Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 05:17   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Newport RI Regulations Report 2020

Newport RI is not a viable destination in 2020 if you’d like to use the anchorage. The rules from Tim, the harbor master are as follows:

1) All boats must quarantine aboard for 14 days and sea time doesn’t count.

2) Boats are limited to a 14 day stay in the anchorage.

So effectively, you are allowed 14 days to stay in Newport and you are not allowed to leave the boat. After that, you must leave Newport harbor.

I’d give Newport a big miss this year. It’s very unfortunate they didn’t consult with people like Tim who are actually working on the water when they made the ordinances up.

They’ve effectively banned anyone not paying for a dock or mooring from the town.

Edit: for those heading to Rhode Island to get a boat in storage there, you are in the clear. You can go to the marina, get launched, and leave the state without issue.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:25   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Newport RI Regulations Report 2020

From what your saying, you are implying that these rules aren't going to change until 2021?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:29   #3

I'll have to report back on how that goes. I have a friend making his way to Newport right now... Was in lockdown in Bahamas for a month.

Hmmm. Now that I think of it, I'll have to pass on the Harbourmaster's message to him.

Thanks for that, Chotu!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Timothy Mills - Harbormaster
(401) 845-5815
https://engagenewport.com/harbormaster/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:46   #5

Boat: Columbia 50

There’s moorings......slide over on day 15?

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Timothy Mills - Harbormaster
(401) 845-5815
https://engagenewport.com/harbormaster/
Gord,

You're a wonder, you know that?

Thank you. YET AGAIN.
Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 02-05-2020, 06:01   #7

My report is directly from Tim.

Why do so many people doubt my experiences with local harbor authorities on this forum? Same thing happened with the Covid in the water thread. I reported my experience with the local harbor authorities and people came on to try to disprove it.

This information is straight from Tim himself.

I’m done arguing with people about facts on this forum. I don’t encourage everyone reading this thread to bother him. He’s a nice guy. Don’t make more work for him.

I specifically posted the rules here to HELP him avoid having a bunch of people inundate him with work. He’s got enough going on already.

@Dulcesuenos I don’t know what will change in the future. This is the current policy. Get out your checkbook if you want to go to Newport because you’ll have to pay for a dock or mooring to do so. The anchorage is effectively closed.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Gord,

You're a wonder, you know that?

Thank you. YET AGAIN.
Warmly,
LittleWing77
I don’t think it was a good idea at all to put Tim’s information here.

He doesn’t need an influx of people, some of whom probably don’t even have a boat, calling him to disprove my report on the policy.

Exactly why I wouldn’t list the dive company that wouldn’t go in the water in the Hudson River.

The internet is a bad thing in these cases. I was trying to help Tim out since there is no published report of this policy on his website.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
There’s moorings......slide over on day 15?

Matt
Sure. You have to pay though. Anchorage is effectively closed.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don’t think it was a good idea at all to put Tim’s information here.

He doesn’t need an influx of people, some of whom probably don’t even have a boat, calling him to disprove my report on the policy.

I was trying to help Tim out since there is no published report of this policy on his website.
Sorry, Chotu... I feel like there's a disconnect here somewhere. I certainly did NOT question anything you had posted and in fact, I copied and pasted it directly into an email to my friend, Paul, the one who is en route. I'm very grateful for your heads-up. Perhaps I should have thanked and acknowledged your contribution initially. That was thoughtless on my part. Apologies - and belated thank you for making the effort to pass along helpful info. It is the whole point of this Forum after all - a value I know that you and I share.

My thank you to Gord was just because he'd enhanced your post with that extra bit of info - which, as you know, is just what Gord does. He's superlative at it. I didn't intend any disparagement towards you - neither inferred nor implied.

My own view diverges with yours in that I think it was useful for Gord to post Tim's contact details. I won't be contacting Tim, but it will be really useful for Paul, who is en route to Newport now and will need to get the scoop directly.

Hope this clears things up, Chotu, and hope you'll pardon any offense I may've caused
Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 02-05-2020, 08:11   #11

Those quarantine regulations make perfect sense if the public policy intent is to reduce non-essential travel and non-essential contacts so as to mitigate Covid-19.

Welcome to the new normal. Actually, you should be shocked it were otherwise.

Quarantine is a word derived from Italian, and it means forty days, the number of days a ship was required to stay an anchor and be disease free before being given free pratique and allowed to moor to land and disembark persons and cargo; Quaranta = Forty. Fourteen Days = Quattordici Giorni

Here in Montana, Phase 1 Coronavirus relaxed regulations are now invoked. The two biggest draws are Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks which ordinarily together have about 4+ million visitors in the summer months [Montana's population is 1,069,000], it appears they will open late this season and only limitedly, for example, RV and Tent campgrounds only, cabins which have their own restrooms, NO Lodges, takeout and pickup food only, no sit down dining, no tourist stores, no shared touring vehicles, social distancing at all overlooks and typical gathering areas.

And only essential travelers entering the State are allowed to not undergo 14 days of self-isolation [crawl into a hotel and stay in the room]. That will be customary protocol if one travels for non-essential purposes, which of course non-essential travel outside of your home you are not supposed to be doing anyway.

Stay At Home / Stay Near Home / Save Lives. That is what we should be practicing for the foreseeable future. This pandemic is only in its initial round.

Montana's official Pre-Covid Tourism Promotional Logo was: Get Lost in Montana.

The Covid tourist logo is now in essence, Get Lost! Don't Come to Montana. And it isn't that we don't love to have visitors enjoy The Last Best Place under The Big Sky; it is just not safe to have SARS-CoV-2 introduced and to cater towards having contact with potential vectors of the virus. A reality check: We might infect you and you could then infect others, we want you to be and remain safe and healthy. And the reciprocal as to ourselves remaining safe and healthy.

Montanans wish to protect everyone, including those that would otherwise be visitors by not renewing Pre-Covid-19 practices and promotion of discretionary travel. Discretionary travel is non-essential travel.

Discretionary, is derived from the word discrete, which means individually separate. Please be and remain discrete. Please do not invoke non-essential travel or contacts.

Godspeed to all.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
From what your saying, you are implying that these rules aren't going to change until 2021?
Or later.

The virus does not know a time schedule. Non-essential remains non-essential;

Limit your actions towards essential contacts only so as to limit the spread of the disease, all very basic, all very necessary.

Act as if you are the contagion and you could infect everyone you come into contact with. Don't be a Typhoid Mary, or a Covid Chuck.

"In the absence of federal domestic travel restrictions to stem the spread of the coronavirus, the governors of at least 40 states have stepped in issuing stay-at-home orders. And nearly 30 are discouraging interstate travel by announcing quarantine requirements or recommendations for travelers or people who live there traveling home from other states.

Alaska, Florida and Hawaii were the first states to institute state-to-state quarantine requirements for travelers, and many other states have followed suit.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a travel advisory on March 28 urging residents of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to curtail nonessential travel in order to help limit the spread of the coronavirus from the area that has become the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak. The agency noted on its website that it "does not generally issue advisories or restrictions for travel within the United States."
Old 02-05-2020, 08:42   #13

FYI:

Do remember to fly the Lima Signal Flag during your 14 day quarantine period. Free pratique is not being granted, so you should not be requesting such and you should NOT be signaling such request with the Q flag.

"Newport-area sentinels enforcing state coronavirus restrictions on boats, marinas"

"NEWPORT – The boating industry continues to operate in the state, but under strict COVID-19 related restrictions outlined by the state Department of Environmental Management as a result of an executive order by Gov. Gina Raimondo.

“Rhode Island municipalities are responsible for enforcing any quarantine order by the governor on vessels within their jurisdiction,” said Gail Mastrati, DEM spokesperson. “DEM does not have a role in this.”

Usually, it is up to city and town councils to appoint a “sentinel.” Under state of emergency powers, City Manager Joseph J. Nicholson Jr. appointed Harbormaster Tim Mills as Newport’s sentinel.

The crew and passengers in any boat coming from out-of-state must quarantine on the vessel here for 14 days and must wave a quarantine flag known as the “International Maritime Signal Flag L-Lima.”

For a ship docked in a harbor the flag means, “The ship is quarantined,” while at sea it says, “You should stop your vessel instantly,” according to online information."

Reference link:

http://https://www.newportri.com/new...-boats-marinas
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2020, 08:51   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

While the Newport anchorage may be closed to vessels arriving from other parts due to the 2-week restriction, you can arrive, pick up a rental mooring for 2 weeks, then, quarantine over, either remain on the mooring or go anchor for your 2-week limit. You can also quarantine at a dock--lotsa megayachts will be doing that at the shipyard. Some are there already doing that. There's no time limit on being at a mooring or dock, as long as your wallet can handle it. And who knows? with reduced traffic this year, it may be the cheapest time in two decades to find a slip.
BTW, last time I spoke with Tim Mills was at a Waterfront Commission meeting--he was definitely on the Commission then, so he's part of the decision process, and shares equal guilt with the other members for the 2-week anchoring restrictions.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:55   #15

Boat: Tayana FD-12

So you just go up the bay a bit, anchor for two weeks, then go anchor in newport.

In reality he is just using corona virus to weed out the ones not paying for a dock or a mooring. I really hope this season people skip newport. I'm sick of how overpriced unwelcoming and arrogant they have become in that town. All because they have a natural harbor with good holding, safe in all weather and everyone wants to go there. Too many entitled trust fund babies living of grandfathered moorings, club memberships docks, etc. etc. But this season, no folk or Jazz fest, no other festivities or large gatherings like concerts. In a way i am not sad one bit and i am a Rhode Islander.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport, regulations