Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 15:41   #1

New Cruiser to Exuma, Georgetown

I am new to cruising the Bahamas but have heard some talk and see some threads here about Georgetown and it sounds like a great destination and a good place to use as a base for shorter trips.

I am on a tight budget (401k is now 201k), but I love to sail and would like to spend some time around Exuma and I was wondering how the harbour and services work at Georgetown. General questions, such as how do I get fresh water, waste disposal, where to get basic provisions and in-expensive food?

I lead a simple life and would like to supplement a basic diet, and plan to catch fish and also harvest fruit and herbs from deserted, public Cays.
Old 11-10-2010, 15:48   #2

Pier,

A few questions:
  • Do you typically pump your waste out in local harbors?
  • What fruits do you plan on harvesting?
  • You sound like you are on a very tight budget. You may want to stockpile funds for another year or more so that you can live better and be more of a financial contributor.
  • Do sail exclusively or do you use fuel?
  • Will you be purchasing beverages / food?
Old 11-10-2010, 15:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, PierPressure.

Don't mind Kill, he's got a bee in his bonnet.

Old 11-10-2010, 16:00   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Phew!! thanks Gord.
Old 11-10-2010, 16:03   #5

• I am a respectful boater and comply with local rules regarding pumping out of waste.
  • I am not sure what fruits grow wild on the island, perhaps pineapple
  • I believe that you only live once and waiting for a year may result in me never actually doing this trip.
  • I use my motor as little as possible and run my generator only when need be to conserve fuel, so I will be purchasing some fuel over my extended stay.
  • Yes I will purchase some food locally but generally stock ample supplies of drink before I set sail. Note: I do prefer the plastic "bottles" as they are lightweight and perfect for my economy plan.
Old 11-10-2010, 16:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
according to killfish, you need to wait till your 401k is an 801k. cruising is only for the privileged class. the rest of you boat bums should stay home
Old 11-10-2010, 16:41   #7

Perhaps Georgetown is an upscale destination. I can imagine that many high end yachts also frequent the area.
Old 11-10-2010, 16:43   #8

does that mean Im going to be frowned upon when I show up with old tires strapped to the hull?
Old 11-10-2010, 16:55   #9

My boat is modest, but well maintained If the marina and harbour master are honest and fair, I ususally get along. I do like to "air dry" my laundry which I have found is frowned upon by some.

Exhorbidant fees, prices and harrassment will keep me away.
Old 11-10-2010, 17:05   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i would say that anchoring out in less popular areas would increase your chances of catching a few fish. plus lessening your chances of irritating a harbour master. there's lots to see in the exumas not just georgetown.
Old 11-10-2010, 17:07   #11

You may want to look into the Florida Keys as an option. That being said, if you link up with the "right" cruisers there is alot of potlucking going on. You can decipher the "top shelf" cruisers from the bottom feeders. It is the 80/20 rule.
Old 11-10-2010, 17:14   #12

Also, Pier, can you go into more detail on your economy plan. You seem like a good guy. I may have some useful tips for you.
Old 11-10-2010, 17:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLLIONFISH View Post
You may want to look into the Florida Keys as an option. That being said, if you link up with the "right" cruisers there is alot of potlucking going on. You can decipher the "top shelf" cruisers from the bottom feeders. It is the 80/20 rule.

can you elaborate on this ??
Old 11-10-2010, 17:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
20% are "top shelf" and 80% of us are "bottom feeders"?
Old 11-10-2010, 17:39   #15

Just go

Been there twice. LOTS of boats anchored for months at a time. I don't even know if there IS a pump out. The current flushes out the poop fairly well. Good pot lucks, vollyball games and drinking. Lots of drinking. Bring as much of your favorite foods from the states as you can. Most likely you won't find them there or if you do, it will be 2x or 3x the stateside price. Don't know much about fishing and even less about catching! Last time I was there I saw a guy from France in a 20 foot sailboat with NO engine. Now HE was living cheaply!
Closed Thread

Tags
georgetown