm sure there are more down at Nautico, just tend to be a bit larger than the LOA you mentioned.
Cheers
satirelounge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena, Colombia, Puerto Rico, san juan