Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: I think this is:
The best way to spend a summer! 3 13.04%
Something I wish I had done when I was 30 3 13.04%
Doable if not risky and burdensome 6 26.09%
Nuts. Out of Touch With Reality. Insulting. 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 10:32   #1

Reality Check: FL -> PR -> VI -> Beyond...

Greetings all,

Wonderful community you have here. I've been trawling the boards for a day or two, have found some great information and am now ready to seek advice and opinion. Apologies in advance if this becomes a lengthy post.

Summer in New Orleans is brutal and business is slow and because of that I try to get away for a while during the doldrums. I need to be in Puerto Rico on July 1st for a wedding and this got me thinking that I should use PR as a jump off point for my summer adventures. Having lived in STT back in '05 - 06 the idea of a summer sail popped into my head. Not wanting to revisit too much of the past I got to thinking of sailing as far south as time, finances, and wherewithal allowed. I should add here that I: 1)don't own a boat 2)don't know how to sail anything larger than a Hobie Cat 3)have 2.5 months to throw this together.

After much internal excitement, I made some phone calls to friends who I thought would be interested. I ended up with 2-3 people (and one water-rat of a Dalmatian) ready to sign on (one of whom is/was a captain in St Thomas and thus a crucial figure in the success of the trip) and a basic idea of a "perfect scenario". From this mental drawing board I'm trying to get back in touch with reality and see just what is possible. I've been known to concoct crazy adventures like this and also known to carry a few out, so, a few hurtles won't scare me away. I have a feeling a few of you will get a good chuckle out of the following, and if so, I'm glad for it. Let's have fun with it.

The Plan: Purchase a seaworthy vessel in southern Florida for $2,000-$3,000 that needs little to no work. Crew/friends meet at boat and we set off for Puerto Rico, needing to arrive in San Juan by June 29th. After the wedding, head to STT and wind our way through the Drake Channel stopping to say hi to friends before continuing east/southeast. Ideally we'd be able to make it to Saint Lucia. Wherever we end up, make arrangements for the sale of the boat before flying back home. Simple, right?

For our price range we won't be able to afford much, if anything seaworthy over 30'. From my early searches I've found a few nice Pearson's that I like in the $2500-4,000 range in Florida. We'll sacrifice comfort for an affordable boat but don't want to sacrifice safety for an affordable boat. No one is sure just how long they'll be able to stay away from home. I personally am ready to take 1 - 2 months to see this through but all are committed to a majority rule for ending the trip early if need be. I've read that sailing from FL to PR isn't so much a piece of cake, especially during early summer. Folks have been suggesting the "thornless" route through the Bahamas as the best choice.

My brain is cranking through tons of options and possibilities but I'll leave it there and let the conversation take its own course. Thanks for your input!

-K
Globalksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 10:46   #2

Re: Reality Check: FL -> PR -> VI -> Beyond...

this has got to be a troll.......

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 10:52   #3

A troll?

No, I'm quite real and quite serious, no matter how naive. By all means, share your thoughts on the impossibility of my idea.
Old 15-04-2012, 14:11   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
The Plan: Purchase a seaworthy vessel in southern Florida for $2,000-$3,000 that needs little to no work.
Your plan falls apart right here.
Old 15-04-2012, 14:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Your plan falls apart right here.
That was a major point of contention among people with whom I've already spoken.

1988 Macgregor26 Sail Boat

Considering the trip gets whittled down to two people, what about a boat, like the one linked to above, would be unfit for the journey?
Old 15-04-2012, 14:35   #6

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
Greetings all,
The Plan: Purchase a seaworthy vessel in southern Florida for $2,000-$3,000 that needs little to no work.
-K
That is a contradiction in terms. Perhaps doable with triple the $. Don't risk your life or the life of your crew on a $3000 boat that doesn't need any work. Because, they all need work. The price one pays for am S/V is inversely proportional to the amount of material and labor needed to get her seaworthy. Been there, done that.
Old 15-04-2012, 14:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
That was a major point of contention among people with whom I've already spoken.

1988 Macgregor26 Sail Boat

Considering the trip gets whittled down to two people, what about a boat, like the one linked to above, would be unfit for the journey?
Ok, to your other question. The price for that boat is fair to high. A mac of that vintage will undoubtedly have some rotten core, Macgregor used construction grade plywood. The retractable keel should be looked at very closely. The Mac would be okay for inter-coastal, because she is lightly rigged and you would need to seek shelter in weather goes bad. Not a blue water boat at all. IMO she'll be fine for the keys, if her rig, hull, and keel are sound. Personally, I wouldnt take her more then 6 miles of shore.
Old 15-04-2012, 15:18   #8

look for some thing like these. (I am not affiliated with any listing)
26' Chris Craft Pawnee "Sloop"
23ft Paceship Sailboat, Sell/Trade
'74 Cal 27' Sailboat
Cal 2-27 Sailboat !!

Again, any of these boats with a good rig, hull, and engine will do you nicely. But not to PR and Beyond...
Old 15-04-2012, 16:36   #9

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

$ seems out of place to me. EX. I bought a nice 27ft cruiser last year for around $7000. She was being used as a liveaboard, a single gent who would cruise from NY to the great lakes ending in Detroit where his family was from. I had a survey done and she scored very well. I inquired about using it the same way but with my family on week to 2week trips. Well from that question we have been updating her for a year now. New electronics, new wiring, engine over all, new canvas, new lights, ALL New Safety equipment, and new paint top and bottom (not needed but why not?) This cost around another 5,000. She is now about ready to go, windlass is not in as of yet. I would really rethink my $$$ if it were me never skimp on the safety side . If the $$$ is out did you look into a charter. It might be a better and much funner trip, share duties and enjoy
Liltttzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 22:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosimp3 View Post
Again, any of these boats with a good rig, hull, and engine will do you nicely. But not to PR and Beyond...
Thank you for this and the previous post's information regarding construction quality and it's effects. I'm trying to educate myself as efficiently as possible and sharing of knowledge like this certainly helps.
Old 15-04-2012, 22:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltttzr View Post
$ seems out of place to me. EX. I bought a nice 27ft cruiser last year for around $7000. She was being used as a liveaboard, a single gent who would cruise from NY to the great lakes ending in Detroit where his family was from. I had a survey done and she scored very well. I inquired about using it the same way but with my family on week to 2week trips. Well from that question we have been updating her for a year now. New electronics, new wiring, engine over all, new canvas, new lights, ALL New Safety equipment, and new paint top and bottom (not needed but why not?) This cost around another 5,000. She is now about ready to go, windlass is not in as of yet. I would really rethink my $$$ if it were me never skimp on the safety side . If the $$$ is out did you look into a charter. It might be a better and much funner trip, share duties and enjoy
Chartering was the first thought. Or, rather, contacting friends in the VI who I know have boats and asking/begging/convincing them to take the trip was the actual first thought. It may end up back at that. However, like I mentioned before, I'd like to give this idea it's fair shot before scrapping it and moving on.

My intent is not to keep the boat. It is to sell it immediately after the trip to recoup some of the money it cost to purchase it. Hence, safety is of concern but cosmetics and creature comforts are not. If, it turns out that the estimated costs of purchasing, sailing, reselling are equal to or more than that of a charter who would take us for the same float plan, that charter would be considered. On that note, if anyone would care to share links or info on where to find reputable, independent boats/captains for charter in the PR / USVI region it would be appreciated.

Call it what you may, but I hope to find some sense of satisfaction, growth, and experiential education from all of this if it could in fact be done sans-charter.

That all being said, I'm happy to hear of your experiences with your purchase and (hopefully) the good times you've had aboard it.
Old 15-04-2012, 22:47   #12

This guy can't possibly be serious.
yachtcaptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 22:51   #13

My boss said the same thing to me when I quit the engineering company to be a photographer at the turn of the most recent recession.

What about this makes you think I'm not serious? Your doubts are probably well founded and could aid in the decision making process. Let's hear 'em, Yachtcaptn.
Old 16-04-2012, 05:16   #14

First off, do a search for "thorny path." The trip from Florida down to Puerto Rico and on into the Virgin Islands is not NEARLY as easy as it seems like it might be just from looking at a map. It is NOT something that you can do on any kind of schedule (you'll often have to sit for weeks at a time waiting for the right weather window), unless you have a solid boat and a VERY experienced crew and captain. You don't.

On that note, there is no way that you are going to find a seaworthy boat, that doesn't need a lot of work, in the price range you are looking. Realistically, for a boat that needs only minimal work (and they will all need at least SOME work), you are looking at prices that start around $10-$12k and go up from there. The less you spend, the more work it is going to need.

There are a lot of boats for sale in Florida. But there are also a lot of people who are looking for boats. The ones that are in good condition, seaworthy, and only need minimal work, go very quickly for premium prices. The ones you see lingering on the market, or offered for only a couple of thousand dollars, are the ones that need a LOT of work--I've seen some that I was a little afraid of stepping on board, lest they sink right at the dock.

Of course, all of the floating money-traps are advertised as being "seaworthy" and "ready to sail away." Usually the pictures in the ad were taken years ago, and the boat looks little like them anymore. You should expect to spend a minimum of 6-8 weeks finding a boat, buying it, and preparing it for a trip like this (and that's assuming you multiply your budget 10 times, the $2k-$3k boats will take at least 6 months to get ready).

And we haven't even talked about the fact that you're planning this trip during hurricane season!

No, what you need to do is fly down to Puerto Rico for the wedding, then take the ferry over to the Virgin Islands, and charter a boat from there. That would be the smart and the safe thing to do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 07:03   #15

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

That is one thing that I did not even look at was the dates!!!!! I agree with the last post. The weather is always somthing to consider. But that kind comes on you quickly even if your not in it's path. I have done some easter Carib's and in 2006 had Chris (I think chaseing us all over had to change the trip 2 times). And did have to do a little waiting.
Liltttzr is offline   Reply With Quote