Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2022, 12:15   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Nova scotia winter boat storage ashore.

Hi,

Does anyone have recommendations to store 41ft, 17tonne (Hans Christian),sail boat ashore in Nova Scotia this coming winter?

I have been looking, at Halifax area but you cannot beat local knowledge !

Thanks in advance.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 13:24   #2

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion
Re: Nova scotia winter boat storage ashore.

East River Shipyard is a big full service yard in Mahone Bay. Also in Mahone Bay is South Shore Marine and Gold River Marine.

In Halifax there are at least three clubs that offer transient winter storage - Armdale, Dartmouth, and RNSYS.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 19:20   #3

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Jeff F has it about right.

I’m a member at Dartmouth YC; and usually stay in the water there for winters. Their gear is all relatively new, strong and reliable. Power is available year round if you want it. Good yard crew, they know their stuff. Travel lift is old but well maintained, and lifts several 25+ ton boats twice a year.

Location is great for boat work- you’re at the foot of the biggest industrial supply park east of Montreal; and easy drives to airport and to downtown; but the best chandler (the Binnacle) is about a 15 min drive away.

Armdale YC and RNSYS are both excellent clubs, but use a marine railway and a hydraulic trailer instead of a travel lift. Slightly less convenient, but they manage.

Cost of storage will be similar at AYC and Dartmouth; and a bit higher at RNSYS (it’s the Royal, you know).

Feel free to pm me if you want more local knowledge. I live and work about 800m from the rnsys.

Bg
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 03:17   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Thank you for the ideas, I am in contact with some of the places you suggested….
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 15:13   #5

I am also a member at DYC. Great yard staff, similiar costs to store boats for winter. In water storage is available but they do cut the marina power at some point during thee winter. Water and power available all year long in the yard and you can work on your boat at any time. Yard entry by card, good security and cctv all around the yard. Great new club house as well. Yes, a bit in favour of DYC but before I purchased my boat I looked at all the clubs in Halifax and decided because of facilites and costs that DYC was the best. I have not been disappointed.

https://www.dartmouthyachtclub.ca/

Tags
boat, nova scotia, storage, winter