Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2011, 02:57   #1

Boat: Leopard catamaran, 43'
Safety in Venezuela

I am planning to spend some time of the coast of Venezuela at Los Roques, Los Testigos and isle Margarita this winter. Has anyone heard of or had any bad experiences in this area? There were some instances back in 2008 but I haven't heard of anything recent.
Bill
Bill6878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 04:32   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Safety in Venezuela

Last year we found Los Roches safe but omitted Margarita because of the security incidents. We meet many cruisers who have pulled out of Venezuela.

Noonsite: Venezuela: 2010 Safety and Security Incidents but there are no reports for 2011 but there are also fewer boats

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 04:59   #3

Boat: Boatless

Correction, one report for 2011...

Noonsite: Venezuela: 2011 Safety and Security Incidents

Security

This year we went straight to Bonaire...safe, great diving and the mooring balls are only $10/day

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 05:30   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

We have been having some discussions about it in Grenada.

There would be very few going to Margarita and fewer, far fewer going to Los Testigos.

It will be interesting to see the stats are the season progresses.

I'm sure not heading there.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 06:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safety in Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We have been having some discussions about it in Grenada.

There would be very few going to Margarita and fewer, far fewer going to Los Testigos.

It will be interesting to see the stats are the season progresses.

I'm sure not heading there.

Mark
Bet ya would if you had your VW Camper.......
For the 'Cousins'.... this is 'Aussies in Europe' for the annual 'Do the Old Country' pilgrimage we suffer every year.... Bludi Good Fun....
YouTube - ‪Europe Van Tour‬‏

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:00   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
'Aussies in Europe' for the annual 'Do the Old Country' pilgrimage we suffer every year.... Bludi Good Fun....
YouTube - ‪Europe Van Tour‬‏
Quote:
Every year at the beginning of Summer, hundreds of Aussies and Kiwis get in their beat up painted Vans and Buses and travel around Europe on a tour of excess, belligerence and debauchery.
Thats what we call culture

Old 21-06-2011, 08:15   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Go to: Welcome to the Caribbean Safety and Security Net
for a database of all the confirmed attacks and incidents in the Caribbean including Venezuela.
- - Based on my decade in the eastern Caribbean I personally know of about twice as many attacks that are never "officially" reported or make it into the databases.
- - But with most things it is more a matter of your Karma and luck as to whether you are another statistic or end up wondering what all the fuss is about as you didn't have any problems.
- - Currently one of the best reported safe places to have and do work on your boat in Venezuela is: medregal village marina drydock boatyard chantier posada hotel auberge venezuela
Getting there may be a challenge, but once there my friends have raved about the place.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 15:44   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill6878 View Post
I am planning to spend some time of the coast of Venezuela at Los Roques, Los Testigos and isle Margarita this winter. Has anyone heard of or had any bad experiences in this area? There were some instances back in 2008 but I haven't heard of anything recent.
Bill

Bill, go to Travel.state.gov.com. It is a website run by the CIA that will give you excellent information on any country you want to visit without the rose colored impressions of some naive, although well-intentioned, cruisers. Best, Ron
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 17:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Bill, go to Travel.state.gov.com. It is a website run by the CIA that will give you excellent information on any country you want to visit without the rose colored impressions of some naive, although well-intentioned, cruisers. Best, Ron
Great link to nowhere! - None of the listed warnings include the Caribbean Basic countries. So the link is worthless to the OP. Besides which the State Dept warnings are for land based travel.
- - The links given by earlier posts are specific to cruisers and by cruisers who have "been there, done it, and got the Tee-shirts."
Old 22-06-2011, 18:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Great link to nowhere! - None of the listed warnings include the Caribbean Basic countries. So the link is worthless to the OP. Besides which the State Dept warnings are for land based travel.
- - The links given by earlier posts are specific to cruisers and by cruisers who have "been there, done it, and got the Tee-shirts."

Firstly,if one is going to the islands off the coast of Venezuela, one can read about the safety and security, crime, penalties and medical facilities available in the Travel.Gov site. I believe these concerns are very relevant and give the cruiser a concise view of what conditions exist in and around that country ie.) the aforementioned islands. I cannot imagine how anyone would not consider the information presented relevant and helpful. Secondly, my intent in providing this information was not to start a contest as to which sites are the most helpful to the cruiser, but rather to give an additional source for one considering traveling in that specific area. I will, however, be more aware in my future travels to recognize the "true" cruisers who will be wearing the appropriate t-shirts and hats as a badge of accomplishment and advertisement for others to see and will certainly give them the due respect people of that elevated stature deserve. I wonder if my cousin still has his Hopalong Cassidy hat in the closet? I just may give him a call. Good luck and good sailing, Ron
Old 22-06-2011, 18:15   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We sailed last Nov and Dec from Grenada through Blanquilla, Los Roques and the Aves. This is a pleasant downwind trip and is far enough offshore to make it very difficult and unprofitable for pirates. The local fishermen we met in Blanquilla and the Aves were overwhelmingly friendly and positive. There is a coast guard station in the Aves that is manned with friendly officials. We had a very good trip through these islands and never once had concerns for our safety. We specifically skipped Los Testigos due to a pirate attack there a couple of days before we left. We never even considered Margarita. We also stayed away from the North end of the Roques, where the population and officials are since we were not checking into Venezuela and did not want any official hassles. The South and West parts of the Roques are beautiful and hassle free - you can stay there for a long time. The coast guard in the Aves had no problems with us not checking into the country and were very friendly. If you go there, bring a bit of extra rice, cooking oil and butter for them. They are put out there for long periods with very little provisions and some basic supplies will make you loyal friends.

Those islands were some of the best cruising we have done - way isolated and beautiful.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 18:18   #12

The point is that your link "Travel.state.gov.com" takes you to a index page and then clicking on Travel Warnings takes you to a list of countries, none of which are Caribbean Basin countries. Selecting a specific country - e.g., Venezuela take you to a page of warnings all about the cities and inland regions and nothing about the outlying islands which cruisers would be visiting or passing.
- - As far as the "smart remark" about "rose colored impressions of some naive, although well-intentioned, cruisers" you are way off base and insulting. Cruisers have actually been there will share their "real" experiences with you if you ask. That is the best source of current information upon which to make up your own mind how much "risk" you are comfortable with going there.
Old 22-06-2011, 18:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
The point is that your link "Travel.state.gov.com" takes you to a index page and then clicking on Travel Warnings takes you to a list of countries, none of which are Caribbean Basin countries. Selecting a specific country - e.g., Venezuela take you to a page of warnings all about the cities and inland regions and nothing about the outlying islands which cruisers would be visiting or passing.
- - As far as the "smart remark" about "rose colored impressions of some naive, although well-intentioned, cruisers" you are way off base and insulting. Cruisers have actually been there will share their "real" experiences with you if you ask. That is the best source of current information upon which to make up your own mind how much "risk" you are comfortable with going there.
With all due respect, no "smart remark" was intended unless you mean that literally, not figuratively. We have met countless cruisers in our travels throughout the Caribbean and Mexico who were wonderful people but hopelessly naive as to any imminent dangers that existed in the areas they cruised. This was usually because they did not do sufficient research but relied on word of mouth and articles read in cruising magazines. Certainly, being there and sharing "real" experiences is certainly valuable based upon who your talking to and the validity of their experience. If you talked to a cruiser who anchored in a bay and had a pleasant experience but the boat who followed was robbed, would you rely on that pleasant experience for your judgment call to visit the bay? And, why would it be unreasonable to know what the conditions are in Venezuela if there is a potential that if you came to harm in its coastal waters you would have to deal with these very people and the laws and conditions of their country? Sometimes people argue because they have a need to be right. Others because the truth of a statement seems so obvious. You can judge where your response falls. Good luck and good sailing, Ron
Old 23-06-2011, 05:04   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Can we pop the subject back to Venezuela please?

I don't give a rats bum about the USA in this thread. I am heading to Venezuela and I want to hear proper considered opinions from other cruisers who have been there please.... and not some palm off onto some website.

Thanks

Mark

Old 24-06-2011, 02:32   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
You have to love the subtlety of the Aussie male , I loved the culturally sensitive you tube video. ( well sensitive for Aussies)

Sorry thread drift
Fire away there markj

PS I really love the subtlety of the Aussie girls, that's my kind. !!!
Dave

Tags
safety, Venezuela