Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 20:16   #1

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Route to Cuba

Hi there everyone!

I wish to know what could be the best route to sail to the NE coast of Cuba from Exuma.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1438053377.127969.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	106212

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:33   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Route to Cuba

OK, I hate seeing your thread left unanswered, but I'm not going to answer it for the same reason (I would guess) that no one else did; lack of sufficient information. It's like asking "how far is it between two mountains?" It depends on which mountains. It depends on what your circumstances are. Do you want the fastest route, the safest route, or the most scenic route? Do you want to stop or go straight through? What time of year (very important...)? Where on the NE coast of Cuba (technically, the NE-facing coast of Cuba is more than 400 nm long)? Where in the Exumas (again, around 150 nm long)?

Roughly speaking, you have about 3 "standard" choices: 1. through the NW Providence passage, then skirting the west coast of the Bahamas; 2. across the Banks via the NW Channel to Cat Cay and then south; 3. SE around Long Island and out into the Old Bahama Channel. If you're feeling lucky you can cut further SW across the banks instead of going out through Cat Cay, or you can go down the Tongue of the Ocean and cut across the OBC, but just remember that not every rock, head, and sandbar is charted in the Bahamas...

If you leave a little more information, it will probably get you a lot more responses.

Best wishes, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:31   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Interesting.
My automatic thought would be to go south from the Exumas to the Jumentos, then to Cuba. Both current and wind would be much more favorable that way.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:47   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Interesting.
My automatic thought would be to go south from the Exumas to the Jumentos, then to Cuba. Both current and wind would be much more favorable that way.

+1 Yes, most boats stage at south side bay on Ragged island. From there it's a short 60 mile hop to Cuba. To get there from Exuma go through Hog cay cut if draft is 5' or less. If 5' + draft take Comer channel.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:58   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

My automatic thought was Head South. You cant miss it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

We are at Caicos, and headed that same place later this week, will look for you... The above post on Hog Cay cut to North end of Raggeds is correct, did that a few weeks ago, and draw 5' no issue at high tide, but wait for the tide, as the sandbar that starts just S of the cut is shallow for about a mile. Then just follow the Raggeds S or cut across Diana Bank to Castle Rock, and head down from there.
We are American, was wondering if you have heard any info from anyone leaving Cuba, as to USCG issues, and how they handled (if they were able to handle).
Old 02-08-2015, 07:36   #7

I would go south too, but with not much info from the OP it is hard to say what his/her best option is.
Old 02-08-2015, 19:02   #8

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

Hi there everyone

sorry for absence and not giving enough information.

I am in Marsh Harbour now. Intend to sail out to Exumas once my windlass gets back in shape (always some problem :-)).

My initial plan was to go to the southernmost island in the ragged islands and then head straight south through the banks to Peuro de Vita.

Now my worries are that the banks south of ragged islands are full of rocks as per my navionic charts but the paper charts show lesser.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:17   #9

Yes there are rocks there and as I mentioned, not everything is charted. Stay in the deepwater channels and avoid the banks, unless you are feeling lucky... Pete
Old 03-08-2015, 06:29   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

story -

You need the Explorer charts. There have been inaccuracies reported in the Bahamas with Navionics. The Explorer charts are the best for the Bahamas.

You're worried about the banks south of the Jumentos - do you mean west of the Jumentos?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:37   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post

Now my worries are that the banks south of ragged islands are full of rocks as per my navionic charts but the paper charts show lesser.
Coulumbus Banks? Heaps of room. Just follow a route that stays in 30+ feet of water.
Its only 20 miles before you are in mile deep water so you can do it all in daylight to waych for shollow bits.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, route