Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: I think this is:
The best way to spend a summer! 3 13.04%
Something I wish I had done when I was 30 3 13.04%
Doable if not risky and burdensome 6 26.09%
Nuts. Out of Touch With Reality. Insulting. 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 07:08   #16

Re: Reality Check: FL -> PR -> VI -> Beyond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, what you need to do is fly down to Puerto Rico for the wedding, then take the ferry over to the Virgin Islands, and charter a boat from there. That would be the smart and the safe thing to do.
This is the fall back plan to be sure and not a bad one at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
First off, do a search for "thorny path." The trip from Florida down to Puerto Rico and on into the Virgin Islands is not NEARLY as easy as it seems like it might be just from looking at a map. It is NOT something that you can do on any kind of schedule (you'll often have to sit for weeks at a time waiting for the right weather window), unless you have a solid boat and a VERY experienced crew and captain. You don't.
This has been the biggest hurtle in the whole trip thus far. I've been doing my reading on this passage and I agree completely with you that I know little of what's required of this passage. The boat purchasing may no longer be part of the plan as we've found another interested party who lives in Florida with a 31' boat that he sails and has been sailing for years regularly. He expressed the same concerns but with a trip window of 1.5 months, he also thought we should give it a go. So things continue to evolve and change.

I do appreciate everyone's responses and most people's containment of their annoyance/resentment at such an "insane" question. I had an idea, I came to a place where I knew I'd get objective information and I thank you for it.
Globalksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 08:08   #17

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

Just a note, do not give up there is a way to do this . Never let a dream or adventuer go away. It may like you stated evolve but you will be all the better for it. I hope that you can get it done and have a great time in the process. Just do not take short cuts (no I am not implying any). Just make the trip as safe and enjoy everything that you can. Best 73's.
Liltttzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 08:32   #18

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
That was a major point of contention among people with whom I've already spoken.

1988 Macgregor26 Sail Boat

Considering the trip gets whittled down to two people, what about a boat, like the one linked to above, would be unfit for the journey?

Quote Boat ad

A 26 Ft Macgregor sail boat in good condition. This boat is a lot of fun and perfect for Florida waters. Pay $100 more for the 5hp engine.

Just sailed her to the Keys with my kids and decided that it's time for a bigger boat.

Cash only. No foreign buyers or anything remotely sounding like that.
In the picture below we actually sailed this boat out of a channel that was 18 inches deep. Two sets of sails

That tells me all I need to know.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 08:35   #19

Quote:
This is the fall back plan to be sure and not a bad one at that.

This has been the biggest hurtle in the whole trip thus far. I've been doing my reading on this passage and I agree completely with you that I know little of what's required of this passage. The boat purchasing may no longer be part of the plan as we've found another interested party who lives in Florida with a 31' boat that he sails and has been sailing for years regularly. He expressed the same concerns but with a trip window of 1.5 months, he also thought we should give it a go. So things continue to evolve and change.

I do appreciate everyone's responses and most people's containment of their annoyance/resentment at such an "insane" question. I had an idea, I came to a place where I knew I'd get objective information and I thank you for it.

With a 31' boat that sailes constantly, and has a captain that sailed for years, the trip is very doable.
Old 16-04-2012, 08:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltttzr View Post
That is one thing that I did not even look at was the dates!!!!! I agree with the last post. The weather is always somthing to consider. But that kind comes on you quickly even if your not in it's path. I have done some easter Carib's and in 2006 had Chris (I think chaseing us all over had to change the trip 2 times). And did have to do a little waiting.
"Starting in PR in July and going to VI from there"

Does the OP know he is planning a trip through the Carribean in peak hurricane season????
Old 16-04-2012, 10:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Quote Boat ad

A 26 Ft Macgregor sail boat in good condition. This boat is a lot of fun and perfect for Florida waters. Pay $100 more for the 5hp engine.

Just sailed her to the Keys with my kids and decided that it's time for a bigger boat.

Cash only. No foreign buyers or anything remotely sounding like that.
In the picture below we actually sailed this boat out of a channel that was 18 inches deep. Two sets of sails

That tells me all I need to know.
With the emphasis now on the "time for a bigger boat", yes, I can see your point.
Old 16-04-2012, 10:26   #22

Quote:
"Starting in PR in July and going to VI from there"

Does the OP know he is planning a trip through the Carribean in peak hurricane season????
Yes, he does. I lived in the USVI during one mild to non-existent hurricane season and perhaps am a bit colored/naive because of that quiet year. However, I also live in New Orleans, where, as you may or may not know, we deal with hurricanes from time to time and life goes on through the season. Not that we spend that season on the water in a 30' boat, but, the awareness is there.

On another note, the friend who I mentioned earlier has a desire now to sail from FL to Venezuela. The new can of worms is now open.
Old 16-04-2012, 11:11   #23

What year was that? The last few have been pretty active. I live in Houston so we get hurricanes about as often as N.O.

Florida more often that us, but less than outer islands that will get the tropical storms almost weekly that build up later into full blown hurricanes. Not that a good blue water cruiser couldn't sail through one, but a beginner with a small cheap boat is going to get hammered.

Unless you know lots of good hurricane holes, I would avoid those latitudes that part of the year. It doesn't matter if the storm comes close or not, the giant waves generated extend out for hundreds of miles.
Old 16-04-2012, 11:17   #24

Not that your trip isn't doable, but I would get a 27' full keel sailboat. That is still doable under 10grand, with a couple grand to fix it up. Go in late spring or early winter, right after the last named storm, and before or inbetween the cold fronts. Try a trip down the keys first to see how the boat handles. Then a short crossing to Dry Tortugas, or Grand Bahama. You'll know a lot more by then.

Most boats don't come cruiser or offshore equiped, plan on spending some money there also, (working head, macerator, cookstove, fridge, epirb, liferaft, anchor winch, chain for coral, etc...)
Old 16-04-2012, 11:24   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

What about this makes you think I'm not serious?
Original post>>> "The Plan: Purchase a seaworthy vessel in southern Florida for $2,000-$3,000 that needs little to no work.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 11:36   #26

Quote:
What year was that? The last few have been pretty active. I live in Houston so we get hurricanes about as often as N.O.
I was in STT from late 2004 to late 2005/early 2006. And yes, Houston does get its fair share as well as its fair share of New Orleanian refugees.
Old 16-04-2012, 11:37   #27

Quote:
Not that your trip isn't doable, but I would get a 27' full keel sailboat.

Most boats don't come cruiser or offshore equiped, plan on spending some money there also, (working head, macerator, cookstove, fridge, epirb, liferaft, anchor winch, chain for coral, etc...)
Thanks for that. That's not something I had thought of, being cruiser equipped.
Old 16-04-2012, 11:45   #28

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

Anyone that tells you this is a good idea is someone that will not be on the boat on your trip. Get it?
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 11:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Anyone that tells you this is a good idea is someone that will not be on the boat on your trip. Get it?
Well said. Point made.
Old 16-04-2012, 17:45   #30

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Your plan falls apart right here.
Agree - add a zero to those numbers for real life.
Remember he is looking for an ocean sailing boat, not one good for lake or inland bays and waters.

Unless they are in their early 20's and used to smashing, crashing and camping lifestyle - it is going to cost some bucks . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote