Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 20:28   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
not to thread hi-jack, but what happened in Volusia was unacceptable for a civilized country. We aren't living in a police-state....yet (it seem).

I for one will be keeping my boat and my money away from there...by land and by sea. We cancelled our timeshare booking for later next year as well as our RV trip to Daytona for one of the races.

Plenty of places that actually want the business and can do it without resorting to Gestapo tactics.
Were you there ? Do you have first hand account of the incident ?
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 21:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaasun71 View Post
Were you there ? Do you have first hand account of the incident ?
Enough's been written about it from credible sources (including Cruisers Net) to influence me to action. Even the public information officer didn't deny that they boarded without announcement or advisement...stating it is their right to board without even announcing..

Well, thats all fine and good, but most officers in my parts make it a point to request boarding...not behave like a group of marauding jack-booted thugs of the SS.

I've voted with my pocketbook this season and next...and will make it a point to advise *ANYONE* that transits those waterways to be aware of this behavior...its simply unacceptable.

In this day/age of Google, there are consequences to obtuse government tactics. I'm very glad that when you search Volusia and cruising, you get more and more "relevant" links to various boards and the article discussing the incident...its only a matter of time before its the #1 link relevant. Then, I'm sure local businesses will start feeling the effect and reign in their out of control local authorities.

Checks and balances.

Which reminds me...need to go drop a "local hazard" near Smyrna on Active Captain.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 21:15   #18

Done...active captain "Local Hazard" marked.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:06   #19

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
not to thread hi-jack, but what happened in Volusia was unacceptable for a civilized country. We aren't living in a police-state....yet (it seem).

I for one will be keeping my boat and my money away from there...by land and by sea. We cancelled our timeshare booking for later next year as well as our RV trip to Daytona for one of the races.

Plenty of places that actually want the business and can do it without resorting to Gestapo tactics.
None of you get it do you?
the crew PROVOKED the police. they showed admirble restraint.
on the basis of facts, the crew seem to have been trying to get away with something.
It was not a random boarding. every time i hav had dealings with officers in this part of FL they have allways been polite, even when i was in the wrong.
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
None of you get it do you?
the crew PROVOKED the police. they showed admirble restraint.
on the basis of facts, the crew seem to have been trying to get away with something.
It was not a random boarding. every time i hav had dealings with officers in this part of FL they have allways been polite, even when i was in the wrong.

I was kinda mad when i first read about this incident because i have always found the law enforcement officers in Voluisa County to be really cool. They always will stop and chit chat and they are boaters too when they are off duty, so it seemed really strange that this would happen. After speaking to someone who was actually there when this happened i feel they did nothing out of line.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Almost every entry between Augustine and the Keys is dangerous in strong winds from the north and the east. Even Miami and Lauderdale can be dangerous in severe weather.
This is true with the possible exception of Port Canaveral. East can still be a challenge but the shoals of the cape help a lot when the wind is out of the north. It's deep and wide and an easy entrance. Certainly the best north of Ft Lauderdale. You do need to make sure to stay far enough off shore when approaching from the north that you don't tangle with the shoals of the cape in rough weather.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote