Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 19:13   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Purchasing Boat in Panama, transport to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
It is too tall and to wide to fit in a container. Beam is 3.2 meters, 10.5 feet.

It is trailerable, so if you buy a trailer you could likely ship on a RoRo.

Much easier to purchase one in the States. It is not a unique vessel.
And much cheaper.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 09:18   #17

Re: Purchasing Boat in Panama, transport to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
And much cheaper.
+1,

It is a trailerable boat but at 10.5 in beam may be considered an oversized load which imposes restrictions of road transporting it. But if you could drive it from Panama City, Panama to Miami, Florida the drive is projected to be:

3,978 miles · If there is light traffic · 2 days, 21 hrs

Yet, I will admit that I am rather confounded why one would be looking at boats located in Panama if it is ones intent to use it in Florida. Florida of all the States has gazzillions of basic motorboats of similar type and size.

To place it in perspective, what you are considering would be like me instructing my ranch manager to go to Florida to buy an Angus bull to supplement the breeding stock for servicing our herd of cows in Montana. There are 2.5 million cattle in Montana and just over 1 million persons. I can just imagine the look I would receive from him, and the ranch hands, and the neighboring ranchers that would undoubtedly be told about my request; they would never not stop ribbing me for considering such. I would become the butt of good natured jokes, the kind that are like when the Cattle Judges at the County Fair often ask the 4-H kids the standard question: How many steers are calved each year in Montana?

The correct answer: None.

Steers are young, male cattle that have been neutered; they aren't born neutered.

There are two tangible goods in Florida that are easy to come by, Oranges and Boats, especially powered boats. Oh, yeah and reptiles. Albeit there are far, far fewer oranges being produced in Florida now than two decades ago. Orange production down 75% and grapefruit production down 85%.

For jest, I have always wanted to have a denim ranchers jacket embroidered on the back with the words: Montana Orange Growers Association, along with an embroidered orange and leafed branch to wear to the County Fair and Rodeo and live stock auctions. It would become cause for people to ask me what - MOGA -was and if such organization is for real. I could then tell them: Of course it is. Montana is where your frozen concentrate is produced, with a wink.

Enjoy your soon new to you boat. Hope you have many fine times aboard.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Panama, purchasing