Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 08:38   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Rio Dulce for hurricane season?

Re Internet access. TIGO has good coverage for voice & data all over the area (and most of Guatemala), but performance varies on the Rio depending upon exact location. For example, my place is on high land near the village of Cayo Quemado and I get decent service there, but just a short distance away in the bays near Burnt Key Marina (AKA Texan Bay) it stinks. Gap in the antenna coverage there. Tall antenna and booster helps. Best performance is in the Fronteras area (population center). But, this is still cell based service so not blistering fast in the best case, but adequate for typical cruiser use.

Re travel. This is one negative to the Rio. Unless you have access to a private or chartered plane and permission to use the private air strip on the Rio, travel to the Rio is inconvenient. Most get to/from the Rio via Guatemala City because the City has the most options for international flights, but its about a 5 hour bus ride to the Rio (versus a 45' flight in a private plane!). Alternative 1, you can fly into San Pedro Sula, Honduras which is a bit closer, but has more limited flight options. Alternative 2, Belize City then land and water travel to the Rio, but airfare tends to be higher. Alternative 3, Flores Guatemala and then bus to Fronteras, but very limited flight schedules.

Good news is that most folks only make this trek once or twice a year so in the big scheme of things its not so bad. Break it up by visiting some of the sights along the way over a few days. We usually spend a few days in Guatemala City as a treat and/or to run errands before continuing onward.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:39   #32

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but it is kinda more info on the subject.

What is the travel time and difficulty wind-wise in sailing down to Roatan from Rio Dulce?

Thanks,

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:46   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post

What is the travel time and difficulty wind-wise in sailing down to Roatan from Rio Dulce?

Thanks,

~ Following Cs ~
Relevant I think...another option for getting to the Rio. Its an easy run, but there is a dramatic land effect from the mountainous coast of Honduras. So the winds typically go light long before reaching Cabo Tres Puntas (just across the Honduran boarder). The further N you run the more wind you will have. On the latitude N of Roatan the trades howl...the further S & W you get of Roatan the lighter they become and the more they back (shift W in this case).

This behavior can be useful going the other way (Rio to Bay Islands) because you can run close to the coast to avoid bashing into the trades (careful about security issues along the Honduran mainland coast though)

GRIB image below shows this effect...aargh...next message.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:15   #34

cont...

GRIB image below shows this effect.

The area defined by the points of Puerto Cortez, Honduras; Ranguana Caye, Belize; and Cabo Tres Puntas, Guatemala normally has light winds in prevailing conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426177009155.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	98766  
Old 12-03-2015, 09:32   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post

Thanks,

~ Following Cs ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Relevant I think...another option for getting to the Rio. Its an easy run, but there is a dramatic land effect from the mountainous coast of Honduras. So the winds typically go light long before reaching Cabo Tres Puntas (just across the Honduran boarder). The further N you run the more wind you will have. On the latitude N of Roatan the trades howl...the further S & W you get of Roatan the lighter they become and the more they back (shift W in this case).

This behavior can be useful going the other way (Rio to Bay Islands) because you can run close to the coast to avoid bashing into the trades (careful about security issues along the Honduran mainland coast though)

GRIB image below shows this effect...aargh...next message.

Misread your post in the context of getting TO the Rio. My response was TO the Rio from Roatan first and then the other way round.
Old 13-03-2015, 14:06   #36
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

How practical and safe is it to rent or buy a car in rio dulce and travel around Central America and up through Mexico to the USA? I had a friend travelling there a couple of months ago and the bus was stopped due to some local protests up ahead. After some gunfire the bus got moving and they saw some dead locals in the gutter. Sounds a bit scary but is it ok for traveling solo by car or van?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 16:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
How practical and safe is it to rent or buy a car in rio dulce and travel around Central America and up through Mexico to the USA? I had a friend travelling there a couple of months ago and the bus was stopped due to some local protests up ahead. After some gunfire the bus got moving and they saw some dead locals in the gutter. Sounds a bit scary but is it ok for traveling solo by car or van?
I've driven all over Guatemala & Central America and never had anything but great experiences, but bad stuff happens sometimes. Guatemala does still have a bit of a Wild West character to it.

Can't rent a car and drive it back to the States. You could buy one and drive it back. Not sure what the import issues would be when you got to the USA. My experience is that while these kinds of roads trips can be great fun, flying is radically cheaper.

You can drive a rented or purchased car within the CA4 countries (Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua) with no importation issues.
Old 26-04-2015, 22:15   #38

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

Hi folks, looking for advice on a trip concept...I am thinking of trailering my Farrier F9ax (think corsair 31) down to Chetumal from Los Angeles, put in and sail Belize and Rio Dulce for about a month in August. Looks like I could shuttle back up to Chetumal and drive down to Rio Dulce to pick up the boat. First question is do you think I would have border issues doing this?

Second is, I will have a 6 yo child in tow...has there been any recent safety issues in the Rio Dulce area?

Appreciate all input-
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 05:06   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post
Hi folks, looking for advice on a trip concept...I am thinking of trailering my Farrier F9ax (think corsair 31) down to Chetumal from Los Angeles, put in and sail Belize and Rio Dulce for about a month in August. Looks like I could shuttle back up to Chetumal and drive down to Rio Dulce to pick up the boat. First question is do you think I would have border issues doing this?

Second is, I will have a 6 yo child in tow...has there been any recent safety issues in the Rio Dulce area?

Appreciate all input-
I expect borders will be a hassle, but I have a friend who trailered his boat to the Rio. Post on the forum at www.riodulcechisme.com and lookup user "elpolvo" there.

August is of course getting well into hurricane season, so keep a close watch on the weather. The weather in Belize is normally nice during the day, but often squally at night during hurricane season. Strong squalls in the wee hours are common then.

No hurricane worries on the Rio, but August is in rainy season so biblical amounts of rain can fall (usually at night) and big lightening.

Ive been away from the Rio since January, but haven't heard of any significant security issues recently. They tend to be cyclical. Again, check the Rio Dulce Chisme site for the latest. IIRC, there is a forum section on security events.

Tags
hurricane