Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2021, 11:14   #16

Re: Question - Inexpensive places to rent in Caribbean ?

I really enjoyed the Eastern carribean... few years back spent 6 months on petit martintque... quiet peaceful easy reach to other islands
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:29   #17

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Airbnb is your friend. Cuba is great and much more inexpensive. People are very nice.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:30   #18

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to add some more relevant info.

My hope is to do an Atlantic circuit. You know, Bermuda, Azores, Madeira, Canaries, Cape Verdes and back across. I would stay somewhere in the Carib long enough to have my wife join me when school lets out.

So it could be anywhere from Barbados and points north. In fact, thinking about that, it may be better to stay south since it would probably be easier to duck down further to get out of the way of anything. I may get stuck down there until after hurricane season, but, I mean, you know.

I definitely do not need, nor do I think I could afford a waterfront hotel or villa. The boat could be moored or in a marina. I'm trying to think of her and what she might enjoy, and I know time on land in an airconditioned enviroment with real beds and such is towards the top of her list. A decent bungalow with even a marginal view of the water would be smashing. It would probably be just the two of us, but who knows...? People get wind of it and maybe want to get in on it.

Reality is we probably will end up staying on the boat, but I thought it would be worth it to get thoughts and ideas from people who may have already done the same thing.

I suppose I can check airbnb, and see what comes up. I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:45   #19

I know it's further south but Trinidad might be a nice option. Should be clear of hurricanes and they are known for having marine facilities.

Question: What exactly are you looking to do if you are there for months?

We used to think the Caribbean would be great but while it's nice to take a break from the hectic world for a week and just relax on the beach watching the waves break and the sunset...Eventually, it's not much different from sitting on the porch watching the grass grow.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 13:02   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question - Inexpensive places to rent in Caribbean ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to add some more relevant info.

My hope is to do an Atlantic circuit. You know, Bermuda, Azores, Madeira, Canaries, Cape Verdes and back across. I would stay somewhere in the Carib long enough to have my wife join me when school lets out.

So it could be anywhere from Barbados and points north. In fact, thinking about that, it may be better to stay south since it would probably be easier to duck down further to get out of the way of anything. I may get stuck down there until after hurricane season, but, I mean, you know.

I definitely do not need, nor do I think I could afford a waterfront hotel or villa. The boat could be moored or in a marina. I'm trying to think of her and what she might enjoy, and I know time on land in an airconditioned enviroment with real beds and such is towards the top of her list. A decent bungalow with even a marginal view of the water would be smashing. It would probably be just the two of us, but who knows...? People get wind of it and maybe want to get in on it.

Reality is we probably will end up staying on the boat, but I thought it would be worth it to get thoughts and ideas from people who may have already done the same thing.

I suppose I can check airbnb, and see what comes up. I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas.
In that case why not fly her out to the Azores to spend some time cruising those islands together.. there's regular flights to the US on Terceira as the American base there needs changeovers etc..
You could time your arrival for the school summer holidays.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 13:06   #21

Are you planning on doing that Atlantic circuit in that Cape Dory 28? I have some friends that live on theirs and it seems pretty cramped. Plus its on the small side for those long passages.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 16:21   #22

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

I think there is an easy answer to the question. You want cheap, safe and sociable.

Widen your net to anything bordering the Caribbean Sea. Stay in a posh/maybe-not-so-posh marina not a hotel.

Now you can think about Santa Marta in Colombia, Puerto Lindo & Shelter Bay in Panama & Rio Dulce in Guatemala.

The only downside is, at the end of the hurricane season, you have the unpleasant sail back to the Greater or Lesser Antillies.

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 16:46   #23

Quote:
So, here's the idea. I love the trip, my wife loves the destination. She is a schoolteacher, I'm close to retirement. We are kicking around the notion of me sailing the boat to somewhere in Caribbean, and her joining me there.

Two caveats. We are thinking of renting a house or apartment or something for 1 or 2 months and using it as a base, and just doing quick and easy sails for a day or 3 at a time. She really likes that idea, lol. We are curious if this might be feasible and affordable, and have good access to that kind of sailing.

The other problem is the timing. It would have be during summer vacation, i.e. June and July when school is out. I know of the issues with insurance. But it would be great if it could be a place that has a protected hidey-hole just in case a hurricane decided to show up, and still meet the other criteria.

Or would it simply be more practical to stay at hotel/marina places in between sails ? That seems expensive to me, and we/she like the thought of a "homebase" for the duration.

Thoughts anyone ?
It might not work for your wife(because too third world on land there), but if you want inexpensive checkout Rio Dulce, Guatemala. You might be able to find a house to rent with air cond, which you will definitely need in summer there), on the river where you could anchors your boat in front. Plus Rio Dulce is 20 miles up river so is a good hurricane hole. There will be lots of cruisers there waiting for hurricane season to end. For Rio Dulce your boat cannot draw more than 4.5 to 5 ft to get past the sand bar at the mouth of the river without a lot of difficulty.

I have stayed in inexpensive airbnb's in Martinique. Grenada is out of the hurricane zone. I know nothing about Grenada but I understand it is pricey.

An advantage of Rio Dulce, Guatemala is you can escape into the mountains(checkout Lake Atitlan, Guatemala and Antigua, Guatemala), at 5K ft to 7K ft elevation when you become weary of the summer heat and humidity on the coast. My wife and I live at 7K ft elevation near Antigua, Guatemala. It rarely goes above 75 F.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In that case why not fly her out to the Azores to spend some time cruising those islands together.. there's regular flights to the US on Terceira as the American base there needs changeovers etc..
You could time your arrival for the school summer holidays.

This is good advice. In fact, as I think about the timing of where you want to be and when you want to be there, the Azores make even more sense. And from what I've seen Sao Jorge is one awesomely beautiful place.

Again, the reality is that we will likely end up staying on the boat, with maybe a couple nights in a marina/hotel thrown in 2 or 3 times during the two months time we would have.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
Are you planning on doing that Atlantic circuit in that Cape Dory 28? I have some friends that live on theirs and it seems pretty cramped. Plus its on the small side for those long passages.
No, I don't own my CD28 anymore. My lovely Miss Mirage is in the hands of a younger man who is living aboard her. But I have plans for another, and she will be slightly larger.

But as far as making the trip in a CD28, you should check out Sam Holmes Sailing on YouTube. He is doing a great job in his.

Always remember - one man's hovel is another man's castle.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:36   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... Always remember - one man's hovel is another man's castle.
In which scenario, you may wish to avoid becoming that "other" man.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:35   #27

oxymoron
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:18   #28

This is a whacky recommendation, but in summertime, you don't really want to be in the Caribbean, you should be considering spots that are perfect for those selected months you are there. My suggestion if you are from the US, is look into doing the Great Loop or portions of it. There are a million hole in the wall places you could jump between and do exploring that probably would not be that expensive. Then when you are done for the season, put the boat on the hard wherever you end up, and that's where you start the next year. The Great Lakes have years worth of exploring to do themselves, and are fantastic from June-August.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:22   #29

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

You could also consider the ABCs. They have the advantage that you have less of a slog to get back to the Antilles at the end of summer. I am told that A is not nice. B has a huge inland lake if you like living off the hook. B & C have nice marinas.

BTW: The northern half of Grenada is inside the hurricane box of my insurer -Panteanius. All of Grenada is not really safe. There have been some very serious recent hurricanes. I spent a delightful summer on the hook in Prickly Bay. I kept a very close eye on the weather though. My plan was to flee to Trinidad if it looked like a hurricane might come.
Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:42   #30

Boat: Seaward 22

Check out places to stay in Guadaloupe in VRBO. Some reasonable choices. I'd be concerned about being in the hurricane box in the summer. We have chartered multiple times in July, and tropical waves are common that time of year.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib