Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2013, 13:35   #46

Boat: IP 370
Re: Recommended Anchorages Around Vieques and Culebra ?

Culibrita is a must
In Culebra- Ensenada Honda, Dakity anchorage,
Restaurants, Mamacita's, Dinky Dock Bar, Susie's, and another near the library, forget the name, but excellent

In Vieques - Esperanza anchorage, El Quinipo restaurant
sailrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 15:33   #47

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Use some caution when choosing a mooring in Dakity. Last year there were a few moorings in 5' of water. We slept great, woke up and the wife released the mooring. I waited and waited for the boat to drift back and it never did. I then noticed that the boat wasn't moving up, down or side to side at all. The tide had gone out leaving us on the bottom without even a bump to wake us up. Partial throttle in reverse with us both standing on the rail easily floated us off. About that time the guy next to us said that the reason the mooring we were on was empty was because it was so shallow. Gee thanks!! It was my own fault for not checking my depth finder. I saw a mooring near other sailboats and wrongly assumed there was enough water for a sailboat.

Most moorings looked to be in decent condition. It was troubling that so many had been pulled out of Culebrita. I wander what became of the presumably attached vessels. There are moorings just about every place one would want to anchor. Watch your depth finder and enjoy!!!
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 19:40   #48
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Skeeko

I have to agree that mooring and anchoring presents problems in a place where wind shifts are expected. If not then there are ways to do it. I'd leave the anchor off the side (abeam the wind?) of the mooring with a slack line. If the mooring were to fail the anchor would hold after the boat had drifted off a ways.

We did encounter a slight problem mooring off Culebrita. We also assumed adequate depth in the mooring field. And the depth sounder and dive check confirmed this. In the morning during a pre-dawn departure (heading against wind and current to USVI) we lightly touched while motoring from the mooring away from shore. We didn't imagine that there would be less water away from the mooring. I went over the side (good thing I brought my dive light) and found us lightly grounded on a hump of dead pronghorn coral. A little extra throttle easily got us off the mound and we were no worse for the wear. I should mention that our boat drew 7'.
Skeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 09:43   #49

Boat: PSC 34
If you go to Culebra you must eat at Zacos Tacos, have a mojito. The Dingydock is open again, try it. If you are killing time at Fajardo you can ride the ferry to Culebra and have a local ride you around the Island and Culabrita for about $40 and get all the local knowledge . The ferry is like $6 round trip. There are usually at least 15 or 20 boats anchored in Ensenada Honda, just inside of Isla Pirata. Culabrita is only crowded on weekends and Holidays with the folks from the big island. Enjoy
Old 14-11-2013, 18:25   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV

Add my vote for Culebrita and the lighthouse hike. I've done it at least ten times and never tire of it.

There's a great snorkel spot on the west side of Culebra -with mooring balls. Can't remember the name but head Nw from Dewey and it's the last anchorage before you run out of island. DON'T Anchor there as you'll kill the coral. Take a mooring and then snorkel up the shoreline.

For restaurants - Suzys on Culebra is awesome. Mamacita's is also good, but my #2 choice.

People also mentioned Bahia Almodovar. It's great too.

Imo, Culebra is way nicer than Vieques. And Vieques is less interesting now that you can't swim at Bio Bay anymore (which used to be so cool ).

Cheers
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:46   #51

Has anyone recently sailed to Vieques. Am sailing there from the BVI's in late March. It will be our third time sailing there. Have only anchored in Ensenada Honda and am wondering if there are better anchorages on the south side of island. also are there any decent anchorages on the north side of the island?
westoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:41   #52

Boat: 1985 Tartan 34

We ended up renting a private mooring at Esperanza. There isn't much publically available.

We didn't acnhor there but some people we talked to said it was tough to get good anchor holding off of Esperanza.

Unaware of any acnhorages off the North shore. Spent a couple of days at the W though and the waves were crashing hard up there.
Old 11-01-2016, 13:11   #53

How did you procure the private mooring ball and how much did you pay. Did you arrange prior to arriving?
westoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:55   #54

Boat: 1985 Tartan 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoking View Post
How did you procure the private mooring ball and how much did you pay. Did you arrange prior to arriving?
We had chartered through Sail Caribe. The management had a contact.

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Culebra, esperanza, spanish virgin islands, vieques