Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
New York City for the 4th of July?

I am relatively new to sailing. I will be taking my boat from Chesapeake Bay to Maine. I have thought about trying to visit New York City on the 4th of July on the way. I have done the trip north to south last year without stopping in New York. Am I foolish? If I can not get a slip, would anyone consider anchoring out in that area just to see the Macy's fireworks?
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:19   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Many many people make the same trip. Several anchor out because of necessity. The marinas do fill up. I don't know where the macy's fireworks are shot from, but I am certain that you could find a good spot to anchor. There is a lot of traffic though.
Spencer
Old 04-01-2010, 15:11   #3

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
RDW,
Since I live in NYC I am a bit jaded about the fireworks displays that happen here but they are pretty memorable if you have never seen them before. I also prefer to watch the fireworks safely from shore and would not consider taking my boat out on NY Harbor on a night like that.
That said, the one marina that I think will accept an advance pre-paid transient slip for that weekend is Liberty Landing Marina - it is a bit pricey though. I am just not sure how much in advance you would need to book it. NYC Parks operates some moorings on the Hudson which are about $40/night too.
That said, they seem to change the locations of the fireworks barges from year to year so sometimes there is a barge by the Statue of Liberty (near LLM) but usually there are several barges in the East River in which you can't anchor.

LLM rates: Liberty Landing Marina - New Jersey Marina -
79th St Boat Basin: Marinas : West 79th Street Boat Basin : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
There are also about 16 moorings operated by NYC Parks located near Pier 40(Houston St.).

Good luck with your plans.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 15:58   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Welcome RDW...There are several large designated anchorages in upper New York Bay, if you decide to anchor out, mostly south and west of Liberty Is and the battery (that is the Statue of Liberty and the foot of Manhattan). Many many boats anchor out to see the fireworks so make sure you get a spot early and many leave after fireworks making for some interesting situations, suggest anchoring overnight if you have the right spot, rather than fighting the crowd...but you won't be without neighbors! We sail out of western Long Island Sound, about 2 hours up East River...happy to provide some local insight...send pm..
Last year because of the 400th anniversary of Hudson River
fireworks were on the Hudson, before that for many years they had been launched from barges on the East River and the battery. They have not announced anything for 2010 yet.
Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 16:20   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I might be mistaken, but for some reason, I believe you need to be in place early, as the Coast Guard restricts movement between certain hours on the 4th.

I would contact Liberty Harbor as soon as you know. In addition to the above mentioned...There's also Newport, and Lincoln Harbors. ( Lincoln being the furthest North on the Hudson) on the NJ side.
The Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina in Nj has moorings and anchorage, probably less expensive. You could position yourself there and sail up the river from there.
but it's a good sail back at night...easy enough though.

It IS a Zoo out there, when everyone is leaving.. so it might be best to get somewhere that is close that you could stay put..or wait till the traffic clears...if you are unfamiliar with the waters.
Old 04-01-2010, 18:16   #6

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
NYC July 4

Agree with previous posts that Liberty Landing Marina is a first rate facility, though I am sure it will be expensive.

It is conveniently located across the Hudson River from the NYC financial district in Manhattan. River taxis run frequently across the river, and it isn't a bad walk across downtown if you want to do some "touristy" things like go over to the South Street Seaport.

Have a good trip.

Marshall
Old 06-01-2010, 18:26   #7

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
When the fireworks are in the East River it's hard to get close enough to see anything. They close the river below the Brooklyn Bridge and the barges are quite a bit north. The current in the river can be stiff. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. I went once. Won't do it again.

Dick PLuta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 19:33   #8

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
I've gotta' agree with Tempest245 and Dick Pluta. The reason I would not take my own boat to NY Harbor for the fireworks is that it "is a Zoo out there" and I think that is putting it mildly. It is more like chaos with all the local power boat guys coming in for the night and DHS and NY Police boats just adding to the confusion. The CG RIBs with the machine guns mounted on deck are just the icing on the cake.
However, I don't want to discourage you from visiting NYC as there really is a lot to see and do. I just don't think that going out on your boat to see the fireworks is really advisable. It will be a 'zoo' on July 4th even on land but at least you wont have to worry about your boat. NYC is about as safe as it has ever been over the last 30 years.
If you want to see fireworks from your boat find a local smaller municipal fireworks show going on and watch that. Preferably somewhere where there aren't some rather challenging currents. In western LI Sound there are a bunch of places that do fireworks on the 4th on both the north and south shores.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 20:01   #9

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
If I wanted to see the fireworks..and was traveling by boat..I'd get a transient slip in Liberty Island Marina..

Liberty Landing Marina - New Jersey Marina -

.and make reservations at this restaurant..

Liberty House Restaurant

I had dinner there when the three "Queens" where in NY harbor at the same time......The Cunard Ships..of course...;-) They had fireworks..and it was a great view..
But i would book now...you could always cancel..

If you want to mingle with the masses you stay in NJ....take a ferry into NY early....go to Chinatown or little italy for dinner and then walk down to south street seaport to see the fireworks.....that will give you a flavor of the city....
Old 06-01-2010, 20:05   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There should be some older threads either here or on another sailing forum, the 4th in NYC has been discussed at length.

The USCG does shut down the East River and other sections, typically from roughly 6PM till midnight, to all traffic. You've got to figure on being secured in place well before the closure and remaining until "dark o-clock" since you'll probably be leaving by heading north, up the East River, which has enough current so that you're likely to want to run it only twice a day. There's no problem running it in the "dark" but you might want to do it in daylight.

The barges themselves vary positions from year to year, the Hudson or the East River or this past year, both. The main "mob guest anchorage" area is over by Ellis Island. Fouled anchors and drunks are the only real problem besides being in an open area, in the wx got really bad, you wouldn't be sleeping.

But by all means...it usually is one grand show, at least worth watching once. You could also do something radical, like tie up at Gateway Marina (Brooklyn) and take the subway into the area. Probably an hour from the marina itself (short bus then subway) into downtown, but a much cheaper quieter night's sleep. Or, take the boat into western LI sound, moor on a guest hook at a YC on City Island (also about an hour down) or out by Oyster Bay (pretty much the same hour, but RR then subway) and you'd be leaving already clear of NYC the next day.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, nyc