Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2021, 05:11   #1

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Question - Inexpensive places to rent in Caribbean ?

So, here's the idea. I love the trip, my wife loves the destination. She is a schoolteacher, I'm close to retirement. We are kicking around the notion of me sailing the boat to somewhere in Caribbean, and her joining me there.

Two caveats. We are thinking of renting a house or apartment or something for 1 or 2 months and using it as a base, and just doing quick and easy sails for a day or 3 at a time. She really likes that idea, lol. We are curious if this might be feasible and affordable, and have good access to that kind of sailing.

The other problem is the timing. It would have be during summer vacation, i.e. June and July when school is out. I know of the issues with insurance. But it would be great if it could be a place that has a protected hidey-hole just in case a hurricane decided to show up, and still meet the other criteria.

Or would it simply be more practical to stay at hotel/marina places in between sails ? That seems expensive to me, and we/she like the thought of a "homebase" for the duration.

Thoughts anyone ?
Old 10-08-2021, 06:03   #2

Re: Question - Inexpensive places to rent in Caribbean ?

Inexpensive, Caribbean, On the Water Front, With Harborage... One of things does not match the others. (First one in the list)
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:17   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Never rented a house, but Martinique is an affordable place to stay. We've did hotel with full breakfast for $100 a night 3-5 years ago. Your best bet will be in the Windwards or possibly Puerto Rico. The Leewards are going to be too pricey.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:32   #4

I think the bigger challenge is storing the boat. Marinas are less common and more expensive. If you are on a mooring, you still need someplace to put the dingy.

Plugged into airbnb and found lots of places for next may for under $1500 for the month. Depends how big and how well placed. A 4 bedroom villia with private pool right on the beach...that's going to be a bit of a tough call but a smaller place a little ways from the water is viable.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question - Inexpensive places to rent in Caribbean ?

Well in 2000 I rented a place in St Martin for a couple of months for $40/night but very much doubt you and the missus would like it.. or the Phillipsburg neighbourhood.
BVI's in 2006 I was renting a room in a hotel for $110/night while waiting for a boat purchase to go through..
Cheap and Caribbean don't gel unless your willing to go where most Honkies fear to tread..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:41   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

There are villas on the water in Jolly Harbor, Antigua. Current COVID protocol is pretty lenient there. Some villas have docks or you can take a $25 US/day, or the marina for more. Anchoring out in Jolly Harbor is easy with a good modern anchor. If a hurricane comes your way either sail to a safe harbor, usually south or haul at the marina and tie down. Off season rates for long term rental can be attractive and some villas are for sale, affordable. Golf carts are available long and short term.

Jolly is well protected on three sides my high hills and the approach takes you well inland in a complicated, long waterway. We are currently on the hard there and relatively secure up to Cat 3.

Sailing around the island is nice with many anchorages even on the east side. These are protected behind divable reefs, clear water.

The concern I have is sailing a 28 foot boat to the Caribbean in storm season. It’s a long haul upwind from the US. This is no joke as the prevailing winds are about 98% East +/- 10 degrees. Most of us do the transit from Hampton, Virginia in November by heading to sea to make 60 degrees west longitude or less before turning south. For the big boats this 1500 miles is 7-14 days. You will be island hopping on selected good days.

Consider a villa without your boat to get a look. Just so you know, Antigua caters to cruisers and mega yachts. In season, November to June, the place is hopping. English and Faulmouth Harbors are loaded with hundreds of boats and the docks may have around 50 yachts over 200 feet. Off season the rugs are rolled up and many restaurants etc closed for the season. The Antigua Yacht Club in Faulmouth Harbor remains active and a very affordable membership allows you to use the shore facilities, showers, toilets and check out the many small boats available to members. Maybe an Air B&B or off season resort near Faulmouth and a club membership would suit you both.

There are of course places a bit closer to the US but you did say Caribbean.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:49   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I think it would help us if you gave us a definition of "inexpensive".

It's a very relative word. Your inexpensive might be someone else's expensive.

It'll help us to help.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:54   #8

Have to agree that the hard part will be getting there in the first place as the wind and current are against you. You can island hop down the Bahamas.

See.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Gu.../dp/1470146967
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

There was another thread fairly recently with a similar question. IIRC Jolly Was hightly recommended there as well. I would hard it a hard look.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:00   #10

Thinking about it. Why the Caribbean ? The Dominican Republic offers just as much and at a lower cost. And it is an easy island hop to get there and back,
Old 10-08-2021, 09:16   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Thinking about it. Why the Caribbean ? The Dominican Republic offers just as much and at a lower cost. And it is an easy island hop to get there and back,
is not Dominican republic also Caribean contry.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:24   #12

True. I should have said why go further south than the Dominican Republic as from there on it is a hard slog to windward to the USVI etc.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:39   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Anchor out. Cooler. Dive into the warm water at dawn. Docks can get hot. Get good fast dinghy. Stay in occasional hotel for break.
I like Guadalupe. Food is best. We stay at inexpensive family hotels. Bequia has some cheap places.
Your wife might like anchoring out in the Caribbean more than you might think. Lots of beach restaurants to eat at.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:41   #14

Boat: Gulf 32

Anegada?
Old 10-08-2021, 10:47   #15

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Cheap and Caribbean don't gel unless your willing to go where most Honkies fear to tread.. [emoji3]
Hilarious and true!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib