Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 08:29   #1

Ocean City, MD?

Our plan is to go outside from NYC and do the two day run straight to Virginia Beach If we can get a weather window.

I'm familiar with the Jersey Shore and I know where to stop in there if we want to head in, but the Delmarva peninsula looks a little bleak for sailboats. Anyone ever stop in Ocean City, MD?
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:32   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Ocean City, MD?

Yes, I've been there with 5.5' draft. Did you have a specific question about OC? Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:39   #3

Sorry I guess I don't really have a specific question... but I'm mostly wondering about tidal currents in the inlet and anchorages inside. Assateague Island looks like a nice anchorage and if we want to put into a marina Sunset Marina has good reviews on AC.

Some of the NJ inlets can be gnarly in a sailboat when the currents run and I'm reading the same about some of these on the Delmarva. It looks like mostly a powerboat kind of a place, like most of the spots on the NJ shore.
Old 27-06-2017, 08:43   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

OC can break brutally in even moderate on-shore conditions. It is not a safe bail-out. In fair weather it has some current, but not bad unless you are right at the ebb. Watch the markers closely and it is OK.

Cape May, NJ is nice, but you can't clear the canal side, so you'll have to contend with the ocean entrance, which is good but occasionally rough. Cape May is all-weather if you can use the Bay side (the canal is sometimes used as refuge--same with Lewis, DE).

Chincoteague is good at high tide (check with the CG--they are in Chincoteague and are very responsive). It never breaks, despite the scary looking chart (I've been in through 10-foot swell, and it was casual--it just slowly dissipates), but I'm not sure about the draft, though some large trawlers call it home. Dock at the town dock bulkhead. Do NOT try to get between the pilings when the tide is running.

Otherwise it is all shoal draft stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149SB2CI
Old 27-06-2017, 08:54   #5

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Well we went through in good conditions and the current was not an issue, but as I recall the breakwater was not substantial and I suspect that (like most inlets) an onshore breeze of any significance would have you sweating it.

We didn't anchor, we went to Sunset Marina because we needed fuel and ice and a shower (long story) where, pertinent to your comment about power boats, we were referred to on the VHF as "THE sailboat." Nonetheless, a good marina, at least at that time (6 years ago).

We also had a bit of a problem with people fishing in the inlet, even anchored, and they didn't feel obligated to move, it made navigation a little difficult.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:55   #6

Awesome. Thanks thinwater. Yeah Lewes, DE actually looks like a beautiful anchorage inside that breakwater.

Actually I just did the Cape May canal a few weeks ago on my way up to NYC from the Chesapeake. That bridge is no problem in this ketch rig...
Old 27-06-2017, 08:59   #7

Hahah thanks Pete. I know what you mean... I've been the only stick in the house several times along the NJ shore.
Old 27-06-2017, 09:17   #8

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Not sure when you are planning to leave, but I would guess you would plan on about 35 hrs between the verizano narrows and the entrance to OC MD. It's about 155 mi. You would want to leave NYC to arrive before the flood tide starts. For me, I find it more pleasant to stop at Cape May. It's only 45 miles out of OC MD , a departure fro NYC during the ebb at cape may will give you a flood tide entry to Cape May with some "wiggle" time. The extra 8 or 9 hrs and the amount of ship traffic coming in and out of Chesapeake bay encourages me to stop at Cape May. I would be hesitant to cross the entrance to the Chesapeake in the dark with a tired crew, but then I also avoid entering new harbors in the dark if possible.
Old 27-06-2017, 09:29   #9

Thanks pesarsten. I don't like arriving in the dark either. And good point about not transiting the Chesapeake entrance in the dark. Something to consider. I certainly don't like transiting the Ambrose channel up here in the dark.