Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 15:24   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
SailCarib in Puerto Rico

Greetings from a new member,
Does anyone have any experience with SailCarb's operation as either a charterer or owner? We're considering taking the plunge by placing a cat in their fleet. Thanks in advance....
Old 13-02-2018, 06:32   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: SailCarib in Puerto Rico

I know Jim and work in the industry. I am part of the management team at a competing company in St Thomas. They have a good reputation in the industry. It is a limited cruising area being the SVI's. Despite their willingness to let boats come to the USVI's and BVI's it is a long trip to windward. So most of their charters are around Culebra and Vieques.

If you interested in other options for placement let me know.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 11:42   #3

I've chartered through SailCaribe twice, making it to the BVIs and back both times. Seem like good people who have a long-term outlook on business and take care in how they treat their owners and their charter customers. They were helpful to us during our charters and from what I could tell took good care of the boats.

The sailing is a bit rougher in the SVIs than in the BVIs with more direct exposure to the wind and swell, so I imagine there might be a bit more wear and tear on a boat based out of Fajardo. However, I also think that most people who charter in the SVIs will have more experience than the average BVI charterer so not as many rookie mistakes being made. Once you leave Fajardo logistics become a bit more difficult in terms of fuel, water and provisioning. Not really an issue for an owner, but something to think about from an ease of chartering perspective.

One of the biggest draws to SailCaribe for me is the ease of getting there. Flights to San Juan are usually a few hundred dollars less than flights to St. Thomas and we save even more by not having to fly or ferry to the BVIs. Time-wise, we can usually shave an hour or two from travel time by flying into SJU. I also like what Puerto Rico has to offer for time spent ashore pre and post-charter. When we were down last June they had plans for a USVI base in St. Thomas, but I don't know where that stands right now after the hurricanes.

If I was looking to place a boat in charter in the Virgin Islands that I planned on using multiple times per year, SailCaribe would be on my shortlist as well as CYOA. Haven't chartered through CYOA yet, but I've heard good things about them.

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:45   #4

Boat: IP 370

I would also consider Island Yacht Charters in STT. They are located in Red Hook so you can get to the BVI's in a heartbeat. Fantastic Island Packet boats and the best charter company in the islands. Great service and great people. You can't go wrong.
Journeys End is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico, rib, sail