Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 09:57   #1

Navionics Belize Missing Detail

Just did an upgrade of Navionics and all the detail north of 17°N is missing,. Anyone else seen this problem? We've contacted Navionics but they're being slow to respond.
bootneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:04   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Navionics Belize Missing Detail

Did they ever have the data?

They didn't have any chart info in 2014 when we went through.... Neither did Cmaps or Garmin. Anything that did show on the carts for Belize was horribly off.

The cruising guide for the area was the one tool to get through ok. But, maybe someone finally sounded the area and the chart makers are more up-to-date.

Matt
Old 02-04-2019, 10:39   #3

Yeah I think all the charts are not accurate, but the old version did have some detail, and there is still detail in northern and southern Belize, just a chunk missing in the middle. We've got the old version on a phone so it must be the update that caused it.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:19   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We'll that's a pain!

Belize is one of the few places we've been where the guide book was required reading. Their gps tracks were awesome assurance in those coral filled waters. Enjoy the islands!

Matt
Old 02-04-2019, 11:47   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We'll that's a pain!

Belize is one of the few places we've been where the guide book was required reading. Their gps tracks were awesome assurance in those coral filled waters. Enjoy the islands!

Matt
Cmaps looks better on sasplanet, download here >
http://gdayii.ca/Downloads/Sasplanet.zip

Then you can download for opencpn, brief how to here >
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2860707
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:17   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We'll that's a pain!

Matt
Freya Raucher's guide is still the only complete, accurate, and detailed navigation reference for Belize.

Both Navionics & CMAP lack detail almost everywhere and are also innaccurate in many areas.

Both the Belize City and Palcencia areas have had recent surveys due to commercial traffic (cruise ships are planning to start calling in Placencia...despite local objections). These two areas are detailed and accurate in Navionics/CMAP.

Bottom line: get a copy of Freya's guide and dont rely on any electronic charts.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:39   #7

Yeah we've got Freya's latest edition and understand the inaccuracies of electronic charts, Cuba was a good lesson on that point. This is the first time we've had an issue with Navionics and was wondering if anyone else had the problem. Also compared to other boating OEMs such as Garmin and Raymarine, Navionics support is pretty much non existent!
Old 02-04-2019, 14:34   #8

True, Ive wasted my time reporting inaccuracies to Navionics in the past...they are not interested.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:13   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

sorry but... everyone should know that it is very dangerous to rely on electronic charts and the only way to reduce risks is to use local paper charts AND watch out!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:55   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
sorry but... everyone should know that it is very dangerous to rely on electronic charts and the only way to reduce risks is to use local paper charts AND watch out!
Not really though, data will likely be the same ancient surveys on paper charts as electronic and datum could also be way out on both, best to use anything and everything you and lay your hands on but trust nothing completely.
Google satellite images in opencpn can be gold dust sometimes when everything else is ancient or doesn't even exist. Marinetraffic ais density page sometime well worth a look as well.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:32   #11

Boat: Amel Super Maramu

We had the same problem with Navionics when going to Tunisia. Bought the North African AND Mediterranean set of charts and guess what? No Tunisia! I contacted Navionics and they told me it was on the Black Sea charts. No where near Tunisia! I asked for a refund or credit so I could purchase the relevant charts and they couldn't have been less interested - told me to contact the app store for a refund, but the App store wouldn't allow it.. so I gave up in the end. Haven't bought anything from Navionics since.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:27   #12

Boat: Oyster 55

I purchased Navionics Caribbean charts for my iPad in 2010 and it has Belize all the way up to Mexico. That was before Navionics divided their charts into many small charts. One chart has all of the Caribbean, Gulf, and east coast USA all the way to Canada. Another has all of the Med including Tunisia. Another has all the Pacific and Indian Oceans. That was also before Navionics started their annual subscription business. I refuse to register my charts and get snared into that.

Yes, the Belize charts have have some serious inaccuracies—because they are based on the same inaccurate PAPER charts. Paper won’t help you except in the form of the guide book.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 16:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Not really though, data will likely be the same ancient surveys on paper charts as electronic and datum could also be way out on both, best to use anything and everything you and lay your hands on but trust nothing completely.
Google satellite images in opencpn can be gold dust sometimes when everything else is ancient or doesn't even exist. Marinetraffic ais density page sometime well worth a look as well.

Yes, most areas of Belize still only have old British surveys. There are some in excellent condition in a museum in Belize City. The old techniques were quite good and some of these survey maps are like works of art...and also quite accurate.

Obviously they have never been converted to digital data. Electronic charts would be better if they had. I dont know where Navionics sources the data for Belize, but some if it is pure garbage. Same is true in the eastern San Blas, Panama...many areas that dont even vaguely resemble reality.

That traffic density image is cool. That's Eastern Channel, where cruise ships and other commercial traffic come & go.

Tags
Belize, navionics