Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2022, 08:00   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Novice sailors - the hell with it and just head East to the Bahamas??

Title is a little click baity but not too far from the truth. Long story short, my Dad passed away and March may be our last chance for adventure with his Beneteau 42. In the past year I've gotten all motor maintenance back to current and sails and rigging are brand new. There are a ton of things still on the to do list but as I look at them I think that if I wait for this boat to be perfect I am never going to leave port.

Skill wise I've made the crossing many times via power boat but never as captain. Sailing wise I've taken this boat out solo a handful of times and haven't had serious injury to life or property. I am also reasonable skilled at sailing my Hobie 16. I'm also pretty familiar with the boat since the past 12 years my Dad has had it.

I look at the calendar and it looks like mid March could be my last best shot at taking it to the Bahamas. Nothing crazy, just crossing from Lake Worth and spending 4-5 days at Old Bahama Bay. If I am feeling really aggressive I would love to head to Walkers given my Dad's history with the place.

Armed with the explorer charts, towboat US and a decent weather window.....what's the worst that could happen?! Got to start somewhere right?
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:07   #2

Re: Novice sailors - the hell with it and just head East to the Bahamas??

You can always do some local sailing first.

Can even take someone more experienced with you.

The boat is probably fine for short trips. Gotta get the crew up to snuff.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 12:35   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We have met quite a few people here in the Bahamas that crossed with less experience and less knowledge of their boat.
I recommend finding a good weather window, and getting over here. Then on the first night have a sundowner in honor of your father.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 13:31   #4

You already know you're going to do it. Just go for it.
seto_beril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 13:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We have met quite a few people here in the Bahamas that crossed with less experience and less knowledge of their boat.

I recommend finding a good weather window and getting over here.

Then on the first night, have a sundowner in honor of your father.
+1

Love this!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 17:09   #6

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I've crossed when the conditions were absolutely humbling, and I've crossed when it was like glass. If you don't mind motoring across and waiting to sail until you get there, just be patient and pick a good weather window, start plenty south (not further north than Lauderdale for West End or Biscayne Channel for Bimini), and you'll be there before you know it. If you want to sail across things get trickier with the no go zone, prevailing southeasterlies, and the north flowing current. You can get in a lot of trouble, especially in the winter. Be patient, pick a good window, pick a good course. That's it really! Have fun. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 17:25   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you think you're ready to skipper the boat, above and beyond caretaking it, what are the downsides to doing that? Did your dad leave you the boat in his will? If you intend keeping it for a while, AND you think you are ready to take on the responsibility for boat and crew, then, definitely, enjoy the boat a bit. But, if it is to be sold on, then, perhaps, not.

The worst possible risk is loss of your life and the boat. That would not only be a down side for you, but for whoever loves you. With the death of your Dad, some of them are probably family, and I could imagine your denying yourself the pleasure of going to the Bahamas this year, if it would greatly distress them.

If you have dependent children, then, again, you may decide you're not ready yet.

See, it seems like a simple question, but there are layers of complexity.

Ann
Old 17-02-2022, 17:36   #8

You’ll be fine - BUT…

It would be a big mistake to leave from Lake Worth. The Gulf Stream will push you too far north.

Go south to Ft. Lauderdale. Then wait for a perfect weather forecast. West, SW, South or SE wind. 15kt or less.

Don’t get impatient. Wait for the weather window. Might be a week.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 18:07   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Years ago, we crossed three times with our Cal 2-27 from Hillsboro Inlet to West End (Old Bahama Bay) on our way to Regatta Time in Abaco. We always departed around 0400 and arrived late afternoon. Good weather is what you want in order to enjoy your adventure. Hillsboro Inlet has an anchorage just inside the jetties. Locals refer to it as "Chicken Bay". Good holding and a great place to stage your crossing.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 21:05   #10

Like others are saying, go a bit south and then cross. If you need to wait for good weather then keep moving south. Leaving from Miami makes it easy. Don’t don’t don’t cross with any stiff winds from the north west or north or north east. Any wind from the north hit the north flowing current and makes the waves real steep.

Strong winds from the south east, south or west will increase the swell but won’t generally create confused water.

Crossing over night is nice as you’ll arrive in the morning for check-in. It’s about 12 hours from Miami to Bimini.

Being low on experience, try and be conservative with the risks you knowingly take.

Have fun! Send some pics!
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 04:42   #11

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
You’ll be fine - BUT…

It would be a big mistake to leave from Lake Worth. The Gulf Stream will push you too far north.

Go south to Ft. Lauderdale. Then wait for a perfect weather forecast. West, SW, South or SE wind. 15kt or less.

Don’t get impatient. Wait for the weather window. Might be a week.
Wow, I've made a big mistake 3 years in a row! Lake Worth once to great harbour, and twice Lake Worth to west end.
Going to west end was 9 hours. Please explain how spending another full day going south would have got me to the Bahamas safer or easier or faster???
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 05:08   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Back before GPS, most folk left the US around 6pm in the evening so as to arrive on the banks the next morning...
These days with GPS, you can leave at 6 am in the morning and arrive at 6 pm or later..

I've done this crossing at least 50 times. March is likely to be a tad iffy with late season fronts still rolling thru'. Prior to a front, wind will swing to the SW, really an optimum time to cross, as you can sail across instead of motoring across. Timing is everything. Start monitoring the weather a week in advance.
Later in the year, crossing is a piece of cake, winds usually always out of the SE, maybe 10-25 knots.

Leaving from WPB there are usually several other boats wanted to cross over, so buddy boating is quite possible.

Leaving from WPB most boats clear in at West End, but this requires doing a lot of battle with the Gulf Stream. It is much easier to cross just south of Memory Rock, and check in at Green Turtle or elsewhere.

Overall, it's a pretty straightforward trip. Make sure your boat has all the relative safety gear.

If you are a bit nervous, simple cross over with another boat, many boats do this.

Not much going on at Walkers these days. Last I heard, there was a caretaker living there, but little else. I see little point in making this a destination.

You're not giving yourself much time to enjoy the B'mas. I would suggest at least one month. Remember, you still have to come back.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 05:09   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

meant to say 10-15 knots....not 10-25...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 05:12   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
.,,. Hillsboro Inlet has an anchorage just inside the jetties. Locals refer to it as "Chicken Bay". Good holding and a great place to stage your crossing.

Hills anchorage chaotic. Done it a few overnites, feel very fortunate to get out unscathed. Between the tidal currents and close, unmanned boats, and fishing boat traffic, dont expect to get sleep here.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 06:17   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

excellent advice provided on how when and possible routes.
as for the cheerleaders, "go for", the downside is, they will not be there with you when the sh...t hits the fan!!!
Like always, the answer is within yourself.
good luck on whatever you decided.
PS
is not true this may be your last chance, the sun always rises every day, never failed!!!

Sayonara
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, head, novice, sail