Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2008, 14:15   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Progress in St. Kitts?

From today's 'Lectronic Latitude, comes word that an unspoiled part of St. Kitts is being developed. It would be informative to read Hud3's take on this - nothing like "boots-on-the-ground" in the affected area (or should that be Topsiders-on-the-deck, perhaps barefeet-on-the-sand?):

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Auberge du Soleil . . . of St. Kitts?

"January 30, 2008 – St. Kitts, West Indies

"The beaches on the windward side of the Christophe Harbour development site on St. Kitts aren't anywhere as crowded as California beaches during the summer, and the water is 30 degrees warmer.
Photo Courtesy Christophe Harbor
© 2008 Latitude 38 Publishing Co., Inc.

"It's hard to believe, but through all the 1700s, the 5-mile by 15-mile island of St. Kitts in the northern part of the Eastern Caribbean had more trade with Britian than did the United States. Ever since, however, the economic fortunes of the two countries have moved in dramatically different directions. The former has become a backwater relying almost entirely on a dying sugar trade, and the latter has become the economic locomotive of the world. But there's at least a minor change in the making.

"The Christophe Harbour Marina will make use of the currently existing salt pond.
Photo Courtesy Christophe Harbour
© 2008 Latitude 38 Publishing Co., Inc."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For the rest of the story, go to:

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

TaoJones
Old 30-01-2008, 15:30   #2

The southeast peninsula is where the best beaches and some good anchorages are. We anchored in Cockleshell Bay near the salt pond and had a great time. This was a few years ago and the peninsula wasn't exactly undeveloped, but there was only one real road and there were plenty of deserted beaches or beaches with nothing but a tiki bar. I guess further development is inevitable.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 01:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Kiawah Development Partners (KDP) Press Release:
http://www.christopheharbour.com/pdf...rtners_OPR.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 04:24   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Tao,

I hadn't seen the Lat 38 article--thanks! Interesting to note the California connection amongst the developers.

This HUGE project has been surfacing in the local and regional news for the last year or so. Interestingly, there was an almost identical news article about five years ago, with mostly the same players. Maybe it will actually get off the ground this time; they do sound serious.

I can see the Southeast Peninsula from my home here on Nevis, and some unrelated development has begun in the last 12 months, mainly large private villas. There's a lot of talk and some press releases about several "five star" hotel and marina projects here on Nevis, too. All that's needed is some deep pockets to back them! Any takers?

Ex-pats who've lived here longer than I have are naturally skeptical. They've seen many such projects make a PR splash and then fizzle. They'll believe it when they see it. Doing a major development project in the Caribbean is quite a bit different than doing one back in the States. Did you ever read Herman Wouk's novel, "Don't Stop the Carnival"? It's hilarious, and a pretty good description of how things go down here. It was based on a real hotel, the ruins of which still exist on one of the islands off Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas--Water Island, I think. Truth is stranger than fiction! You've heard of the Bermuda Triangle? Well, the eastern Caribbean is called "The Logic Free Zone".

It would be great to have a nice marina nearby, though! And the spot they've chosen, The Great Salt Pond, is marvelously protected from storms. I wonder if I'll be able to afford to keep my boat there for hurricane season?
Old 30-01-2009, 22:01   #5

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
I spent 4 years in St. Kitts building the cruise ship pier and new shops area in Basseterre, maybe I should apply for a job with the new developer? Sure would be nice to get out of the cold winters here in Maryland.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 20:26   #6

It is sad to see such a beautiful place go down the tubes of a mega yacht complex... St. Kitts is not Florida. The SE peninsula is a gem, see it while you can.
gilsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:10   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I second the opinion that I would not hold my breath waiting for these "mega" projects to actually see the light of day or ever get done. In the Dominican Republic and even in Grenada, these type projects fold up for lack of money/backers or local political climate changes. Port Louis in Grenada was originally announced to be finished in 2002 and now 7 years and 3 different developers later it is still only 1/3 or less built. In most of the Caribbean these developers pop up with "50 million dollar dreams and fifty bucks in their pocket."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
HUD:

Are these reports “over-optimistic”?

According to Work Begins On St. Kitts’ Christophe Harbour | Nevis Island Tourism Information Blog.

The clearing of the construction site for Christophe Harbour has started at Cockle Shell Bay on the Southeast Peninsula. The project will span 2,500 acres with access to six beaches including Cockle Shell Beach, where the work began.

According to Mr. Mark Pavluvcik, Director of Development/Construction for KHT Land Holdings, the project will take 10 to 15 years to be completed...

And Yacht Crews Inspect Christophe Harbour Marina Plans | Nevis Island Tourism Information Blog.

... The Christophe Harbour marina and yacht harbour, when launched in 2011 with the other resort components, will accommodate vessels up to 300 ft. in length and offer commercial and technical advantages that are unique to the region’s boating communities...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hard to judge, Gord, but I will say that I was over on St. Kitts last week, and could see that they've begun some work. A sales office has been built, survey work done, some heavy earth-moving equipment is active. I'm told that they're building the golf course now. They just started development of one of the prime residential areas, Sandy Bank Bay, which is on the Atlantic side. They've had a few layoffs, but they're looking to hire some specialized skillsets, as well.

Ossiris' comments are on target for a lot of the "development dreams" that are floated down here in the Caribbean, but this one might just make it. The partners are big-time players. I have no inside info on their financing sources for this project.

They seem to be moving forward, but at a rather slow pace, since they had a ground-breaking announcement a couple of years ago.
Old 03-08-2009, 18:00   #10

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Nevis?

Wow, just noticed you live in Nevis! I live in St Kitts. Since you have email disabled, how might I reach you?
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 18:08   #11

PyotrBee,

Click on the name and you will get a list of options including email.

Gil
gilsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 18:13   #12

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
It was disabled and some users have it disabled in their profile.. but it turns out I was not logged in when I tried. Now I'm logged in and I can see the option.
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Kitts