Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 10:18   #16

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Re: North from the Bahamas

I have a Pearson 36 cutter, but I draw 5.5 feet, whereas I believe you have a centerboard. Last time I came from Memory Rock, I went to Fort Pierce, and it took me 13 hours in excellent sailing weather. Canaveral is about 60 miles north of Ft Pierce, so that's probably a stretch for you. Also, I anchored on the Bank the night before crossing, about 7.3 miles SE of Memory Rock, so if you are in a somewhat protected anchorage like Mangrove Cay, it will take you an extra two hours or so. Coming into Ft Pierce at night is no big deal, but my preference would be to leave early off the Bank. I left at 3:30AM. Be careful going into inlets that are not maintained for commercial traffic, and in the part of Florida you're looking at, that's West Palm, Fort Pierce, and Canaveral.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:55   #17

Boat: Freedom 32

Fort Pierce is my only experience for entering the ICW from the Bahamas. I think it is newbie safest. Before that why not practice some nights sails in familiar waters where you are? Just leave your port sailing a comfortable reach then return the same way. Several nights of that makes you experienced at basic night sailing. 👌
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:13   #18

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
Morning folks,

I've seen a lot of threads about people heading to the Bahamas lately, but I'm curious about the opposite path. I bought a Pearson 35 in Marsh Harbour in February, and I'd like to take her up to the Chesapeake in June. I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I'm not ready to do any overnight passages quite yet.

Questions I've got:

We'll be heading to Florida from Memory Rock/West End. What's generally the best place to aim for on the Florida coast to make an easy entrance to a decent anchorage? I've heard St. Lucie can be challenging the first time.

Heading north, I'd like to balance speed with safety. Assuming good weather, how easy is it to go outside the ICW during the day, up the coast, and duck back inside for overnight anchoring? My mast is only 50', but I'd still like to avoid the bridges in Florida as much as possible.

What's currently considered the best guide for the passage? I've seen quite a few ICW guides on Amazon, but a lot of them seem a bit dated.
Many of Florida's bascule bridges no longer open on demand, but three times an hour- on the hour, twenty after, and forty after. This change was in response to motorists' claims that the bridges were being opened too often, and causing traffic delays. It's not a great situation, as masted vessels needing an opening can sometimes find themselves trying to tread water in the narrow channel before the bridge with skinny water on either side, a rapid tidal current, and power boats speeding past them. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid long legs of Florida ICW with many bridges; absent the ability to sail overnight, the trips in and out of the ICW for safe harbors will use up a lot of time.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:24   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Man, that is a bit of a pickle for you. I am speaking of a newly acquired boat in the Bahamas and now leaving for an extended time away for a new job. Just me speaking...but that would be a big deal. Buying a boat is one thing. Selling it is a whole different animal. That could be an expensive proposition. I hope u got a great deal on your new boat.

You don't mention what kind of electronics are in the boat. Do you have just a basic radio and gps? What kind of charts does the boat have? Most boats you buy have something left on board from the vacating skipper... unless he absconded with them if he jumped to another boat. I cherish mine and consider them "dear friends".

You don't mention your level of navigation experience. Nothing wrong with being a novice. June is beginning of hurricane season but it is pretty uncommon to get one that time of the year. But, dang, June is already getting steamy in Florida. You really need 2-3 people on board if going outside for watch standing. Guys do it singlehanded all the time. But they take their chances and accept their liabilities.

Wish u luck. It isnt that hard... but it is good common sense to worry about self preservation. The local skippers in the marina can give you advice ... throw in a couple of cold beers. Can even get guys who give you weather routing advice for a fee. Good luck sir.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:45   #20

Yeah, selling the boat is a tough one..luckily I got a pretty good deal on it..only 15k, for a 1975 Pearson 35. I've put about 4k into upgrades of the electronics, spares, etc...not too bad, but a bit of a bummer. If I break even on the selling price, I'll consider the upgrades a fair price for the "rental" of a boat for the summer.

Thanks to everyone for the advice..it's really appreciated! Most of the ICW trip may be singlehanded, but I'll have my wife and another friend join me for the gulf stream crossing. She'll have to head back to the Bahamas for her job while I'm in training in DC.

After studying some charts based on all the advice, I think Ft. Pierce will be our initial destination. From there, I'll see what happens next..looking forward to the adventure one way or another!
theglobalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:47   #21
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

You said "maximize enjoyment..."
You know your time.
Offshore will be fun; ICW not so much. Get helper; not that hard to run offshore. Things happen slowly at 7 knots. You will be offshore in the gulfstream. Pick a place to go in, Beaufort NC or Norfolk. 50 mi a day or less on the ICW will wear you out. Have fun. Sell the boat with an Annapolis area broker. Go to new job.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52   #22

Boat: Nauticat 32

I say go for it. Take the boat across to Ft. Pierce and get moving up the ditch. Lots to see. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance that you’ll never want to do again. Great places along the way, like St Augustine, Beaufort, Oriental, and the Dismal Swamp. You can go all the way up the Patomac to DC, although you’ll probably want to drop the boat at a brokerage somewhere after Norfolk.

I agree on Skipper Bob’s - a great resource for planning anchorages to stop in along the way. You get so you’ll never want to stop at a marina anywhere, although there are some great ones. I went down the ditch once. Once was probably enough, but what an experience!!!
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 13:39   #23

Have you considered selling the boat in FL?

The Pearson 35 is a popular cruising model for South Florida and the Bahamas.

You could bring her over, try to sell her on your own and day sail until it is time to sell.

If not sold in time then maybe haul her out at a hurricane secure location like Indiantown Marina when you leave and let the broker sell her there.

Indiantown Marina - Home

Edited to ask if it is Diesel or Atomic 4?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 14:02   #24

Ft. Pierce is the only logical inlet if you are leaving from Memory Rock area but note that the ebb currents can be around 4 knots at max ebb and this leads to dangerous standing waves. Be sure to check the current tables to ensure you are arriving on the flood side of slack water.

As far as bridges in Florida are concerned, most of the ICW bridges are south of Ft. Pierce. There are 8 bridges going North and only two have an opening schedule, the rest are on request.

If the winds are favourable there are many miles where you can enjoy some sailing on this portion of the ICW.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 14:42   #25

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Last time I was heading north, I entered the U.S.. at Fort Pierce and sailed the next day outside to Canaveral. I've motored from Jacksonville to Canaveral a couple times and that's fairly straight froward down the ditch.

The outside and inside each have their advantages. North of Fort Pierce there's a fair bit of anchoring and not many bridges to content with, so you can maximize your distance before sunset. Then again, if it's a nice day to sail, why not get out and enjoy being on the ocean?
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 18:34   #26

Boat: 55 fleming

The best inlet is Ft. Pierce. 60KM a little to the NW anchor in thumb cove or one of the local marinas. Customs and Immigration are convenient. Port Canaveral is next but no convenient anchorage until west of the locks.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:30   #27

She's a diesel...Westerbeke 30B3.

Looks like Ft. Pierce it is...Depending on how much time I'm realistically going to have, I'll either list her in FL at Indiantown, or take her up to Annapolis. Taking her all the way up, even if mostly inside would be a blast...one of those "tick the box" experiences that seems like most people should experience once. It'll all depend on how much time I'll need for moving logistics. Gonna be an interesting couple of months for sure.
theglobalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:56   #28

Boat: Cataline 36 MKII

Another approach at deciding inside/outside for an older new-to-you boat.

Which do you trust more - the motor or the sails/rigging?

If the sails/rigging are untested, I'd go ICW.

If the engine is sketchy, I'd lean towards sailing up the GS.

On the other hand, if your engine acts up on the ICW, the consequences are fairly minimal - more of an inconvenience than a true danger.

Another consideration is your wife. I always plan my cruises so my wife will get maximum enjoyment so she's more likely to want to do more. Just my 2 cents on that. Your situation could be way different.
DennisRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:30   #29

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Our last return was from Great Sale originally headed to St. Mary's ( FL GA line) but ducked into Canaveral due to thunderstorms. I was surprised how much the GS helped. ST Mary's is an all weather inlet. You will be surprised how much more distance you can make on the outside with even 2 nights. Even if motoring, you can make many more miles on the outside than ICW. The downside is fewer customs offices you can clear into. Make that a consideration.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:03   #30

Ft Pierce should be a good destination. Give yourself a lot of time. As mentioned it can take quite a bit of time to go 60-70 miles. If I were you I would leave in the dark am and have plenty of cushion to avoid a nighttime arrival.
There's a little spot to anchor just on the ICW outside of Harbortown Marina, just South of the Causeway bridge. Or you can go to the Marina guest dock and call Customs from the marina if you need to.
There's also anchorage across from the City Marina a little further South, South of the entrance.... and further in that direction is an enclosed little bay surrounded by houses.
Unlike some others I enjoyed the ICW and had fun.
I love the bar/restaurant at Harbortown too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ANCHORFTPIERCE.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	169164  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas