Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 09:04   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Question on Clearing into Mexico at Isla Mujeres

The last time I cleared into Mexico at Isla Mujeres was Dec. 2009. At that time the Customs officials wanted a clearing out Zarpe from the USA even though they knew that the USA does not issue exit zarpes for USA boats. I had no such papers but a marina receipt issued to me only a few days earlier with the name of my boat on it seemed to satisfy them.They were very insistent that I had proof that my boat had come directly from the States. My question: Is a zarpe or some such notarized paper still required when clearing into Mexico at Isla Mujeres?
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 12:31   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Question on Clearing into Mexico at Isla Mujeres

Joe,

If it is, you can get US Customs and Border Protection to issue you one. All you have to to is go into an office and ask. You might get a quizzical look at first, but they'll do it.
Old 19-12-2011, 13:23   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Early this year I went to US customs at the Key West airport--they were aware of the situation, and gave me a 'courtesy clearance', which worked fine at Isla Mujeres.

However, I saw in a recent post that the harbormaster was now requiring some sort of fumigation certificate--this guy is a real PITA. SSCA Discussion Board • View topic - Check-In - Isla Mujeres
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 14:45   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog

Thanks to Hud and Don for taking the time to respond. Muchas gracias. Yes, I kinda thought that I could go to our bureaucrats and get something that would work. Una problema, I am not at Key West. I plan to leave from Cape Coral. I think I can figure something out that should work. If nothing else crossing their miserable palms with a few bucks always works when push come to shove. Also, there is always the option of not clearing in if you are just passing thru. They usually give you 2 or 3 days before they hunt you down. But if you go directly to a marina upon arrival then you are effectively captured. Thanks again guys.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico