Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2018, 12:08   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)
Posting things to Las Palmas

Hi All,

Looking for some hints. I am travelling to Las Palmas in late October. I would like some items shipped there to take advantage of the lack of VAT. Has anyone done this before? Where do you tend to get them shipped to? Do I need to appoint a local agent?

Many thanks,
Lawrence
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 12:38   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Posting things to Las Palmas

Once you are there you can find agents that will do it for you , if you want to buy part for the boat in canaries they are already cheaper etc ( katadyn e40 new costs 2800 euro )
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 12:41   #3

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)

Thats great. I am hoping that I could order stuff in September and it will be there waiting for me. For example, I quite fancy ordering the Rainman Water Maker and getting it delivered there.

Do you have any recommendations for that?
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 12:46   #4

My recommendation is to buy it from a local store .
Dealing with agent for only one item and shipping is not really worth the money .
I did it but to worth the difference I had to add a lot of staff so I order everything from Germany , antifouling , water maker , liferaft other parts and have them shipped all together .
The reason I did it was because liferaft from.germany cost 800 euro with vat and to buy local.the cost was 1600.
If.you want to save the 20% of the vat is really not worth the trouble
Old 07-10-2018, 07:13   #5

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)

Shipping to the Canaries might be gambling because of the customs. The islands are part of EU but they have a particular status and goods have to be cleared pay customs. This may take days up to weeks. The chandleries are so kind making you familiar with the Caribbean prices. In other words you gonna pay more compared on EU mainland.
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsons View Post
Shipping to the Canaries might be gambling because of the customs. The islands are part of EU but they have a particular status and goods have to be cleared pay customs. This may take days up to weeks. The chandleries are so kind making you familiar with the Caribbean prices. In other words you gonna pay more compared on EU mainland.
I don't know about the prices ... Katadyn e40 water maker cost 3100 in mainland and 2500 + 300 for crusing kit )in canaries , victron energy smart solar cost 120 in mainland 100 in canaries , Nikon d5300 DSLR cost 480 in Greece I bought it new 390 in canaries so really I don't see the problem with prices(except in particular chandlers) .

You can ship from Spain this.means using AliExpress from Spain warehouses for solar upgrades (cost 70to 90 0
Let solar panel ).

P.S all the prices go up during ARC!! i bought a fish hook for 9 euros the next week was 11 on the same chandler .

PS2 everything related to arc (epirbs , liferafts,satellite phones ) getting more expensive too .

This is what I observed the one year I been in las palmas , but now it's time to move on towards west Africa , wishing to find some more humanity.( Spanish people greed of wealth have really got on my nerves )

Tags
las palmas, posting