Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05   #1

Boat: 14' Hobie
Need a good bareboat charter company in the Keys.

New to the forum here but been looking around and like the people I see and looks like a great place. Realitively new to cruising but hope to be doing more and more.

Looking to do a 4 day bareboat charter in the Keys next year and I'm putting together a list of potential charter companies and to my surprise not finding many. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
Amish Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Florida Yacht Charters. You can charter in Miami, and go to the Keys. I have used them 1/2 dozen times, and never a problem. You can also charter with them out of Abaco.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:22   #3

Boat: Hirsch Gulfstar 45 Magic Genie
Might try

Might try Yachting Vacations, they have a large selection of new and newer boats.
funsailthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 13:43   #4

Boat: Hunter 34 - Rapid Transit
Florida is not the best place to charter. Go BVIs!
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:28   #5

Boat: 14' Hobie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Florida is not the best place to charter. Go BVIs!
Would love to, unfortunately we only have 5 days available including travel time. With Florida we can fly down in the morning and be on the boat by 1:00, BVI we would lose a day on each side for travel alone and only get 3 days on the boat.
Amish Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:17   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Pirate View Post
Would love to, unfortunately we only have 5 days available including travel time. With Florida we can fly down in the morning and be on the boat by 1:00, BVI we would lose a day on each side for travel alone and only get 3 days on the boat.
A good reason to go with FYC. You can get on the boat in Key West, or Miami, and sail the opposite direction leaving the boat. At least they use to have that option.....i2f

Florida Yacht Charters

Bareboat charter boats Miami Beach:
http://www.floridayacht.com/charters/fleet.php?loc_id=1

Bareboat charter boats Key West: http://www.floridayacht.com/charters/fleet.php?loc_id=2
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 18:41   #7

Boat: hunter 35.5
If you are looking to gunk hole and just relax you may consider burnt store marina north of fort Myers. South west Florida yacht charter is the cheapest co at the marina. You can fly into ft Myers and take a cab to the marina only 45 min away.
mastconfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 06:38   #8

I'm on my way to Key West to bareboat with Southernmostsailing.com. It looks to be a nice setup. I let you know how it goes.
freightdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:51   #9

let me jump in here

How was your experience with Southernmost Sailing? I have just booked a 43' Beneteau for after Christmas.
Thanks,
Balazs
vitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:55   #10

The family had a good time for the most part. The weather was beautiful, the snorkeling at various reefs - great! We decided to hang out in the Key West area most of the time, anchoring behind different islands each night and sailing (and motoring) to different reefs each day ( Sand Key, Western Sambo, etc.), and, of course, listening to Jimmy B. One day there were just too many Man-O-Wars and jelly fish in the water to make snorkeling any fun. But we had two kyaks on the catamaran that were a lot of fun to use on that and everyday.

The two boats in the company that I saw were older for the most part. The boats were nothing like the fleet of new boats that the Moorings offers; however, they seem to be in good condition, but still needed a little TLC. (but that's why the prices are so much cheaper than other companies in the Keys) We upgraded from the 43' monohull to a Catamaran because my group was just too large for the monohull (my mistake). I did like that the owner was always willing to work with you to make you trip a memorable one. I didn't care for the dingy that we were given and decided to go without.

It was a completely different experience than sailing in the BVIs. Sailing in the Keys was nice; however, there just aren't the coves and marinas to sail into and the tall, beautiful islands to enjoy looking at. The sailing companies are smaller and the selection of boats to choose from...the same. So like every good sailor you just have to be mechanically inclined, flexible with your schedule, and not afraid to get you hands dirty to make your trip work out. I really find sailing vacations to be truly enjoyable working vacations.

So, let me know if you have anymore questions and enjoy your trip!
freightdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:13   #11

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Cheers!
vitger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, florida keys