Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 00:52   #1

Boat: C. E. Ryder, Southern Cross 28
Nova Scotia

I just want to make it there from new york in like 6-7days. Am i dreaming? 3 week vacation ! 2 weeks at sea 1 week on land-ish!

Who knows about clearing customs there?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Subway Sailor is on YouTube
Old 15-05-2015, 02:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Nova Scotia

It's possible in theory, as long as wind, weather and mechanics cooperate. If they don't you might not make it home by your deadline or end up parking your boat at a marina somewhere in between.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 03:38   #3

Didn't anybody warn you that schedules and boats don't mix?

3 week Nova Scotia cruise probably fine as long as you can allow for a four week trip. Worrying about the fact that you can't get home in time to make commitments can really mess up a whole vacation.

Plenty to do closer to home. LI Sound, Block Island, Narragansett Bay, Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Buzzards Bay, Nantucket should keep you plenty busy for three weeks and you haven't even gotten to the other side of Cape Cod.

If you have a lady involved my guess is she will have more fun at a leisurely pace than sailing in bad weather because you "have to get there!!!"

Also, new to you boat. Prolly should get to know her and how she handles before setting big goals.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 16:13   #4

Boat: Little Harbor 38

You can do it. 3 to 4 days to Shelburne from Long Island Sound weather dependent. 3 to 4 days return from there. That gives you about two weeks of cruising. Customs is easy, just Google it. We spent two months there a year ago and wished we had more time. Don't get over ambitious and try to see the whole Eastern Shore. Next time we do it we will spend one summer Shelburne to Halifax and another summer Halifax to Cape Brenton. You could make Mahone Bay your northern most point.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:15   #5

Says the guy with a 31 foot waterline and 740 square feet of sail area to the guy with a 20 foot waterline and 415 square feet of sail area "You can do it. 3 to 4 days"
Old 16-05-2015, 18:10   #6

Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Says the guy with a 31 foot waterline and 740 square feet of sail area to the guy with a 20 foot waterline and 415 square feet of sail area "You can do it. 3 to 4 days"

Lol i agree!

But if he has that much experience doing this why not share instead of making me google what i came here to find?

Old 16-05-2015, 18:26   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have a 44' boat with something like 37' waterline.

Delaware City (N end of C&D canal) to Shelborne in 7 days.

Shelborne to Marblehead in about 44 hours. About 54 hours IIFC in the 33', 29 waterline boat. Motored on the 44, no wind. Motor sailed on the 33, on the nose.

Worst that could happen is you leave the boat in Shelborne for the winter. Not sure about current Canadian regs for that. It has changed in the last couple of years.

Customs IS easy, get one of the cruising guides, you need it anyway.

http://www.puffin-press.com

Just don't go the wrong side of McNutts island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	102224  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 18:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

From the above link.

Quote:

2013 -- Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents: As of the fall of 2013, the Canadian Government begun to enforce limits on how long and under what conditions one may keep a non-Canadian boat in Canada. A visiting foreign yacht is welcome in Canada for one sailing season. Beyond that, one may winter-over one’s boat in a Canadian storage and repair facility, but must plan that the total stay cannot exceed twelve months. This is a significant change for those who have enjoyed Canadian hospitality and services over multiple seasons. Be aware that beyond twelve months taxes and customs duties start to kick in. Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) or, in the case of provinces and territories without the HST, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) may be due. In addition, if the vessel was built in other than a NAFTA jurisdiction (regardless of the flag on the vessel) a customs duty of up to 9.5% of the value of the vessel (as determined by the government of Canada) may be due. One must plan accordingly. Go to Travellers - Temporary Importation and Retention of Foreign Vessels in Canada by Non-residents for a full discussion.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 18:51   #9

Quote:
Good point! I haven't done the trip on a sailboat but I used to do a trip in the 90's on a chemical tanker with a crew of 14 capable of sustaining 16 knots 24 hours a day and we were a couple of days from Dartmouth Nova Scotia to St John New Brunswick. Now I realise this is a totally different trip then an open water transit from New York to I'm not exactly sure where on Nova Scotia (big place). But 3 or 4 days sounds like pretty aggressive sailing for a beginner in a 28' boat.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 19:11   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Delancey is right on this in all respects. The worst thing you can do to yourself on a sailboat is to inflict a schedule. Add to that the small boat factor and possible N Atlantic bad weather. You could easily wind up waiting for a weather opportunity to get home.

BTW, We are 58 feet with 45 WL and I would not plan this for 3 weeks. Even if you had good weather both ways, Its a long haul for a short stay. Save this for when you can stay a while.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 23:19   #11

Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Good point! I haven't done the trip on a sailboat but I used to do a trip in the 90's on a chemical tanker with a crew of 14 capable of sustaining 16 knots 24 hours a day and we were a couple of days from Dartmouth Nova Scotia to St John New Brunswick. Now I realise this is a totally different trip then an open water transit from New York to I'm not exactly sure where on Nova Scotia (big place). But 3 or 4 days sounds like pretty aggressive sailing for a beginner in a 28' boat.

Beginner...this is my 3rd boat..

i just have never gone to Canada and wanted to know general experiences from the crowd. Tips, recommendations, ideas or suggestions are what this forum of wonderful sailors grants me.

I plan to sail hard and use my monitor to get me along quickly. I just hoped that someone would have shared some sort of surprise they experienced.

Old 16-05-2015, 23:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Sailor View Post
Beginner...this is my 3rd boat..

i just have never gone to Canada and wanted to know general experiences from the crowd. Tips, recommendations, ideas or suggestions are what this forum of wonderful sailors grants me.

I plan to sail hard and use my monitor to get me along quickly. I just hoped that someone would have shared some sort of surprise they experienced.

My apologies, I didn't realise it was your third boat.

I'm sure you own a parallel ruler, set of dividers and know your hull speed. Measure the distance, divide by hull speed and you will have your time.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 01:31   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Or plan on 100 nm per day!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 04:27   #14

Well, if there's no lady involved and you're gearing up for something bigger, I say go for it as long it won't ruin your day if you end up having to leave the boat somewhere and go back and get it later.

One question, did the boat come equipped with the wind vane or did you install it?
Old 17-05-2015, 06:34   #15

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:

Got me there! How big is his boat anyway? He should have an idea of his average boat speed.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nova scotia