Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2011, 12:08   #1

Sailing to Bermuda

I have a 33' Morgan and am wondering if any one could give me some tips on sailing to Bermuda in it and about how many days it could take to get there from Norfolk, VA area.
Smith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 12:16   #2

Boat: Malö 116 39'
Re: Sailing to Bermuda

If you can catch up on the right side of Irene it will go very fast.

In general for a trip for more than 400 M you can count on 100 M per day.
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 12:19   #3

Ok that sounds good I'm planning on leaving in November any tips on crossing the gulf stream?
Old 05-09-2011, 13:08   #4

I recommend traveling south in November in the NARC rally. Strength and protection in numbers as you travel to Bermuda.

Lisa
lreslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 13:44   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Pick a good day to cross the stream; NE winds are the worst. I usually go down to Hatteras and cross wher the stream is its narrowest. A good weather source is needed - I have used MaxSea weather routing for 8 years and it hasn't done me wrong. Are you planning to stay in Bermuda or head South from there?
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 16:56   #6

I am planning to stay in Bermuda and then travel back to the states. Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 06-09-2011, 17:56   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

DO NOT trust the historical records for what weather to expect in November. The last 2 or 3 years have seen atrocious conditions, with loss of life.
I have lived here for 66 yrs, and can assure you, you need to think seriously about this crossing, and disregard the glib comments about it being a "nice" 4 day sail.
Old 06-09-2011, 17:58   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

4- 6 days. Cross rhum line out no need to go south. Good weather window of course. Setup a good watch and push hard towards the destination. Safety gear and a solid boat and some basic sailing skills and you will be there in short order.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:59   #9

Boat: Malö 116 39'

Smith21 if you take a lock to the left of the post. There is often a short text about the writer. That can be a little help to valuate the text. For example, if I write something about witch direction you should sail from US to Bermuda, it’s a risk that it’s wrong since I live in Sweden and probably not sailed so much in the area. The same thing with boat speed. A 45 feet boat sails much faster than a 30 feet.
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:17   #10

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Are you staying in Bermuda through the winter? Or sailing back to Norfolk in December?? Chilly beans!!

Listen to Blue Stocking, this is a serious undertaking at least 6 days at sea. I believe the Rhumb line from Norfolk is 657 miles.

There are several threads about preparing the vessel and crew for this voyage...
For crossing the gulf stream, you might consider obtaining routing information from one of the professionals... Jennifer Clark is widely considered the expert.

You'll want to have long range communications..and check in with Herb Hilgenberg ( southbound II ) for daily updates..

I'm sure you're aware that the currents in the stream are very stong and you can find yourself going sideways..if you don't pay careful attention to your navigation...
Finding the right eddies that help push you toward your destination rather than away..is key....and of course, the right weather window...
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

It took us 4-1/2 days in a boat with a 32' waterline. Roughest trip I've ever experienced in 9K offshore miles, and that was in June/July! November can bring some strong gales, and you're pretty much guaranteed to experience one on that passage, since they come along at 3-5 day intervals that time of year.

I'm with speciald--wait for your Gulf Stream crossing until there's no northerly component in the wind, and then head for Hatteras to cross the Stream. If you depart right after a cold front moves through, the winds will usually have become SE and light. As the next front approaches, the winds will build and clock through the S, SW, W and NW as the front overtakes you. You should be across the Stream by then, and the wind will generally be blowing pretty good from the NNE or NE, off your port quarter. We always left Hampton Roads around noon, and were across the Stream by sundown the next day.

You might be able to sail the rhumbline to Bermuda, but you really should look at an up-to-date chart of the currents out there before deciding. I've found that the Stream is usually more narrow off Hatteras than to the north, 60 nm or so wide, so you can minimize your exposure to 10-12 hours.

Once across, look for the clockwise-spinning cold eddy currents and play them. If you get on the wrong (bottom) side of one, you can see a 1-2 kt foul current, but if you cross the top of one, you'll get the equivalent boost. It's worth changing course to be on the "good" side of the eddies.

Be prepared for a good blow, anywhere from 35-40 kts up to 50 kts when that inevitable cold front passes by.

There are some sources of Gulf Stream and Sargasso Sea current data available. I don't have all the links any more, but found these just by Googling. Northern Gulf Institute
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GFSTRSP1fcst.gif
Views:	574
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	31365   Click image for larger version

Name:	useast_cmag_latest_00.png
Views:	497
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	31366  

Old 09-09-2011, 20:35   #12

Boat: 1973 Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith21 View Post
I have a 33' Morgan and am wondering if any one could give me some tips on sailing to Bermuda in it and about how many days it could take to get there from Norfolk, VA area.
Which marina are you in? My boat is at BayPoint and I have been considering a trip to Bermuda myself. Maybe we should talk.

Thanks Hud3 for the great info. I have heard about taking the ICW to Carolina and then head out. But, I think sailing out from Norfolk into the Atlantic is going to be my plan.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, sailing