Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 11:35   #1
DJD

Sailing Community: Wilmington vs Charleston

Hi all,

I'm looking to get away this weekend to a sailing destination and I was thinking either Wilmington, NC or Charleston, SC. Any thoughts on the sailing communities there would be much appreciated.

I tried out New Bern, Oriental, and Beaufort NC this past summer and enjoyed my time but could not see those towns as a viable place to possibly re-locate.

Also, I found a couple of airbnb sailboats for rent. I have never stayed overnight on a boat so I would love the chance to do so. Is $150 a night insane to pay to sleep on a docked sailboat?

I have found that I'm particularly fond of a certain model sailboat and there is one for sale about an hour from Charleston. At the very least I could drive down for a quick looksee from the dock. I would love to get inside but I wouldn't want to waste the brokers time.

I'm just trying to get a feel for things after a divorce and see if this is really something I would like to pursue so any advice is much appreciated.
DJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:40   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Sailing Community: Wilmington vs Charleston

Charleston is on a bay, Wilmington is way up a river with a 5kt current.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:16   #3
DJD

Thanks for the comparison. The airbnb boat at the city marina is $190 per night which is more than I want to spend. There's one on Seabrook Island for $150. I don't know any other way to overnight on a boat and see what it's like because I do not have the ability to charter or take a course right at the moment.

I did go for a day sail in New Bern but it's also up a river, although a very wide one. It was fun but I do think I prefer to be closer to the ocean.
Old 25-02-2019, 16:55   #4

The boat at Seabrook is likely at Bohicket Marina, which is essentially in the middle of nowhere. It's worth the extra $40 to be in downtown Charleston, trust me. During the day you could take a ride on the Schooner Pride, maybe. That's going to be your cheapest option for getting under sail in Charleston Harbor.
Old 26-02-2019, 08:47   #5

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Go visit Beaufort SC. Charming, lots of water/sailing, but it's all in what you like. We'll head to Florida, mostly because they tax less, but Beaufort is pretty cool.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:25   #6
CPO

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 35

Look at Southport, NC. Easy ocean access at the entrance to Cape Fear River.
CPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:29   #7

Boat: Lippincott 30

Beaufort, NC may also be an option...
SV Saranya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:48   #8

I will second Beaufort, SC and Southport, NC. Both are super quaint and laid-back Southern towns where the pace of life just seems slower and the scenery is hard to beat. Charleston feels like a big city by comparison.
Old 26-02-2019, 09:49   #9
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon, 420 owners version

Southport has sailing school boats at Southport Marina. Google.
dptconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 10:13   #10

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

If In charleston just look up at the local sailing clubs...... race nights always looking for crew / deck meat.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:35   #11

Charleston is a real nice town/city, with a good deal more to offer than any of the other places mentioned. That's not to say that either of the Beauforts aren't great spots: they are, but definitely don't have the social possibilities as does Charleston. If you're ready to get "back in the saddle" after your divorce, there are supposedly two single women to every single fellow there. I can't imagine paying $150 per night to stay on a small sailhoat (<50'). Stay in a hotel with a comfortable bathroom and head down to the marinas and chat people up: you may very well get an invite to day sail.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 13:15   #12

Boat: Valiant 40
Sailing Community: Wilmington vs Charleston

If you like all things sailing there are few towns better than Annapolis. I lived there for a few years before taking off full time and had a blast. Very fun city, all kinds of sailing going 24/7/365 (yeah the winter is frostbiting but it makes you stronger). Downside is cost of living and the winter thing.

I know a few folks from Charleston and they swear there is a big sailing scene but it’s never in evidence when I pass through.

I would not consider Wilmington. I suppose that technically you can sail on the Cape Fear River but the current can be pretty strong and there is significant commercial traffic. It’s not a place about which I’ve ever thought to myself “What a lovely place to sail.”
Old 26-02-2019, 22:03   #13
DJD

Thanks guys for all the responses!! I have booked one night on a boat at City Marina in Charleston and the other nights will be land based somewhere close by. As for re-locating, I need to be within driving easy driving distance to Charlotte, NC to be able to visit my disabled mom.

I have been to Southport once and my sister owns land there but never considered it as a possible place to relocate. But given the suggestions here I will look into it.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 24-10-2023, 09:14   #14

It's been a while, but how did it go? Curious about Charleston myself.
RankStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 11:43   #15

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
If you're ready to get "back in the saddle" after your divorce, there are supposedly two single women to every single fellow there.
. Where do you find such statistics?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing