Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 07:11   #1

Boat: Switch 51
Sailing and fishing advise from Beaufort N.C. to Cumberland island Georgia

Greetings, from this West Coast sailor. I am moving my new to me Cat from Beaufort to Georgia in late May and was looking for some tips and suggestions for our planned 8 day delivery trip. I have not sailed on the east coast at all and plan on staying inside the stream but would also love to get some yellowfin and Mahi Mahi while doing it so I wouldn't be against going into the Stream if I need to to get fish in the boat. Weather and winds of course would need to be favorable. Our main goal is to have a safe fun trip as this will be our maiden voyage in unfamiliar seas, and am doing my homework. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:22   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Sailing and fishing advise from Beaufort N.C. to Cumberland island Georgia

The key to catching fish, is holding your mouth right and thinking like a fish. I would trail a couple of jigs behind the boat and aim for any flotsam that you might see, another good indicator is feeding seabirds. One occasion, I ran beside a line of sea weed not far offshore and you could see dozens of Mahi Mahi swimming right along the edge of the line, darting out to eat some small unsuspecting fish.
Old 04-03-2015, 16:45   #3

If you have time, I suggest a day trip out of Beaufort so you can do a shakedown run before heading south. The fishing just off the coast is usually pretty good as well. Once you've spent a day on the water, return to Beaufort and drop hook just off the town dock for a farewell dinner at one of the local restaurants along the water front. Then, if you need to make any repairs or adjustments, you can do so before heading south down the ICW.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 18:32   #4

Boat: Seawind - 1160

I have had good luck finding Mahi along the edge of the Gulf Stream. Look for artificial reefs along the coast they attract a lot of fish.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 23:49   #5

Boat: Switch 51

[QUOTE=Double-Wide;1766580]I have had good luck finding Mahi along the edge of the Gulf Stream. Look for artificial reefs along the coast they attract a lot of fish.

Thanks Double-Wide, I will study the charts for the Artificial reefs. I don't know much about them on the East coast and for what species they were built to attract.
truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:24   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Dolphin (Mahi Mahi or Dorado) can be found in as little as 100 feet of water, but deeper water of 400 feet or more is usually better.
They like warm temperate water, so the Gulf Stream is a good place to start. They don’t move to far from their food source, so keep your eyes open for floating weeds, other floating objects, temperature rips and sub surface structure which may attract and provide shelter to flying fish and other sources of food.
Keep a look out for sea birds such as the Frigate, Man-0-War, that feed on the small baitfish that are driven to the surface by feeding dolphin and other gamefish.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaufort, fish, fishing, georgia, sail, sailing