Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:04   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Rick and Jon,

Thank you for your comments! It's looking like there should be a nice weather window, with that low passing late-Mon, leaving 15-18kt NE for Tuesday. The WX predictions are a bit confusing for Weds as, the mouth of Cape May says 12kt NE, and five miles inside the Delaware, it indicates 15kt NW. So we'll see!

If the it gets snobby 35mi up the river, is there anywhere to pull in with decent protection? We're in a full-keel Morris, though she has a centerboard and draws 3'6" with it up (Able 32, actually.) Again, I don't see any damn lights! I'm too spoiled by Florida's amusement park lateral system!

Phil,

I know I don't trust someone just because they have a USCG license. I've taken those tests and it's scary how little one has to know! Plus, tall ship sailing is a bit different - standing on the quarter and keeping your watch safe, following the captain's plans is far from deciding which unlit channel to take!

Anyway, maybe we can come down over spring break. If not, next summer? I have masters auditions in Jan/Feb, and my last semester of undergrad in spring!

Give my love to Nellie, and keep cool. I know I will be!
Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:04   #17

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I would allow a bit more time. The Delaware is a pain in a NW wind.
The upper Chesapeake is uncomplicated.

Be careful, and good luck.
I agree (I was to simple) give your self more time and it depends on wind direction. Upper chesapeake in a south blow with an ebb tide can get ugly too.
I stop in Henlopen and regroup for the best run. How tired I am, weather conditions and tides all weighed. Really watch the shipping. Sometimes you will see very little and its easy to let your guard down. Great place for ais and vigilance.

Enjoy
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:13   #18

Boat: 1-65'Army T-Boat 2-38' Seafarer
Aaon - I sent you email direct but it got kicked back. Just wanted to give you a few more hints - once out of NY and down Jersey Coast there is no Shipping Problems to worry about. Also seeing the postings above you leave Liberty Marina stay sail around to the Statue then just cut across and watch out for the SI Ferry. They do 24 kts and leave evry 20 mins at that time in the AM. Also have two VHFs. Keep one on channel 13 and the other on 16. When you get to VZ head straight to the outer marker RW "S" at Sandy Hook. Racon (--) isf you have Radar. Also coming out of Sandy Hook in the AM are Fast Ferry Cats doing 30+ Just leave Romer Shoal Light and Swinburn And Hoffman Is on your Staboard. Deep water all the way. The 100 miles + along the Jersey shore will be the tiring route. Sandy Hook outer marker to Manasquan is 6 hrs. From Liberty Marina to Upper NY Harbor to Lower NY Harbor to Sandy Hook is 3-4 hrs. Your Daylight will be eaten up fast. Don't tack into the inlets - Have extra fuel Best of Luck
BornSailor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03   #19

Boat: Westsail 32
Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that we had a fast, comfortable and uneventful trip south. We made Cape May in about 23 hours; beam reached with a 15-18kt WNW wind the whole way. Motor sailed for about an hour into Delaware Bay before the wind went E @ 5kt. Motored into the current all day and anchored behind the southern jetty of the D/C Canal for a calm nights sleep. Slept in and enjoyed a nice breakfast, than across the canal with a following current and into Havre de Grace about 1600 on Thurs.

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses!

Best,
Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york