Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 15:01   #1

Pavlidis' 'Exuma Guide, 3rd Edition' - Thoughts?

Hi all, I'm preparing for a winter Bahamas cruise and pulling together the necessary charts and guides. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm mostly looking to anchor out and eat cheap rather than stay in marinas. So far I've found used versions of all the Explorer Chartbooks and Dodge's Abacos guide. How does everyone feel about Pavlidis' Exuma Guide? Does it offer a lot of useful information that's not in the Explorer Chartbooks? I feel like the Explorer Chartbooks already have lots of waypoints and useful information on towns and stops.

Also, does the new 3rd Edition of The Exuma Guide ($60) have a lot of updates versus the older 2nd Edition ($25)? And finally, how does everyone feel about "The Yachtsman's Guide to The Bahamas"?

I would check out all these books myself, but I'm in the middle of Texas so all I can really do is order them online = ).

Thanks,
Nick
nmwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 15:09   #2

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uide-6236.html

Read this thread for discussion on Bahamas guides if you have not already. It does not answer all your questions but is worth a read.
Old 05-10-2009, 15:29   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The Yachtmans Guide is imho the worst guide for the Bahamas, it's also the oldest and was the only guide in the eighties. I have two versions, about ten years apart and it's all the same old stuff and poor sketch charts. It was good in its day but failed to follow the times. My newest one is about 2003, they may have improved it now but I doubt it. Mathew Wilson's guide is much superior but you don't really need that one either.

Palidis' guides are always good. His one on the Exumas is the bible. If you're on a budget an old one will do. Don't know about his new one.
Old 05-10-2009, 15:34   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
IMHO if you are anchoring out and not interested in marinas and restaurants then the older guides will work. The islands and rocks don't change, just the restaurant and marina owners/services.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 15:37   #5

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Nick,

At one point they included the Ragged Islands in the Exuma Explorer chart, cant remember if 2nd has them or not. Other than that you will do just fine with the old edition. Some marina, store info etc.. will be out of date but I am pretty sure the soundings will be the same. You can live with out the glossy color pages.
Pavlidis guide will add info not found in the Explorer charts, The Yachtsmans guide is no where near as good.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 16:29   #6

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
I use the Explorer Charts. Nav/waypoints are accurate. Charts are clear (not sketches etc.) and 2nd edition is still very functional. I've made the trip a few times with both second and third editions and the changes, especially with what you're looking to do, are pretty minimal.

Good luck. Have fun.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 06-10-2009, 05:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Yachtmans Guide is imho the worst guide for the Bahamas, it's also the oldest and was the only guide in the eighties. I have two versions, about ten years apart and it's all the same old stuff and poor sketch charts. It was good in its day but failed to follow the times. My newest one is about 2003, they may have improved it now but I doubt it.
Palidis' guides are always good. His one on the Exumas is the bible. If you're on a budget an old one will do. Don't know about his new one.
I second all of that. I used the Yachtsman's Guide in the mid '90's, with a copy from the late '80s. So last year I bought a copy of their new one, and it's the same book that they were putting out 25 years ago.
The Pavlidis Guides are great.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:44   #8

Thanks so much for the replies, everyone! Less than a day and I already have my question answered. I'm going to get an older version of the Pavlidis guide and skip the Yachtsman Guide.
nmwarren is offline   Reply With Quote