Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 05:48   #16

Re: Sailing to St. Croix

SmartMove, Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate the honest first-hand account. I've had similar apprehension other places -- some areas of STT and SXM to name a couple and I'm not saying I enjoy that. If I go, it is not for land-based activities, which would seem to limit the negative aspects. The main point is to do the passage just to do it (it's very tempting sitting there on the horizon) and then to scuba dive in some different places. Sound like an appropriate plan would be to sail down, spend a couple of days diving and sail back, spending little time ashore in well-lit, populated places carrying no valuables.

I'm still wondering if anyone has experience permitting a bareboat to anchor at Buck Island. Anyone have any insight on that?
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 06:25   #17
cruiser

I was a liveaboard there for several months and loved STX and would go back if opportunity arises. Never made it out to Buck Island so no help there.

I was a country bumpkin I guess inasmuch as where I came from we left the keys in the pickup truck and house keys? Where the heck are they? We never lock the house anyway. You know that terribly dangerous place called the USA. Anyone with even a little city street smarts I'm sure would be fine. Hint: If you go to a cash machine do so with a group and during the middle of the day

Met a lot of wonderful people who would do anything to help you. Step off the curb and the cars stop to let you cross. Backup lights come one - cars stop to let you out of a parking spot! AMAZING! Traffic light turns green and someone honks the horn instantaneously LOL. Whole 'nother world for a boy from the "sea" of corn in the American Midwest

I could sit for hours at Point Udall ........

Just learn "Caribbean Courtesy" and you'll do fine.

I would strongly advise anyone going down island to read "Don't Stop the Carnival" first
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 06:39   #18

Thanks, Mikee. Your comments are consistent with a large number I've seen all over the internet. I'll find the book you recommend.

Tom
Old 20-07-2012, 07:52   #19

Boat: Beneteau 473
Like you, one of the reason we wanted to go was for the passage experience. We also wanted to see the island because we were interested in buying a house and were looking at different locations.

You know, in all honestly, it was only in Christiansted we were uncomfortable -- and even then only in certain areas. As Mike said anyone with some streets smarts would figure out the places not to go. We had the boat in a marina in Christiansted, it was very hot and buggy. In retrospect, I don't know why we just didn't move the boat out of the marina and go around to Frederiksted and drop the hook. We liked that area very much.

We are planning to go back to STX this winter before heading out for points south. We are also interested in anyone's experience at Buck Island.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 08:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
You know, in all honestly, it was only in Christiansted we were uncomfortable -- and even then only in certain areas. As Mike said anyone with some streets smarts would figure out the places not to go. We had the boat in a marina in Christiansted, it was very hot and buggy. In retrospect, I don't know why we just didn't move the boat out of the marina and go around to Frederiksted and drop the hook. We liked that area very much.

Now, a buggy marina is something truly frightening. I 'll stay out in the anchorage.

Tags
sailing