Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32   #1

Need advice: Taking dog to Bahamas last minute

Because of several last minute changes I am in a little predicament. I'm anchored in Palm Beach ready to cross to West End, Bahamas on Wed Dec 6 in the evening. My girlfriend is flying from NY to Freeport on either Thu or Fri, she has not booked yet.
The person who was supposed to watch my dog (small one that can be carried aboard a plane) got sick and can't do it anymore. Don't want to board her but bring the dog to the Bahamas on the plane from NY. But how?

Apparently the 'Pet Import Permit' needs 3 weeks to get processed and one has to send a $15 check there so they can fax it to you. It's too late fir that now. Is there a way to pay the fee with credit card over the phone? What can be done?

Any advice and sharing of experience is much appreciated!
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:43   #2

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Need advice: Taking dog to Bahamas last minute

Call the department of Agriculture and ask. I know people have done it before. Numbers are: 242 325 7502, 325 7509, 325 3960. You can download the application from the government web site www.bahamas.gov. then go to dept of agriculture.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51   #3

Boat: 48' Hi Star

I just sent off an application for pet permit yesterday by Federal Express and enclosed $15 in cash ($10 for permit fee and $5 for fax fee). my application should get there today according to FedEx tracking. It might still take a couple of days to get it faxed back.

I suggest you call them using the phone number in the previous post. You'll have to get a vet health certificate, I think.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:21   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Get your vet to fill out the health form before you go. Can probably wing the fee once you get there if you can't do it by fax and credit card ahead of time. Just keep smiling when you get there. That solves a lot of problems.
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:53   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Ask the vet to not date the certificate. The legal requirement is 24 hours before arrival, however I have never seen that questioned. We take our dog every year and it is always a non event!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53   #6

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso52 View Post
Get your vet to fill out the health form before you go. Can probably wing the fee once you get there if you can't do it by fax and credit card ahead of time. Just keep smiling when you get there. That solves a lot of problems.
I've traveled to the Bahamas several times, by plane and boat, with dogs and cats. They are serious about the pet permit and there's no way to "wing it" because only the Dept. of Agriculture takes the fee.

I agree that a phone call to the Dept. of Agriculture is your best bet. Tell your story and ask for help.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas