Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2020, 06:43   #16

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: Newbies looking for buddy boats to Bahamas Dec/2020

As has been said above, it is a easy enough passage, this year will be our fifth crossing of the Gulf steam, and we are on a 29.9 feet LOA and 24 feet on the water line mono, we are likely leaving from Lake worth within the next two weeks ish weather window allowing, we will head toward and past Memory Rock and anchor overnight at Great sail key, then onto Green turtle key to check in. This is our preferred route as the majority of Easting is done before we get to Green turtle key, and there are ample spots to anchor for weather in the Abacos. Then we will work our way to Little Harbor and cross to Eleuthera then onto the Exumas, other than the jump to Great sail key, it’s all day trips all the way to George Town. We like this route because we get to explore the northern end of the Bahamas on our way south, Oh and travel when Mother Nature says it’s okay, (weather window) Make your first trip a happy one!

Fair winds,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 04:38   #17

Boat: 2015 Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockDoc View Post
AS long as the boat is in good condition, and you don't pick a "bad" window you'll be fine. Buddy boating is ok, but as others stated it's kind of a false sense of security.

I have made the trip there and back from Deltaville 3 times and once from Beaufort NC. I had very bad weather one time, puked my guts out for 18 hours even with a scopolamine patch on but the boat did fine. The other times we went when the conditions were 'fair' but far from perfect, it was a decent passage no one got sick. It's much easier in a Catamaran.
I love the Abacos, one of my favorite pics is me atop the lighthouse there with my boat anchored in the background. I was banned from going back by my insurance carrier after the hurricane, are you sure you're covered there?

Currently you need a RT-PCR covid negative test uploaded to the Bahamian website, get approved, and then there is a five-day window to get processed in the Bahamas. You'll have to negotiate this, and daily things seem to change. Because of this we threw in the towel on sailing this winter.

Navionics is all we ever used and served us flawlessly on our many trips. I do admit the explorer books are better for details.

Once in the Bahamas you'll be hard-pressed to find a bad spot, when God was done with Eden he must have rinsed his hands where the Bahamas are and all the remaining paradise that clung to them went into the ocean there.
We are allowed by insurance south of georgia (including bahamas) Nov.1 - July ?. I've already downloaded AquaMap on my iphone and have navionics on the boat. Watching the covid restrictions in Bahamas, and can't wait to look for that one "bad spot" in the Bahamas!
Thanks Doc!!
MerSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:50   #18

We are still looking for someone to start the journey with leaving from around Beaufort, NC. Really nervous about the first part of the trip since we want to sail outside the ICW during the day and anchor out or go to marinas at night. I'm doing my best to put together routes that last only 7-8 hours a day but then trying to figure out where to anchor at night will be difficult. Need to find our weather window first then see where the wind is coming from each day.

I'm feeling overwhelmed since my husband isn't a techie and isn't looking at any of the charts/maps/weather patterns/etc with me.

Would love any additional feedback, routes, anchoring locations, buddy boats for our trip down the coast.

Thanks a lot for all help!!!!!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:24   #19

MerSea,

My recommendation is to aim for 24 to 30 hour offshore runs. You will get south much faster. Maybe 3 to 5 hops to a suitable Florida harbor to stage your crossing from.

I realize the round the clock and night sailing may feel a little daunting. I encourage to give it a try on that first hop out of Beaufort, and then evaluate. It is ok to rest a couple days once you are anchor down.

This was a big step for us too, navigating around the clock with just two of us. But we found out we love traveling this way.

A major reason to do this is it results in covering significant miles when the weather is ideal. Ride out those nasty fronts in a sheltered harbor or nice marina. Then go again when the weather goes favorable in a few days.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:53   #20

Of keen issues as to scheduling short sail daylight hoping is that you will spend a great deal of the daytime, just exiting and entering inlets and ports and only a modest number of hours actually sailing in the direction from north to south say four or five hours making progress, and of course will have tides to factor in as you move in and out from land. In some areas there will not be a port of call available in short time spans, so you will arrive or depart at night or chose to stay put heave-to offshore, [with nightwatch] or just sail through the night.

Check on the Covid restrictions of the Bahamas, presently Eleuthera and Exuma are in lockdown with no domestic interisland travel allowed into or out of those islands, but apparently their cays are still open. Remains a very fluid situation subject to changes without notice. Be sure to keep fully provisioned for extended periods of not being allowed to make landfall as to food, fuel and water. One could be required to lay at anchor for a longtime or to make transit passage through the Bahamas directly without permission to anchor.

Covid manages to impose its own schedule and places of travel or non-travel.

All the best.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 13:31   #21

Do realize that rebuilding efforts on the northern islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama are slow, and in some areas haven't even started. By way of example, many residents still do not have safe drinking water due to the massive devastation of Hurricane Dorian in September 2019 and renewed damage of Hurricane Isaias in August 2020. Eluethera and Exuma are impacted by tight quarantine protocols. The restrictions on New Providence have been eased a bit.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 13:59   #22

Boat: 15 metre Catamaran

I wish we'd have seen this thread last week. We just left beaufort last Friday, and are now in Charleston. We'd have been glad to give you pointers.

Do you have Radar on the boat? Wrightsville is a good long dayhop from Beaufort, then go inside to Southport, and exit the Cape Fear river there, so as to avoid having to go around the fryingpan shoals. From there, you could make Georgetown (just at the inlet, not all the way up to town) and anchor there, then to Charleston.

I agree with what other posters have said, you'll waste a lot of time going in and out of inlets, and only half your time making way south. If you have a chartplotter, radar, and ais receiver (or transceiver) then a nighttime hop will be easy. The only thing stopping you will be your own apprehension. It's tough, without a cheerleader (buddy boat), but you CAN do it.

Your first overnight might be best with little wind, and the engines on. Most folks take solace with the sound of the engines, and feel somehow more in control.

Don't run hellbent for the next anchorage, roaring engines just work on the nerves. Set yourself a speed that's reasonably quiet, and comfortable. I hate the engines, and tend to run at 6 knots, where they're quietest. We can motor at 10 knots, but always choose 6 or less.

Decide how far you want to go, set your autopilot, and put the mainsail up (reefed if you like), then just go out there and see what it's like. It's not nearly as scary as you're probably thinking.

My only fear at night (motoring) is those darn little fishing buoys. You don't have to worry much offshore, so at night, stay a little offshore. There's no more safety near shore than offshore, just more to hit.

Having said all that. Use the waterway on days where the wind isn't what you want, and go offshore on days you're happy with the winds.

Cheers, and have a great trip. You've got a seriously tough boat. Be confident, and we hope to see you at anchor somewhere down the line.

Paul.
Old 02-12-2020, 14:34   #23

Arrow Re: Newbies looking for buddy boats to Bahamas Dec/2020

Thanks Grit/Paul, I saw your boat when I was walking on front street last week! Another couple we met here in a helia 44 (called Moxie) just left today and should be in Charleston tomorrow. Look out for them, great couple, Swedish guy Sven and wife Carmen from Peru.

We'd love to have your coordinates of the route you took - not sure how far off shore is good. I'm more apprehensive about going inland with the currents/tides and finding an anchoring spot, but my husband is more apprehensive about overnighting at sea. We'll work it out!

I really appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. I think we'll probably change to stay out longer so as to make more progress. Now to find that weather window once we get rid of the car!

Let's hope some of the Bahamas island remain open!!!
Old 02-12-2020, 15:06   #24

Boat: 15 metre Catamaran

You're welcome.

I'd give you a copy of our Route, but we were sailing with the autopilot set to "vane" mode. Our route was more or less towards Wrightsville beach, with a couple of tacks, until the wind went NW, and we were able to fetch the end of Fryingpan shoals. We then sailed almost directly to Charleston from there.

We're headed out this week-end for St Augustine, or thereabouts. If the wind turns foul, we'll stop earlier. We're only travelling on the week-ends these days, as my wife needs reliable cell service for work.

We tend to have two or three "possible" stops in our heads (or on the plotter), and if the wind's fair, we'll keep on sailing until we don't want to anymore. If the wind's foul, we'll cut the trip short. We dislike motoring, so our Schedule is usually cast in jello, rather than stone.

How far offshore is good? Well, since this coast is more or less concave, we just run the rhumline if the wind and obstacles allow. Otherwise, in a Westerly gale (East coast USA/Canada), we run about a mile or less offshore, to keep the waves down and the comfort level up.

Keeping the sails full is our prime consideration, so a compromise between tacking angles, and the rhumline, will generally decide our course for us.

We have folding props; so while we're sailing, we don't care much about fishing buoys.

Sailing is seldom just running from A to B. There's no "right" way to do it. Sail, or motor, to your comfort level, and within the boat's abilities. Your boat is plenty able, so just sail within your comfort level.

My final suggestion, if you're up for an overnighter. Set your sights on a destination about 150 miles from your departure point. Leave before 9am, so you know you'll arrive early. If you run into issues, and are delayed while en-route, you still have a chance to arrive in Daylight. 6 knots will give you a relaxing 150 miles in 24 hours. It's a good distance for "beginners", lots of safety, and not too demanding. If you're going to arrive before sunrise, slow down a little for the last few hours.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers.
Paul.

PS. It's easier on fuel to run just one engine. And, as a bonus, if you catch a fishing buoy, you can carry on with the other engine. Come morning, you can cut off the buoy and have two engines available to you again.

We didn't see any fish buoys (pots) on our way here from Beaufort. There are some within Charleston harbour, but we didn't see any otherwise.

PSS. Je suis un Acadien de L'IPE. (L'isle de Prince Edward)
Old 02-12-2020, 16:08   #25

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Paul said it quite well. The only things I can add are our route.
We left Beaufort nc and went overnight to georgetown. But charleston would be about the same time frame.we just really like georgetown.
Then inside to charlestown and out to brunswick(another overnight) then from brunswick to jacksonville(day hop)
At that point we stayed inside until lake worth, but I think with all the bridge scares(antenna bending over and wind instrument scraping) my wife finally agreed outside is better
From lake worth we did a 11 hour run to west end to check in. Then day sail to great sale cay, and day sail to Powell cay abacos, and small hop to green turtle where we did our day 5 test today.
Good luck, and see you down here!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:14   #26

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Most folks take solace with the sound of the engines, and feel somehow more in control.

I can only speak for myself, but if Iím motoring out an inlet for an offshore jaunt I canít wait to cut the engines and listen to the sound of the wind and waves. There is nothing better then watching a sunset from the cockpit as you sail into the night. Each to his own I guess. And yes, radar is a must. But then again I single hand every I go.

Enjoy the trip, it will be unforgettable, your first always is. True of most firsts...
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:17   #27

Boat: Catalina, MK II, 22í

Would you consider experienced crew? My boyfriend and I just got off of a 42í Lagoon (Cabana Girl) in Fort Lauderdale. Weíre looking for our next adventure! I can provide you with more information about us if youíre interested.
Sailor4Life5994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, boat