Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 17:03   #1

Newbie Questions on The Bahamas

Hello-

I have been lurking here for a few weeks researching cruising the Caribbean for three months out of the year on a 32ft monohull. I don't have a boat yet but have a bunch of experience sailing lake mi out of charlevoix with family and friends. I have people to help me find the right boat, learn how to sail it, and to make the first few larger passages.

I found that IMIS Ins. would give me insurance that covers hurricanes for 1200/ yr with 3500 deductible. Also called the green turtle boatyard in Acoba, (I read Acoba was cheaper than Nassau) they would store the boat for 6/ft per month and 150 to take the boat in and out of the water. So far it sounds reasonable.

Here is what worries me. My wife is a teacher and has may-july off and I have may-mid august off. I know that no one knows for sure where or when the weather will hit but is it a bad idea to hang out in the Caribbean during hurricane season? It is the only time I could go for a long period.

We are pretty frugal and would like to anchor out as much as possible are there a lot of anchorages in Acoba during the summer?

I really like your site, it has been very informative,

Thanks for any input,

Bill
pinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 17:10   #2

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
summer is the best time to sail in the bahamas. ps there is no acoba its abaco....jt
Old 19-08-2010, 17:35   #3

Thanks for the heads up. Acoba! I am either a noob or dyslexic.
Old 19-08-2010, 19:25   #4

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
The Bahamas are not in the Caribbean....Maybe change the title of the string.
Old 19-08-2010, 19:44   #5

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Try Nagico insurance......neinsurances@caribserve.net , the guy I deal withs name is Joshua.

As for Hurricane season... St. Lucia and south generally are deemed fairly safe...... I keep my boat in St. MArtin, but have a haul out spot so if the weather gets shitty i can get my boat out of the water before it hits.....generally you pay the in and out in advance whether you use it or not......I try and time my maintenance so if I haven't used it by the end of hurricane season I pull it out anyways and do the bottom etc...... Also a little side note.... this time of year is awesome for cruising the islands... theres almost no one else around and the weather windows for trips are awesome... you get north winds for heading south and if you hang long enough you will get days with south winds for heading north.... all that said, if a hurricane develops in the atlantic... the last thing you really want to be doing is trying to get to wherever your haul out spot is.... almost for certain that will be the day your engine stops and theres not a lot of wind before the storm. Check this spot for good hurricane predictions

Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping

... as an example you can see a disturbance out there now off of Africa.... probably not too much to worry about yet, but if you were cruising south of Guadeloupe and you haul out was in St MArtin you have about two days to get on the road and head home, just in case this thing builds.

However during the time you're looking at cruising there generally are not a lot of storms historically, and I really don't stress too much until late August and September onwards. Heres a good detailed historical site that i look at when I feel nervous, but with you leaving before the real peak of the season I wouldn't be too worried..... don't read that wrong.... I'd still be watching it with a definite hurricane plan... i just wouldn't be too worried.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastprofile.shtml
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 19:52   #6

How do I change the post title?
Old 19-08-2010, 20:14   #7

When you click on 'Post Reply' there is a place to enter the title. There are many people who cruise the Bahamas year after year and the better title might draw the attention you want.

Good Luck
Old 20-08-2010, 10:28   #8

Newbie Questions on the Bahamas

Are there plenty of good anchorages in the summertime?
Old 20-08-2010, 11:03   #9

Newbie Question on Bahamas

Get the Sara Lewis Chartbook Series, they are invaluable!
Old 20-08-2010, 11:32   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Quote:
Get the Sara Lewis Chartbook Series, they are invaluable
She means the Explorer Chartbooks, and they are excellent. Tons of anchorages in the Abacos, but they are also prone to getting hurricanes. Very few hurricane holes and they will be full up. I know some people who love the Bahamas in the summer, but they are too hot and sweaty for my taste after May. Coming from Michigan you might find the same.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:05   #11

Don't mind the heat, I have worked in the kitchen my whole life. But I am nervous about hurricanes, is there an island in the Bahamas or place in the Caribbean that has better protection against hurricanes?

Thanks again for all your input,

Bill
Old 20-08-2010, 13:27   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Personally, I prefer cruising north of Cape Hatteras, preferably north of Long Island, during the summer, with a trip to the Chesapeake around the end of September in time for the fall boat show, and then hit the ICW in early November after the hurricane season. That way you enjoy the best weather in each locale and get to see a lot more. If I were to spend the hurricane season in the Caribbean, I would head down to Panama, the San Blas Islands, and Cartagena in Columbia. Pretty safe, fascinating cruising, less crowds than further east, and not too far from the U.S. We did that a few years ago and it was fabulous. Once you get below about 10 degrees latitude there are no hurricanes. It is very hot (!!) and tropical down there during the summer (the rainy season). But, and this is a big but, I wouldn't attempt to sail down there from the US during hurricane season. Too risky.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 14:15   #13

As Teachers, sailing during summer break, I don't see how you will get south of the hurricane line. You could pay someone to move the boat south and then fly there for your 3 month break.

I agree with an earlier post that htere are beautiful places to see in the North East. However, You were looking for quiet anchorages with sandy beaches. You may need to just keep an eye on the weather and run north if you need to.

For other areas you will need to get a map and read lots and work out the options that are best for you two. Then pick up charts for each area you are considering and research some more.

By the way, this part of getting ready is very fun and exciting....ENJOY
Old 20-08-2010, 15:14   #14

Really don't want to sail the east coast, I grew up there. I am looking to buy a boat in MI trailer it to FL, and sail it south or buy a boat in the Bahamas or the Caribbean. The boat will stay south and we will fly to get to it for the three months.
Old 20-08-2010, 15:20   #15

Boat: Morgan 41 OI Ketch
I think it is great that you are finally getting out there! We traveled the Bahamas for quite sometime while we worked. Actually, we lived in the Bahamas for a year back in '90 on our 30ft Catalina. We now have a 41ft Morgan OI and have been living onboard for the last 7 years...We left Florida and made our way after all this time to Panama. Now, please enjoy every moment of this time you spend out there for the Bahamas are some of the most beautiful places we have been, of course next to the San Blas where we are now, which is also heaven..
I want to stress ONE thing of GREAT IMPORTANCE!!!! LOCK IT OR LOSE IT!!! This isnt to scare you or put a damper on your journey, no not at all. As a matter of fact, you will have an added sense of security. For the world has changed. Times are bad, dont be a victim. You can prevent any misgivings...
NOW with all said...SAFE SAILING!!! GODSPEED!!! ENJOY!!!
S/V Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas