Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2022, 22:57   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Question NYC to BVIs in November 2022

Hi guys!

I'm looking to take my Jeanneau SO409 to the BVIs this October/November.

I have a couple of months ahead of me to plan it out.

I may have 1 or 2 crew.

I have the Vesper AIS installed recently.

I have ordered custom weather planning and departure planning by https://www.mwxc.com/

I have Garmin inReach subscription and the Predict Wind Iridium GO! by https://www.predictwind.com/iridium-go/

What thoughts do you guys have?

I did St. Croix (basically south of the BVIs) to Florida and Florida to NJ a few years ago. Now, I'm looking to do NJ (basically NYC) back to BVIs but direct.

Should I stop by Bermuda or is it all weather dependent? Should I shoot straight Southeast or go East first and then South?

Thanks for all input!!!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:36   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: NYC to BVIs in November 2022

I have never sailed directly to the BVIs, however I just came back from Bimini (not by boat, unfortunately). The issue is going to be wind direction. The accepted route is to Bermuda, then south due to the easterlies as you go south. If you go directly Southeast, you'll likely be hard on the wind for the trip instead of reaching because the trade winds are coming from 90 degrees (due East).

The winds were steady 15 knots with 4 foot seas for the week I was there. Your boat can more than handle that. It's a matter of comfort for the crew beating into that for 10-14 days if you go directly.

Someone with real world experience will comment, I'm sure.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:59   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've done this trip a couple of times, although I started the offshore part in the Chesapeake. I usually use Chris, as I've got an SSB on board. While the usual route is to make as much easting as possible, I've never made it to Bermuda on those runs, I was always too far west to make it worthwhile.
I just participated in the Newport-Bermuda race and got to visit Bermuda for the first time. It is very nice, sort of like a balmy Switzerland with prices to match. Unless you really want to visit it might be best to sail on by.

I think if you tell Chris your trip parameters (maximum waves/winds, preferences regarding Bermuda, etc.) then he has the experience and expertise to give you an optimal route.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:24   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49
NYC to BVIs in November 2022

I have been planning to do this trip as well but not this year. In my research I came across this article which I highly recommend. The author, Donald Street, advocates reasonably that Bermuda is a bail out option for unexpected bad WX but otherwise best to avoid.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/sa...orget-bermuda/
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 18:58   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I think if you tell Chris your trip parameters (maximum waves/winds, preferences regarding Bermuda, etc.) then he has the experience and expertise to give you an optimal route.
Couldn't agree more. I've been in touch with Chris and already prepaid the passage requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student_Driver View Post
I have been planning to do this trip as well but not this year. In my research I came across this article which I highly recommend. The author, Donald Street, advocates reasonably that Bermuda is a bail out option for unexpected bad WX but otherwise best to avoid.
Will do. Thank you so much!! Great link!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 17:58   #6

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

I have sailed this route and the way I do it is. Sail from NYC to Norfolk.
Then wait for your weather window. I understand you will be using Chris for weather.
Do not try crossing the GS with a northerly wind.
When you get your window sail down south towards Cap Hateras then turn east.
Go east...always east. They say sail east until the butter melts.
Chriss will tell you when to go south or not.
Usually if the weather holds you sail about 300 miles south of Bermuda.
Bermuda is a good refuge if you are going to get hit by a front.
Then sail south east until the tides kick in. You probably hit a no wind zone before that. Have lots of fuel.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 18:14   #7

It's best to sail to Bermuda with a good weather window and wait for the next favorable window to drop south. It's not possible to get a long enough window to make it to the Caribbean from the East Coast. We've done it both ways and won't sail direct to the Caribbean from the East Coast again.

Good luck and have fun. We're going to miss the East Coast to Caribbean jump this year, it's a great time.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, nyc