Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2021, 11:50   #31

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Re: Question - Inexpensive places to rent in Caribbean ?

Consider the ABCs. They would help you avoid half of the slog back to the Antilles. I am told that A is not nice; I have never been there. B has a huge inland lake. It would be good if you like living on the hook. B & C both have marinas.

BTW Half of Grenada is inside the hurricane box for Paenteneaus
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 15:41   #32

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Lots of help and information, but I believe Boatman hit the nail on the head.

I was not thinking correctly on where I would be for summer. When starting an Atlantic circuit from the US east coast, ideally you leave in spring. By the time school let out and my wife was free to join me, I would be in the Azores, so that is where I need to consider.

I suppose I could even get over to mainland Portugal. But time and weather would be the deciding factor. Perhaps she'll be brave enough to sail to Madeira and the Canary's with me.
Old 11-08-2021, 18:31   #33

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet

gwada, martinique and antigua are reasonably priced especially in the summer. there are a couple of inexpensive places in st kitts too but check out airbnb. there is nothing wrong with staying on the the hook at any of those islands either
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 06:34   #34

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

You can do well in Grenada. There is a great cruiser community in the southern bays. We are there and we haul the boat tomorrow; 1BR AirBnB is $1,600 for a month (reserved in December). Dominica is cheaper, in the hurricane zone, and very quiet in the summer. Both have great agriculture and local produce.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 06:48   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Inexpensive, Caribbean, On the Water Front, With Harborage... One of things does not match the others. (First one in the list)
A high percentage of the Caribbean lives in poverty. So renting a "locals" place is very cheap. Few places are far from the water, since the islands are small.

But he may struggle to find those places to rent as somebody coming for only a few months and with no connections on the island. Also, some islands will be much safer as an outsider than others. For example, Grenada is one country where it isn't too far out of the norm for foreigners to rent a cheap place on land amongst locals. Somewhere like BVI it would have more places you might feel uncomfortable. The Caribbean is a large place, I'm assuming he's just meaning windward/leewards.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 08:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Thinking about it. Why the Caribbean ? The Dominican Republic offers just as much and at a lower cost. And it is an easy island hop to get there and back,

Sadly crime plagues most of the islands in the Caribbean to some degree but the Dominican Republic is a special case IMO. It can be downright scary unless you stay in the solely tourist locales. And I would not want my wife going out alone, no matter what time of day.
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 21:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
So, here's the idea. I love the trip, my wife loves the destination. She is a schoolteacher, I'm close to retirement. We are kicking around the notion of me sailing the boat to somewhere in Caribbean, and her joining me there.

Two caveats. We are thinking of renting a house or apartment or something for 1 or 2 months and using it as a base, and just doing quick and easy sails for a day or 3 at a time. She really likes that idea, lol. We are curious if this might be feasible and affordable, and have good access to that kind of sailing.

The other problem is the timing. It would have be during summer vacation, i.e. June and July when school is out. I know of the issues with insurance. But it would be great if it could be a place that has a protected hidey-hole just in case a hurricane decided to show up, and still meet the other criteria.

Or would it simply be more practical to stay at hotel/marina places in between sails ? That seems expensive to me, and we/she like the thought of a "homebase" for the duration.

Thoughts anyone ?
Once Cuba settles down again, it is a fantastic spot and the Hemingway Marina is a good spot to tie off... here's the commodores email: comercial@prto.mh.cyt.cu

Another off the beaten path island is Corn Island off the coast of Nicaragua, beautiful place, nice locals, cheap as you'll find in the Caribbean and not frequently pounded by hurricane activity.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 05:21   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
Inexpensive, Caribbean, On the Water Front, With Harborage... One of things does not match the others. (First one in the list)
Not in the Eastern Caribbean, but possible in the W Carib.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 05:23   #39

@OldManMirage

What is your definition of inexpensive?
Old 17-08-2021, 05:40   #40

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
@OldManMirage

What is your definition of inexpensive?
Inexpensive to me would be under $1000/month.
That was why I tried to explain that I didn't need a waterfront villa.

The thread has kind of moved past the Caribbean, as I tried to say when Boatman made me realize I would not be in there during the time frame I thought.

Again, when you make a North Atlantic loop, you normally leave the eastern US in the spring, which would put you in the Azores in the summer. I say normally. I would plan to follow the weather as it makes best sense.
Old 17-08-2021, 06:00   #41

In the W Carib, you could meet your objectives in many venues.

Mexico popular spots like Isla Mujeres/Cancun/Cozumel are a bit more prone to get swiped by a hurricane.

Belize is relatively (to the rest of Central America) expensive, but dockage is still reasonable and with COVID there may be rental deals to be found. Belize gets hurricanes infrequently and usually with enough notice to make a run for the Rio Dulce.

Rio Dulce, Guatemala. The ultimate hurricane hole for the NW Carib, effectively hurricane proof. Dockage is relatively inexpensive and so are rents. In the past I used to rent my dock and guest house for about $400/month (now sold, but there are many others). Great spot for boat work too. Guatemala is also the most amazing country in Central America...inland travel HIGHLY recommended!

Bay Islands, Honduras (I would pass on mainland Honduras due to security issues). Are not hurricane proof, but there are some good hurricane holes on Roatan. Dockage is reasonable, but limited.

Panama. Out of the hurricane zone (only 1 recorded hurricane has ever made land fall there) several locations with reasonable dockage and rents. Bocas del Toro might be a good

Note that even if you are safe from hurricanes, Summer months anywhere in the Carib are still rainy season with more chance of less severe forms of Tropical weather, more rain, and more lightning (the last 2 esp in the W Carib).
Old 17-08-2021, 06:08   #42

Quote:
Inexpensive to me would be under $1000/month.

That was why I tried to explain that I didn't need a waterfront villa.

The thread has kind of moved past the Caribbean, as I tried to say when Boatman made me realize I would not be in there during the time frame I thought.

Again, when you make a North Atlantic loop, you normally leave the eastern US in the spring, which would put you in the Azores in the summer. I say normally. I would plan to follow the weather as it makes best sense.
The Azores are fookin' AWESOME! As is the rest of Portugal. I dont know dockage costs there, but everything else is quite reasonable.

Similar to your plan, I crewed for a friend NYC-Bermuda-Azores. My wife flew in and met us in Horta. We spent over a month touring Portugal. Loved it. Plan to return.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/puqbyw7q8p...1080p.mp4?dl=0
Old 17-08-2021, 06:10   #43

Not inexpensive, but New England is another awesome Summer destination...IMO one of the best possible places on the planet to be for the Summer!
Old 17-08-2021, 06:12   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
is not Dominican republic also Caribean contry.[emoji3]
Yes, the DR is in fact in the Caribbean Basin, but common usage has evolved so that only apparently the E Carib actually exists. [emoji6]
Old 17-08-2021, 06:13   #45

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to add some more relevant info.

My hope is to do an Atlantic circuit. You know, Bermuda, Azores, Madeira, Canaries, Cape Verdes and back across. I would stay somewhere in the Carib long enough to have my wife join me when school lets out.

So it could be anywhere from Barbados and points north. In fact, thinking about that, it may be better to stay south since it would probably be easier to duck down further to get out of the way of anything. I may get stuck down there until after hurricane season, but, I mean, you know. [emoji3]

I definitely do not need, nor do I think I could afford a waterfront hotel or villa. The boat could be moored or in a marina. I'm trying to think of her and what she might enjoy, and I know time on land in an airconditioned enviroment with real beds and such is towards the top of her list. A decent bungalow with even a marginal view of the water would be smashing. It would probably be just the two of us, but who knows...? People get wind of it and maybe want to get in on it.

Reality is we probably will end up staying on the boat, but I thought it would be worth it to get thoughts and ideas from people who may have already done the same thing.

I suppose I can check airbnb, and see what comes up. I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas.
Note that Bermuda can get whacked pretty good during hurricane season.

Tags
Caribbean, rib