Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 20:25   #16

Did this route twice, once in April, returned in August. Nice, quiet, you will see lots of wild life. Beats the heck out of the ICW south of Lake Worth that's for sure! We are currently on the west coast and headed back to the Keys later this week. We like the pace and people on this coast, feels more laid back than the east coast.

Enjoy your trip and make sure to check the water levels out online, I heard recently that they are on a limited opening schedule with the locks due to critically low water.
Dexter&Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 15:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We're currently headed down the East Coast. Be sure to realize that it's easy to cruise down the Eadt Coast and remain casual, There are anchorages that are easy, without crowding, at West Palm, Pelican Harbor, Fort Lauderdale and Miami without encountering any difficulties.
Old 19-01-2011, 08:27   #18

Boat: Baba 30
We did end up going thru the Okeechobee and really enjoyed it. Rarely saw another boat. Really peaceful. We also did the straight run from Fort Myers to Key West. It was a good trip and we actually got to sail. A little rough coming in with the chop but not the worst we've seen. Still in Key West I heard a lot of negative things about KW. We really love it here, it's all how you chose to experience it I suppose. Thank you for all the comments and if you want to follow our little blog its at Sail Logs | Sailors don't blog, they log.
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 08:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiper204 View Post
We did end up going thru the Okeechobee and really enjoyed it. Rarely saw another boat. Really peaceful. We also did the straight run from Fort Myers to Key West. It was a good trip and we actually got to sail. A little rough coming in with the chop but not the worst we've seen. Still in Key West I heard a lot of negative things about KW. We really love it here, it's all how you chose to experience it I suppose. Thank you for all the comments and if you want to follow our little blog its at Sail Logs | Sailors don't blog, they log.
How long did your run from Ft myers to Key west take you? Was it a pain dodging crab pots the whole way ?
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 12:20   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiper204 View Post
Happy to hear you had a good trip through the Okeechobee. I thought you would enjoy it.

Same for Key West. You can see it as an overcrowded, spoiled, tourist trap or appreciate the unique charm that the town has to offer, if you look for it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 06:57   #21

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Hey Kiper, sounds fun! I came through there this past summer delivering my new boat to NC. Glad you're having a good trip, attitude is everything!

c.s.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 07:31   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Just transited Lake O yesterday. 45' air and 5'3" water drafts.... No problems! Reported lake navigational depth was 6'3"
Old 24-01-2011, 13:50   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
How long did your run from Ft myers to Key west take you? Was it a pain dodging crab pots the whole way ?
'just a comment about the crab traps. Traps are not permitted within the boundries of the Everglades National Park. It's easy to run just inside the park boundries and not worry about the traps. We follow this route and, with our shoal draft, take the route by Schooner Bank and Yacht Channel to the area of Long Key and Lower Matecumbe. Of course this is not the direct route to Key West, but under the 65' fixed bridge leads you to Hawk's Channel and an easy run to Key West. If you poke about, like us, with a shoal draft, this might be your choice too!
Old 24-01-2011, 14:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
'just a comment about the crab traps. Traps are not permitted within the boundries of the Everglades National Park. It's easy to run just inside the park boundries and not worry about the traps. We follow this route and, with our shoal draft, take the route by Schooner Bank and Yacht Channel to the area of Long Key and Lower Matecumbe. Of course this is not the direct route to Key West, but under the 65' fixed bridge leads you to Hawk's Channel and an easy run to Key West. If you poke about, like us, with a shoal draft, this might be your choice too!
Alas I draft 5'6 and I hate crab pots so much !
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote