Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2008, 11:13   #31

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Ah, shoot... last I heard (which was a while ago, I admit) US citizens were allowed to sail to Cuba as long as they didn't spend $$. I guess things are different now?

I guess I can no longer sail to Cuba and tell the (really nice) cuban people how great it is to live in a free country?... interpret that in the most respectful manner you wish.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 17:47   #32
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Soft Air, I agree with KN and i2f. Just like you don't want people judging you by whatever stereotypes they may have, please don't judge all of us by the one or two insensitive people earlier in the thread. That's not an admonition, but a plea.

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

If I were you (a non-US citizen with a non-US boat) I'd return from Cuba to a non-US location. Then, and this is important, when you next visit the US, make sure you don't have any Cuban products on board. Just to be on the safe side, I'd travel to Cuba from a non-US location as well.

You don't want to come into the US with the last stamp on your passport to be from Cuba and you don't want to be importing anything from Cuba.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 04:21   #33
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
This thread contained some posts that were contrary to the spirit of the Forum and in violation of its Rules. Those posts were deleted, and subsequent posts by others that referred to the deleted posts were, in turn, deleted.

As happens so often when discussions turn political, the real discussion (Cruising) gets thrown off track, and hard feelings develop. The Moderation Team asks (again!) that you read (or re-read) the Forum's community rules, especially this one:
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
Thank you.
Old 11-12-2008, 14:37   #34

Just love this forum.
I posted something on Cuba but got no feedback (probably because I was on the wrong thread, I think I'm on the right one now).
I sailed (as a novice sailor) to Cuba about a decade ago, and all in all, it was a good experience. Although, technically it was illegal, it certainly was a lot easier than now. When I went to the US Customs to tell them I was going to Cuba and obtain the clearance out document, they actually told me what to say, that I was going to Mexico, and that I was returning to the US via the Bahamas, capish, yes maam.
Any body who would chance trying to go there now, under the present admin should, first, take a trip to a psychiatrist, and have his head examined.
The present admin has two (2) months to go. The winner of the next one has already confirmed publicly that he will close down Guantanamo as soon as he gets in. I keep my fingers crossed and would bet that many other things are going to change very rapidly (like lifting the embargo against Cuba).
Patience, patience, Cuba is going to become, very soon, once again, one of the very desired cruising destinations.
J.P.
johnpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 14:43   #35

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
J P, Agree 100% and we too visited there some time ago. Anyone interested can read a copy of our Soundings article at

Voyages of Sea Trek: 05. Our Soundings Cuba Article

You have to click on each page to read it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 15:06   #36

Once I cleared in Marina Hemingway, I was boarded by (no less than) forteen oficials, and a "little pooch", including a doctor who spoke perfect French for some reason, who kindly asked me if was OK... I was also asked if I had eggs, milk or weapons to which I answered no I'm a vegetarian. Oh, I forgot to mention, they all took their boots off.
I must admit, it was a bit of a lengthy procedure, but I never felt like something "negative" was suddenly going to emerge.
They also were extremely interested in my CUBA A Cruising Guide by Niel Calder, they stayed an extra hour browsing through it.
After all the formalities were processed, I cleared out, to, yes, clear in, again and visited the Gardens of the Queen on the south west side.
The memories are simply phenomenal.
I am crossing my fingers...
J.P.
Old 11-12-2008, 16:17   #37
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
One of the reasons for me to establishing a corporation with the solely purpose of registering my boat in the BVI was that I can freely sail to Cuba, I am an airline pilot and I have flow commercially to Cuba for the last 4 years hauling passengers from South America.

My boat will be home based in Bocas del Toro, Panama. I want to respectfully express my opinions on what happen to the enviroment and natural resources when paradises like this are discovered by North Americans or European...3 years later you have plenty of Mc Donalds and Starbucks and of course their hundred of clients all over the place.

Statistically the 20% developed countries of the entire globe consume 80% of eathts resources, I need to sail to Cuba before this happens.

Best,
Old 11-12-2008, 20:53   #38

Dear, dear Soft Air,
Take all this with a grain of salt.
As sailors, we can always go somewhere else, but wherever you go, if you dig, you will always be faced with the injustices of politics and society, if that's what you're looking for.
Cuba, (if, and when the ambargo is lifted) will certainly become a destination.
Anyone, on this planet, is free to go where they want (within reason). Any one with a boat, a Dollar or a sense of adventure will go to Cuba.
What are you, respectfully, prepared to do about it.
This question applies, of course, to all of of us.
J.P.

Tags
Cuba