Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2010, 14:06   #1

Boat: Pearson, P33, 33', Stampede
Send a message via Skype™ to cfoxcvg
Sail from Hillsboro Inlet to Bimini - July 2010 - 33' Pearson with 4.5' Draft

We are sailing to Bimini from Hillsboro Inlet, FL for an extended weekend in July and would appreciate any pertinent info anybody can offer. Most likely 4th July Weekend. We will be in a 33' Pearson and draw 4.5' of water. I know this isn't the best time of the year to sail over but I have to take what I can get.
I am an experienced boater and a fair sailer but its been 15+ years since I've been to Bimini and this is the first time by sail. I somewhat remember the approach using the markers on shore (align then up, then turn North close to shore, keep close to the shore of North Bimini into the harbor CORRECT?) and also remember that there is a fairly strong current in the harbor at times (I forget what marina but I used to back down a channel to a dock bow into the current in a 45' trawler).
***When approaching the docks is there enough space in deep water to turn a sailboat in the current?
***Can anyone recommend a marina for supplies and overnight stays?
***Does customs have there own dock or do they come to your dock?
***Any other info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
cfoxcvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 15:06   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Don't know why you think early July is not the best time of year, the weather is great in Bimini and other than the possibility of thunderstorms, you should be fine.

Regarding current channel info, Intentional Drifter gave some excellent information in this post

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tes-23432.html

There IS certainly enough room in the channel to turn a sailboat of 33' with a 4.5' draft. Just remember the significant danger in the case of a strong onshore wind...

The marinas are all decent (at least the ones I've been to), it's a question of price and (relative) privacy. I prefer the ones closest to the channel, just for time savings. These days (ie, in the downturn), I don't even bother with a reservation, although I suspect that sooner or later I will regret it. Regarding customs, etc, Noonsite is probably your best bet for current information, but in any case, the dockmaster WILL come to your boat, and will give you the procedures.

Have fun. Hoping to get across next week myself...pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 17:59   #3

Boat: Pearson, P33, 33', Stampede
Send a message via Skype™ to cfoxcvg
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Thanks for the Info Pete, found a lot of useful info.
In the Quoted Post they mention sailing to south to MIA or even further before turning East. I know the gulf stream is formidable and will make for a slow go but is is really worth sailing the extra 40-50 miles south to MIA before heading out? Maybe FLL then East?

Also does anyone have a good resource for tracking the gulfstream?
I find random bits of info all over the place but no reliable or up to date tracking info. At the moment I wait till I am on the water and hail some fishing boats who are very accurate but that doesn't help with planning before I leave. I am looking for distance off shore from Florida and speed.
cfoxcvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 08:33   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Being further south increases the likelihood of a favorable window for crossing, but there is no hard, fast rule that being further south is better. I guess my own case is a good example: the boat is in Dinner Key, but I almost always sail 25 miles south and leave from Angelfish Creek, because it's almost always a better crossing angle for Bimini. If you have the time and freedom to wait until the wind is clocking to the west, you can leave from almost anywhere. If you want to leave on a certain (within reason) date, further south is generally better. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 11:56   #5

Boat: 34' custom steel cutter
I sailed to North Bimini in April of 2009 and there were no entry buoys whatsoever. I don't have my charts with me, but I recalled that we sailed directly towards the big marina on the south island to about 200 meters offshore and then turned port to enter the protected harbor area of North Bimini. It was pretty much one right angle turn and no zig zagging. It was falling tide, but I think the water depth was about 8 to 10 feet in depth.

Several marinas to choose from and there is a small anchorage just past the row of them. Customs is a short walk from any of the marinas and they had no inclination to come to our boat. They did, however, gave me hard time for presenting a photocopy of my USCG documentation. They wanted the original paperwork!

We were harbor bound for two days because of 35 knot southerlies that were pushing 8 foot waves into the harbor entrance. Good luck!
Les Bechdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 14:12   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
More on the Biminis
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 14:17   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Check out Seaworthy.com and Explorercharts.com for up to date info on all the Bahamas.

Tags
Bimini Islands, draft, pearson