Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 17:25   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I would think about doing a whole lot fewer miles and a whole lot more exploration. Going from the Cape Cod Canal to Lubec in one shot missed the entire coast of Maine. Try hoping from the canal to the Penobscot Bay and then hang around island hopping for a few weeks. Find out which town has the best lobster rolls and enjoy some of the best sailing in the world along with some of the most perfect anchorages.
I agree 1000%

Great advice.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 17:38   #17

I would also recommend sailing the Saint John River system in New Brunswick. The Cruising Club of NY makes (or used to?) it a semi- annual trip as they (I was told) consider it the best cruising destination on the east coast. Lots of quiet anchorages, marinas, beautiful rural scenery, no (or little) coastal fog, and loads of charm. I particularly love the aptly named Belle-isle Bay.

Newfoundland is spectacular in an other world kind of way.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 18:12   #18

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Thanks for the additional input, guys. I'm still toying with the Nova Scotia idea but it's more likely that I'll stay between here and New England. The St. Lawrence loop looks amazing and I'm definitely going to plan on doing that someday, but it's long for the time I have this summer. Good to know about the current and direction of choice, that makes sense.

Before I hit the cruising guides again, anyone have any other must see spots to add to the list?

And as for the Chesapeake, I have ten days off in late April and I'm planning on cruising down there. Not sure if we'll have enough time to circumnavigate the peninsula or just explore the northern parts and then head back through the canal.

Thanks again for the advice!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 18:19   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 419
If you were to go thru the Cape Cod canal heading north not wanting to sail overnight, what stops would anyone suggest sailing about 6-10 hours at a clip.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:16   #20

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Jimbo,

There are lots of places to anchor around Buzzards bay. Some are right by the canal and some are a little ways out, so you can time your arrival depending on the tide. On the Cape Cod side there aren't as many anchorages, but you can get to Wellfleet, Plymouth, Provincetown or even Boston Harbor in a solid afternoon of sailing.

On the way north we went from Montauk to Buzzard's Bay and anchored off South Dartmouth, MA, then went on to Wellfleet the next day, where we stayed in a marina. On the way back down, we spent nights in Annisquam, then Plymouth, then went through the canal to Hadley's Harbor near Woods Hole. All the places we went were pretty great, to be honest, but watch out for jerks and giant wakes in the canal. How far up are you going?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 20:07   #21

The current in the st lawrence especially when the tide is going out is to much for a sailboat. When we were up there the current mid ebb was 11 plus knots and there are not much for achorages along the way east of Tadousac. Water is cold and there is always fog in the flood tide, always!
dreamketcher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 20:08   #22

GO CLOCKWISE!!!!
dreamketcher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 20:44   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Jimbo,

There are lots of places to anchor around Buzzards bay. Some are right by the canal and some are a little ways out, so you can time your arrival depending on the tide. On the Cape Cod side there aren't as many anchorages, but you can get to Wellfleet, Plymouth, Provincetown or even Boston Harbor in a solid afternoon of sailing.

On the way north we went from Montauk to Buzzard's Bay and anchored off South Dartmouth, MA, then went on to Wellfleet the next day, where we stayed in a marina. On the way back down, we spent nights in Annisquam, then Plymouth, then went through the canal to Hadley's Harbor near Woods Hole. All the places we went were pretty great, to be honest, but watch out for jerks and giant wakes in the canal. How far up are you going?
I was going to go to BI then Cuttyhunk, then woods Hole.

From there the Canal and see about getting to Maine
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 21:00   #24

Boat: Allures 44
Jimbo,

Do you have any preferences - natural beauty, historical, cultural?
A varied list might include Cuttyhunk, Provincetown, Boston Harbor (anchor outer islands and ride the ferries), Rockport, Isle of Shoals, Portland... after that you don't need recommendations, you just need time and fair weather. Get the Taft guide for Maine.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:17   #25

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
I was going to go to BI then Cuttyhunk, then woods Hole.

From there the Canal and see about getting to Maine
Time your visits to BI and Cuttyhunk for weekdays, and not during 4th of July week. Way too crowded. But they are both great stops and you should go.

There are lots of other great stops in those areas to explore, including the RI coast, Westport MA and eastern LI shore between the forks. If you haven't explored the harbors around the Gardener's Bay area you're missing a sailor's paradise close to home. Great day-sailing in the bay and pick a different harbor each night.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:26   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
One alternative might be to sail as far as Baddeck or Sydney and leave the boat for the winter. You could go up through the Bras d Or, leave her, then the next year finish the loop around Cape Brenton Island coming back through the locks at Canso. On the way back I would consider stopping into St John, NB (NOT NL) and doing the St. John river. It is navigable as far as Moncton.

In fact, you could make it a three year transit.
1 - NYC to Halifax
2 - circumnavigate Cape Brenton and do the Bras d' Or.
3 - Halifax to NYC via St. John River.

I bought a boat in Shelbourne, NS
1 - Shelbourne to Sydney
2 - Sydney to St Pierre and back
3 - Sydney to Lewisport, NL
4 - Lewisport to Bonavista, NL where I have been since.

But, I had arranged to have 5 weeks unpaid leave each year and was taking 6 weeks for each leg. Having a boat in a distant port means that you are in a mad rush to get her in the water and don't have weekends and nights to prep her.

I am struggling with what to do next.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
One alternative might be to sail as far as Baddeck or Sydney and leave the boat for the winter. You could go up through the Bras d Or, leave her, then the next year finish the loop around Cape Brenton Island coming back through the locks at Canso. On the way back I would consider stopping into St John, NB (NOT NL) and doing the St. John river. It is navigable as far as Moncton s/b Fredericton.

In fact, you could make it a three year transit.
1 - NYC to Halifax
2 - circumnavigate Cape Brenton and do the Bras d' Or.
3 - Halifax to NYC via St. John River.

I bought a boat in Shelbourne, NS
1 - Shelbourne to Sydney
2 - Sydney to St Pierre and back
3 - Sydney to Lewisport, NL
4 - Lewisport to Bonavista, NL where I have been since.

But, I had arranged to have 5 weeks unpaid leave each year and was taking 6 weeks for each leg. Having a boat in a distant port means that you are in a mad rush to get her in the water and don't have weekends and nights to prep her.

I am struggling with what to do next.
Note- The St. John River is navigable as far as Fredericton (which is much prettier than Moncton!).
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Depths

What are the depths of the St. Johns?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:53   #29

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
If you were to go thru the Cape Cod canal heading north not wanting to sail overnight, what stops would anyone suggest sailing about 6-10 hours at a clip.
Plymouth -- Bit of a long trip into the harbor and not quite as far as you'd like, but, if you haven't been, it can be a good leg starting at the west end of the CCC and a nice destination to put in the log.

Scituate -- Good length leg from CCC. Easy access harbor and eating/provisioning easy walking distance from shore.

Boston Harbor Islands -- As noted, lots of anchorages and a few moorings. Wind direction will define the best place for an overnight. Spectacle Island has limited slips and is an amazing renovation of a dump and horse "rendering" plant.

Gloucester/Rockport -- Common stopover. Gloucester is a working harbor. I haven't stayed. Don't go through the Blynham Canal on the Annisquam River.

Isles of Shoals -- Beautiful offshore islands. Moorings are at a premium on weekends and anchorage is limited.

We typically jump offshore heading north and cut off southern Maine by jumping to Isles of Shoals so I'll leave it to others to continue your gunkhole north.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 16:42   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
What are the depths of the St. Johns?

Chris
Not sure if your answer is here but it is worth a read in any case.

Cruising the 'Rhine of North America' - St. John River, New Brunswick | Canada
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc